TPMs pulling my hair out!?

Inusleroux

Reaction score
Hi everyone it’s been a while.

My 2019 R1250GSA Rally decided to lose the the rear wheel pressure reading…
I have MotoScan and the sensor activating tool but too no avail.

I have also now lost the front, but I think this was my own doing by deleting it by mistake.

I’ve followed guidelines on here how to do it , followed instructions on MotoScan but it just won’t do it. My nearest BMW dealer has been bought over by Arnold Clark(shark) been waiting 2 weeks now to hear if they can do it.

Is the sensor not activating in the rim must you remove it or how close does the activation tool need to be to it? I would think it should work by just hold it next to it…

MotoScan just keeps saying failed to learn sensor.
Any suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated!

First, are you sure the batteries are ok? If they are, point the activation tool against the side wall of the tyre above where the sensor is. kind of pointing toward where it is inside the tyre.

I can dig out my sensor activation tool of you're passing anywhere near Stirling area. My guess is that for some reason your activation tool is not activating the sensor (dodgy tool or dodgy sensor). I have a spare rear wheel, and a sensor tool if you're anywhere nearby... I'm in Clackmannanshire

Do you know the ID number of the sensors such that you can enter them manually to the RDC via Motoscan? If so, you must do both sensors at the same time with Motoscan. If not, any tire shop should be able to "diagnose" the sensors and tell you the ID numbers using their TPMS tool. If the tool does not have a menu for motorcycles tell them to set the tool to a 2009 Vauxhall Astra or a Opel Astra H. If the tool has access to a menu for North America a 2009 Saturn Astra.

The activation tool should work when placed near the sensor but you may have to try several orientations. Make sure the tool has a fresh battery.

First, are you sure the batteries are ok? If they are, point the activation tool against the side wall of the tyre above where the sensor is. kind of pointing toward where it is inside the tyre.
I’m not sure on the batteries 2019 32000 miles maybe. But it’s was working until the rear wheel was removed for brakes overall

I can dig out my sensor activation tool of you're passing anywhere near Stirling area. My guess is that for some reason your activation tool is not activating the sensor (dodgy tool or dodgy sensor). I have a spare rear wheel, and a sensor tool if you're anywhere nearby... I'm in Clackmannanshire
Thanks but I’m abit far from you at the moment. I’m near Dornoch. Have a full MotoScan subscription and brand new activation tool from Amazon

Do you know the ID number of the sensors such that you can enter them manually to the RDC via Motoscan? If so, you must do both sensors at the same time with Motoscan. If not, any tire shop should be able to "diagnose" the sensors and tell you the ID numbers using their TPMS tool. If the tool does not have a menu for motorcycles tell them to set the tool to a 2009 Vauxhall Astra or a Opel Astra H. If the tool has access to a menu for North America a 2009 Saturn Astra.

The activation tool should work when placed near the sensor but you may have to try several orientations. Make sure the tool has a fresh battery.
Thanks this looks like an idea….. I’m thinking my next step is trying to get the code and enter it manually. I’ll give dome of the tyre guys a ring tomorrow…. Would the codes be on the sensor as a suppose I can tire of the rim and look for it.

Thanks but I’m abit far from you at the moment. I’m near Dornoch. Have a full MotoScan subscription and brand new activation tool from Amazon
Well. it's either the sensor or the wake-up tool. If you can get hold on another sensor (or wake up tool) you'll be able to see which one is faulty... Process of elimination :)

Thanks this looks like an idea….. I’m thinking my next step is trying to get the code and enter it manually. I’ll give dome of the tyre guys a ring tomorrow…. Would the codes be on the sensor as a suppose I can tire of the rim and look for it.

Depending on the source of the sensor the ID number may or may not be on a label on the sensor.

As mentioned above a bad sensor is always a possibility.

When I was retrofitting and RDC to my bike I was getting frustrated by the ID number entry in Motoscan untill I figured out that you need to enter both ID numbers even if one of the numbers is already coded in the RDC.

Another (less likely) issue is possible if you purchased BMW sensors (horribly overpriced) from a dealer and they erroneously gave you LDL sensors (used 2022+) rather than the Schrader sensors your bike needs.

If you find someone locally with an Autel TPMS diagnostic tool you get the answer whether it's a bad sensor or batteries that's gone. Considering that they quote about 5 yrs battery life, and both have gone at the same time, it's possible. I know most will have sensors that have lasted longer but...... 32k miles is more than most do in 5 years.

Can you not activate the TPMS unit's with Motoscan Ultimate ?
No it doesn’t give you that option. I’ve had MotoScan probably since 2013 and it’s good for reading codes but as soon as you need more from it, it starts crashing or it just says failed. I’ve never used the 911 tool maybe it’s time to change. I’ve now bought an additional toy to my collection, an Autel tpms tool. Will see what that does.

I’ve now bought an additional toy to my collection, an Autel tpms tool. Will see what that does.
This should find what the issue is. Don't know how it works with MotoScan though. I use GS-911

Just to add my experience. Fitted a new sensor (new type not the banana type) to an RT. No code on the sensor (bought from BMW), so you couldn't programme manually. Took the bike to a friends garage, he plugged it into his computer. Still needed my wakeup tool to wake the sensor up, then he was able to programme it into the ecu. The wakeup tool enabled the sensor to be recognised. If you need new sensors, the Schrader ones are available from KTM and are the same ones fitted to BMW but cheaper.

How about a manual pencil tyre gauge (no batteries to go flat) in your bike’s tool kit - for £5-£10

Code out the TPS and fit normal tubeless valves

Look at all this angst you could avoid and not to mention expense and unnecessary running about to & fro (save the planet with less journeys)

TPMS is it really worth it - another gimmick

How about a manual pencil tyre gauge (no batteries to go flat) in your bike’s tool kit - for £5-£10

Code out the TPS and fit normal tubeless valves

Look at all this angst you could avoid and not to mention expense and unnecessary running about to & fro (save the planet with less journeys)

TPMS is it really worth it - another gimmick
Using a manual pencil gauge while riding along poses certain challenges.

Unless it is a massive puncture TPMS gives you early warning of decreasing tire pressure affording you enough time to slow down and get off the road before handling is seriously affected.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I'm glad I don't have this unnecessary shite on any of my bikes or esa and abs tft and silly wheels keep it basic and get on and enjoy the ride rather than BMW dealer taking me for a ride

I'm glad I don't have this unnecessary shite on any of my bikes or esa and abs tft and silly wheels keep it basic and get on and enjoy the ride rather than BMW dealer taking me for a ride

Our two bikes are from 2010 and 2011. We have TPMS and ABS which I don't mind as they are safety features. No ESA, no TFT (not that that is relevant to a discussion of TPMS) and FWIW I do all my own servicing and repair such that neither bike has been back to a dealer since the 1000 km service.

Having TPMS and ABS adds to enjoying the ride since they add safety while remaining completely unobtrusive and trouble free.

Using a manual pencil gauge while riding along poses certain challenges.

Unless it is a massive puncture TPMS gives you early warning of decreasing tire pressure affording you enough time to slow down and get off the road before handling is seriously affected.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Trouble is I cannot turn off the RDC Error orange triangle light off, And its annoying me.

Back
Top Bottom