WW1 Trip To Belgium & France - July 2015

Deleted account 200502001

Reaction score
PId been wanting to do a trip to see some of the WW1 locations for some time, but never got around to doing it. So when a planned trip to Belgium Spa was cancelled at short notice, myself and a couple of mates decided to get our arse into gear and do a WW1 trip instead. Having read Mike P’s brilliant ride report (click here) I decided id like to visit some of the same locations.

Being the anniversary of the Somme, accommodation was hard to find, but I managed to book a room at Talbot House in Poporinge Belgium. Having pre programmed a few locations into my sat nav the three of us set off on 2nd July to catch the overnight Hull/Zeebrugge ferry…

WW1%20Set%20Off_zpsv2cjf5vg.jpg

image1_zpsvcv9kynq.jpg

Day 1

Arriving at Zeebrugge at 9am the following morning we decided that whilst the weather was perfect we ought to ride to the furthest location we wanted to see - Lochnagar Crater, south of Arras, France. After a 2hr ride in baking heat we had almost got to the crater when we saw our first cemetery, and decided to stop and have a look…

Warlen Court Cemetery

As expected the cemetery looked immaculately well kept…

P1020099_zpsbs3uebwg.jpg

P1020102_zpsgu8nyfvx.jpg

P1020111_zpskqzq3lla.jpg

I noticed that some graves were grouped right next to each other, I learnt that this signified a group burial...

P1020110_zpsztp0wtwp.jpg

Before we left we signed the visitors book located in a hatch in the wall...

P1020104_zpsg9ss7h8i.jpg

Then we set off to see the crater located further down the road.

Lochnagar Crater

P1020123_zpsubus4egr.jpg

This is one of many craters resulting in underground mines being packed with explosives, this one was intended to clear a gap in the German defences for our troops to advance through. Many were killed. Its difficult to comprehend what it must have been like for anyone caught in this explosion, or even just witnessing it...

P1020139_zpsc79jz75l.jpg

To get an idea of the size of this crater, if you zoom in you can can see three people sat under the trees to the left...

P1020128_zpsouqncxuq.jpg

On the edge of the crater a cross indicates where a body had been found in 1998…

P1020137_zpsndeqiuq4.jpg

Heres the inscription on the plaque of the cross...

P1020138_zpseneyvhxl.jpg

The chap from the parked up motorhome had been in the area for a few days and came across to show us a shell fragment he had found the previous day in a neighbouring farmers field….

P1020144_zpsivpr20pt.jpg

I had hoped to visit Theipval Memorial whilst we were in the area, but time was ticking on and so we decided to ride back up norf to Poperinge, Belgium to check into our accommodation. I knew that Peace Pond was located en route, but sadly my sat nav was playing up and we never got to see it, but at least we got to our accommodation - Talbot House….

Talbot House

Toc-H (as it was referred to during WW1) was used by soldiers resting from the front line, and is now a museum as well as serving as accommodation. It has been kept almost the way it was during WW1 and is staffed mostly by volunteers

Talbot House website

talbot-house.jpg

The plaque on the main entrance door...

IMG_7886_zps0pflk8pt.jpg

It is mostly run by volunteers and at the time of our visit a lovely elderly English couple were helping run the place, who made us a pot of tea on arrival (as they did for us every day). Its a very peaceful place and although it serves as an interesting museum the rooms are closed off to the public when occupied. None of the rooms are ensuite, but there are showers & toilets on each floor. Just be careful not to be walking back across the landing with just a towel around you as a group of visiting students are walking up the stairs, and ensure your mates don’t purposely lock you out of the room!! :mad:

There was a great photo on the wall of how Toc-H looked back in the day...

P1020349_zpsnnljktja.jpg

And how it looks now, hardly any different...

P1020347_zps8upthhvm.jpg

Some inside shots...

P1020339_zpshcxfbnhp.jpg

P1020341_zpscgu8bnk8.jpg

P1020338_zpsdcpy7ult.jpg

The original chapel on the top floor..

P1020356_zpsvdjrhwfo.jpg

The communal kitchen for residents to use...

P1020335_zpsfjt9j32f.jpg

The garden...

P1020346_zpsg1x5yko7.jpg

Sadly Toc-H doesn't have a car park, but there is suitable on street parking around the back. After asking politely, we were kindly allowed to park our bikes a the bottom of the garden, just enough room for our three bikes...

P1020149_zpsiyfqcpsx.jpg

Poperinge

Poperinge has a lovely old square, but frustratingly a fairground had taken residence for the weekend, spoiling its appearance. Though this didn't stop us enjoying a steak dinner and a few Belgium beers whilst planning our next day…..

image4_zps9n9azkqc.jpg

image2_zpsgq8ijekh.jpg

image3_zpsl99dbixo.jpg

Day 2

We had planned to ride straight to Mons first thing in the morning, but over breakfast we got talking to an ex serviceman (Royal Engineers) who was travelling alone, sightseeing on his BMW 1100RT. He was a bit of a historian on the subject of WW1, and so we decided to amend our plans by accepting his invitation to ride with him to the Pachendale Museum…

Passchendaele Memorial Museum

P1020164_zps1wsdedu7.jpg

This is a great museum contained in an impressive mansion, with exhibits on the upper levels and the cellar converted to a mock trench ‘dug out’. There was also a small cinema. Outside are really good examples of the different kinds of WW1 trenches, both English and German…

P1020156_zpsbc6luac7.jpg

P1020158_zpsbrw2zk9w.jpg

P1020163_zpslwomruud.jpg

P1020162_zpsrtoyvqhd.jpg

Heres a photo taken in the car park of a tosser wearing a ukgser tshirt…

P1020153_zpspy7gmjdp.jpg

It was still a baking hot sunny day so a quick drink in the outdoor cafe and then it was off to our next location …

Tyne Cott Cemetery

This is one of the larger cemeteries, but is still a beautiful place to visit. It is located on the site of what was the German line, with some of the concrete German bunkers still visible. This cemetery had more visitors due to its size, with a large carpark adjacent to it...

P1020177_zps57znt8hg.jpg

P1020187_zps2d7ljmpt.jpg

P1020188_zps9yajtdnd.jpg

P1020189_zpsqogqvcce.jpg

On a wall surrounding one end of the cemetery are listed the names of all the missing soldiers..

P1020196_zps8j5qngkr.jpg

P1020211_zpsc6jzmdos.jpg

P1020214_zpsxsxz9g3u.jpg

P1020216_zpssjvadjg2.jpg

There are 4 German graves, heres one of them...

P1020209_zpsii2vsipm.jpg

Then it was off to Mons....

Mons

It took just over an hour to ride to Mons. The railway bridge over the Mons-Condé Canal was another location I'd read about in Mike P’s thread, and also recall it featuring in one of Richard Holmes (WW1 historian) tv programmes. Mons is significant for many events during WW1. It was the location of the first proper conflict between the Brits and the Germans, and was also where the first VC's were awarded. It was also where the first ever VC was awarded to a private. As well as containing the cemetery of where Lieutenant Dease is buried, it is also where both the first and last casualties of WW1 are buried.

Heres a quote from a wikipedia article regarding Sidney Godley VC and Lieutenant Dease VC...

On 23 August 1914, at Mons, Belgium on the Mons-Condé Canal, Lieutenant Maurice Dease and Sidney Godley were manning the machine gun after the previous crews were either killed or wounded. When Lieutenant Dease had been mortally wounded and killed, and the order to retreat was issued Private Godley offered to defend the Nimy Railway Bridge while the rest of the section retreated. Godley held the bridge single-handed under very heavy fire and was wounded twice. Shrapnel entered his back when an explosion near him went off, and he was shot in the head. Despite his injuries he carried on the defence of the bridge while his comrades escaped. His citation read: For coolness and gallantry in fighting his machine gun under a hot fire for two hours after he had been wounded at Mons on 23 August.

Sidney Godley VC
220px-Sidney_Godley_VC_IWM_Q_80449.jpg

Lieutenant Dease VC
220px-Maurice_James_Dease.jpg

The bridge is very easy to find and underneath the bridge is a monument to the two brave soldiers...

P1020229_zps2x6uleoq.jpg

P1020218_zpspvlchsos.jpg

P1020225_zpsdmjqz2ql.jpg

An information board next to the bridge...

P1020226_zpsqbxbmvet.jpg

Whilst here we decided to do the short ride to see the graves of both Godley VC & Dease VC at the nearby St Symphorien cemetry.

St Symphorien Cemetery

This is the German cemetery for both the Allies and Germans who died in the Battle of Mons. Its was initially a German Cemetery, with the Germans securing the land from its Belgium owner who insisted that both German and Allied deceased should be buried there…

This graveyard is located in a small woodland and has a completely different feel to the previous cemetery we had visited, with graves organised in groups as opposed to long regimental rows found elsewhere. As well as containing the grave of Lt Dease VC, it also contains the graves for both the first and last casualties of WW1....

