Want to find a switched live - R100CS

casbar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want to fit some rear LEDs to provide running lights and brighter brake lights. I have a set of Skene P3s, I have had the same system fitted on two of my RTs and they work well, no flashing bits, just running and brake.

So I need to pickup a switched live, have also purchased a Fuzeblock so will fit that and run any accessories from that. Having looked at the Haynes manual and trawled the net, from what I can see, the best place to pickup a switched live is from the ignition and probably tap into the fuse block in the back of the headlamp, then run it back under the tank to under the seat.

Is there anywhere else a switched live is lurking? Asked the same question on the facebook Airhead Assn page, had two replies, one bloke warning me of not using flashing brake lights as they are not UK legal (not useful as I don't intend too), and another guy suggesting I take it from the aux socks - I don't have an aux socket, it is an 82 bike.

I used the switched feed to the instrument lights to switch a relay with its own fused power feed from the battery

In theory you can take the feed from the coils no prob,
In reality it’s probably best not to,as a wiring fault on your aux systems could cause extra load on the coil feed wiring and lead to a breakdown or running issues due to 40 year old wiring.
I realise it’s a bit of a ball ache removing the fairing and headlamp assy but I’d take my switched feed from the ign switch, via a discrete black wire.
I’d also go belt and braces and fit a3amp inline fuse into the ign supply wire ,so a short on that would just
Knock out the aux circuit rather than cause issues to the original wiring.

In theory you can take the feed from the coils no prob,
In reality it’s probably best not to,as a wiring fault on your aux systems could cause extra load on the coil feed wiring and lead to a breakdown or running issues due to 40 year old wiring.
I realise it’s a bit of a ball ache removing the fairing and headlamp assy but I’d take my switched feed from the ign switch, via a discrete black wire.
I’d also go belt and braces and fit a3amp inline fuse into the ign supply wire ,so a short on that would just
Knock out the aux circuit rather than cause issues to the original wiring.
Great plan, thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom