Wunderlich engine protection plate - any good?

G&T

“OK sweet heart... just one last ride”
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Previously I’ve fitted a fender extender mud guard to save the front engine, but it changed the Rallye look of the bike. I found this plate and wondered if anyone here has tried it?

Welsh gravel roads an be brutal.
E1D5C9B9-3A5E-447A-8F1F-14BC5BECA239.jpeg

I had a similar thing on my previous bike ('17 1200 GSA). Not sure of the brand (Not Wunderlich) but colour-matched to engine and I hope it did its job, no massive dents or paint chips seen.
I'll be fitting one at some point to the current bike

I bought something similar from aliexpress - it was very bendy metal - felt very cheap - no idea if the wunderlich one is like that? Probably not, but I suspect you probably have to pay nearly £100 for that one you are showing.

I had a similar thing on my previous bike ('17 1200 GSA). Not sure of the brand (Not Wunderlich) but colour-matched to engine and I hope it did its job, no massive dents or paint chips seen.
I'll be fitting one at some point to the current bike
I notice that there are some other brands that make this. Let me know if you remember. Only issue I see it doesn’t quite cover the left and right lip of the engine case. Good to know it seemed to protect your bike - thanks.

I bought something similar from aliexpress - it was very bendy metal - felt very cheap - no idea if the wunderlich one is like that? Probably not, but I suspect you probably have to pay nearly £100 for that one you are showing.
£50 from wunderlich. Cheaper options out there that look similar but I bet the bolts will be cheap and nasty.

PS - If you ring them to order, they will usually do 10% which offsets the postage

It's quite study material. Couldn't really say just how effective it's been on its own, as I also have a fender extender. Stupid price for what it is, though like with a lot of things right now prices are being hiked. Don't think it was much more than 30 quid four years ago.

To add, the evotech looks more sculptured, and snug, whereas the wunderlich is kept at a distance from the engine by two spacers. Given that evotech are usually good quality - and typically better engineered than wunderlich - I think I'd go that route.

In the end I went for the machine art fender extender. Why? I’ve used it before and never had a problem with stone chips. The alternatives above don’t cover the lip around the engine casing. A little wider and it would do, so not sure why they designed them that way. Only downside on the fender extender is that is looks more tourer than Rallye but that’s the compromise. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom