Soft luggage option instead of top box?

Poncherello

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’ve got a 1250GS- with Vario panniers. They will suit for me for 99% of the year. I’m off to Scotland for a 4 day tour with the wife and she’s worried about comfort with no top box behind her.
I’d appreciate views and suggestions on what I can do to give her the reassurance that she can ease back on motorways and the like. I understand it’s not a Goldwing armchair but I don’t want to go to the expense of the Vario top box. Is there any soft luggage which is secure enough to work instead?

Hello everyone, I’ve got a 1250GS- with Vario panniers. They will suit for me for 99% of the year. I’m off to Scotland for a 4 day tour with the wife and she’s worried about comfort with no top box behind her.
I’d appreciate views and suggestions on what I can do to give her the reassurance that she can ease back on motorways and the like. I understand it’s not a Goldwing armchair but I don’t want to go to the expense of the Vario top box. Is there any soft luggage which is secure enough to work instead?
I ride solo all the time, but all my bulky kit gets put in one of these https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/60l-dry-bag-holdall-black/ They are great quality & at the price, can't be beaten. I attach them to the bike with 'Rok straps'. Depending how you pack it, will provide a good back rest.

Lomo is good quality and doesn't cost a fortune. I am a lone rider and opted to use a Kriega US 10 as that's all I need for my F750 GS.
Kriega do a GS specific attachment kit that bolts to rack fixings to help with securing I use an additional strap for belt n braces security.

To be honest the options of a soft bag would not give the same support as the vario, or other top boxes , they just do what you need , you may find one second hand one .

I’m off to Scotland for a 4 day tour with the wife and she’s worried about comfort with no top box behind her….. what I can do to give her the reassurance that she can ease back on motorways and the like.

If all you want is a bag that will also give her the reassurance that she can ease back, I’d suggest the BMW Small Softbag. Leaving aside some sort of ‘reassurance’, they are very good bags. I use one on several different motorbikes. Failing that, click on the link below to get ideas on something to suit your pocket AND her reassurance.

I have and use one. Bought and sold second had on here. As Wapping says they are a great bit of kit that is extremely secure.

BarryIMG_0713.jpeg

Poncherello, I know exactly what you mean, or I should say my wife, Sally, does. It really is much harder in terms of comfort for a pillion and that little bit of support/anti- slide makes all of the difference. We don’t use a top box but instead a very well secured roll bag. It’s enough for Sal to push back into and feel secure. The one in the picture is a 30L.96503780-935F-4BFF-A6FB-777F4A8176C4.jpeg

My Mrs is the same. On the BMW I have a Givi topbox which lives on there, the panniers are only fitted when needed. The Guzzi has the rack fitted for touring, that moves the indicators back a couple of inches,and the Lomo throwovers then fit. I use a big rucksack on the rack to give ‘erself some confidence. She’s not at all comfortable on the Guzzi without the rack, even though there’s plenty of me to hold on to.

If all you want is a bag that will also give her the reassurance that she can ease back, I’d suggest the BMW Small Softbag. Leaving aside some sort of ‘reassurance’, they are very good bags. I use one on several different motorbikes. Failing that, click on the link below to get ideas on something to suit your pocket AND her reassurance.

Thanks. A good review and the BMW option scores well.

Thanks. A good review and the BMW option scores well.

The good things about the bag are:

1. It is an all but universal fit, the three lengths of decent quality securing straps are very useful.

2. The bag is waterproof, which saves having to use a separate liner.

3. Unexpanded, the bag is a decent size. Expanded, it is not so huge as to be annoyingly large.

4. Good resale value.

Thanks all, I’ve posted in the Wanted section for a Small Soft Bag, failing that … I think I’ll try a roll bag. Advice much appreciated. 👍✌️

I have one of these and I find them excellent, however I believe that BMW no longer make this bag.

They now promote the Black collection here www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/individualisation/accessories/black-collection.html

Although it'll never give the same level of support as a top box as others have said, I recently took a punt on one of these when I went to Scotland with friends and didn't want to take the pannier but my top box is too small. Looks like they've ripped off the same design as the new BMW ones mentioned above - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...!rec!UK!2410787499&curPageLogUid=Hyr5gTcNZh8S

It performed fine for 4 days in Scotland and survived a rain shower although it does have a rain cover as well. Once secured it was rock solid and didn't move an inch so I guess a pillion could use it to lean against a little for confidence.

Although it'll never give the same level of support as a top box as others have said, I recently took a punt on one of these when I went to Scotland with friends and didn't want to take the pannier but my top box is too small. Looks like they've ripped off the same design as the new BMW ones mentioned above - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004266830627.html?spm=a2g0o.home.15002.31.650c2145zpmMNm&gps-id=pcJustForYou&scm=1007.13562.332306.0&scm_id=1007.13562.332306.0&scm-url=1007.13562.332306.0&pvid=900fb164-11f8-454c-a110-75a7274d2c75&_t=gps-id:pcJustForYou,scm-url:1007.13562.332306.0,pvid:900fb164-11f8-454c-a110-75a7274d2c75,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8112#1997&pdp_npi=3@dis!GBP!22.36!15.2!!!!!@211b5e2b16908007890823015e32fa!12000028571937944!rec!UK!2410787499&curPageLogUid=Hyr5gTcNZh8S

It performed fine for 4 days in Scotland and survived a rain shower although it does have a rain cover as well. Once secured it was rock solid and didn't move an inch so I guess a pillion could use it to lean against a little for confidence.
For £26 … a 30l bag.. worth a punt. Thank you. Obvs won’t be anywhere near BMW quality but I’ve had no luck in the Wanted section..

For £26 … a 30l bag.. worth a punt. Thank you. Obvs won’t be anywhere near BMW quality but I’ve had no luck in the Wanted section..
Think it’s 42litres expanded, I was pretty impressed with the quality for the price 👍🏻

If you want your wife to accompany you on the bike in future, get a top box and show her she is worth the cost!

I use Bumot soft bags mounted all the time and tour mostly with just them. Only time I put on the topbox is if I'm riding with a pillion and only for their back support

Back
Top Bottom