P1020235_zpsg2m9tizg.jpg

P1020236_zpsf53drvmm.jpg

P1020242_zpsrb6tty49.jpg

P1020244_zpsdtajyjc4.jpg

P1020253_zps0tfcwfxf.jpg

The grave of Lt Dease VC

P1020241_zps1rmrlmeu.jpg

Here is the grave of the first casualty of the war, Private Parr

P1020245_zpsvv79ov4m.jpg

Private Ellison and Private Price are believed to be the last two casualties of the war...

P1020247_zpsbgmw17wd.jpg

P1020264_zpsgje1jsvc.jpg

With time on our side, we decided to ride back up the motorways to Ypres, so we could watch the Last post at Menin Gate, something we all wanted to experience.

Menin Gate

I was surprised to discover we could ride through Menin Gate, which was a strange experience. We managed to park up next to the monument, but there is also free parking in the square just down the road...

P1020270_zpskbbzzd0j.jpg

P1020275_zpsjel9zd5y.jpg

P1020278_zpsvgoyjdjy.jpg

P1020279_zpsusveeqkh.jpg

P1020282_zpsdmsrmuqu.jpg

P1020288_zpst2xdidm0.jpg

Having looked around the monument we went off for a drink, returning at 7:30pm to ensure being able to get into the monument for that evenings Last Post which takes place at 8pm. It was already pretty crowded, but we got a decent view…

P1020298_zpslrzohu3u.jpg

After a long day, we rode back to Toc-H for a few beers

Day 3

Our final full day of our trip, and the weather was thankfully cooler today. We decided to ride back into Ypres and take in the 'In Flanders Fields Museum' in the Cloth Hall that was suggested to me by quite a few Tossers on here. I had learnt that the Cloth Hall was destroyed during WW1, as well as the town of Ypres itself. Rather than rebuilding the town with modern buildings, they built them with a historic style.

The museum costs €9 (or €11 if you want to climb up the bell tower) and is highly recommended. We stayed about 2 1/2 hours but we could have stayed longer. There are some great little films to watch as well as some superb exhibits...

P1020308_zpsdpj6uslg.jpg

View from the bell tower..

P1020313_zpsas6btesn.jpg

Upon leaving the museum there was a definite change in the weather and an eerie feel to the town...

P1020325_zpsxxzq8akt.jpg

P1020329_zps52gwchqd.jpg

We had intened to ride up to Yorkshire Trench, just outside Ypres, being a real trench line initially discovered by amateure archaeologists in 1992. The items they found are exhibited in the Cloth Hall. Sadly the heavens opened up and so we decided to return to our accommodation to relax. On arrival at Toc-H a pot of fresh tea was thrusted upon us, along with a few buns and cakes. Bears like cake!

P1020351_zpsqcruy882.jpg

The lady running Toc-H told us that a parade was about to come through the town, due to a miracle that happened in Poperinge some years ago. A baby had supposedly been still born, but when it was being buried a couple of days later it suddenly came back to life. The pope happened to be visiting the town that day and claimed it to be a miracle. Each year this event is marked by local parading through the town, and was probably why the fairground was in town?

P1020352_zps7jse3lbl.jpg

P1020354_zpsryeox54j.jpg

Time for another evening in Poperinge and some street food...

P1020365_zps4qtgvoo9.jpg

Washed down with some horrible black alcoholic treacle...

P1020364_zpsjjjziqtn.jpg

Day 4

At 7:30am we set off for the Dunkirk ferry. The port is quite poorly signposted. Having took a wrong turning and getting lost I asked some French roadwork's for directions. Whilst taking tho them I got stung on the chest by a French wasp, which didn't add anything to my poor grasp of French language. I may as well have asked if I could have shit in their grandmothers mouth for what use they were, sending me up a country lane that I soon discovered was blocked by a huge pile of steaming horse shit. Bastids :mad:

Eventually we arrived at the port...

P1020377_zpsfgi11am6.jpg

P1020381_zpsisl05uvl.jpg

Dunkirk port is a fuckin shit hole, with the seats in the terminal lounge all slashed, and shitty stale sandwiches in the vending machines. It was nice to eventually see the white cliffs of Dover as we approached good old Blighty. Overall a fantastic trip, and a return trip to the area is definately on the cards :thumb2

RIP to all those who lost their lives during the war.

Superb. Really enjoyed that, many thanks.
As a kid in the 70s my mates dad used to bugger off every week to his Toc H meeting in Huddersfield. We thought nowt of it. As his dad, Keith got older he (and his wife Winifred) became annual month long resident meeters and greeters at Talbot House. My wife and I visited in 2001 and got the usual pot of tea and a piece of flapjack. We also were fortunate enough to attend (up those bloody steep stairs) to a lamp lighting ceremony in the old chapel. (Dim as a Toc H lamp) (Keith died some years ago and his lad cycled there from Huddersfield in 2009 to raise a bit of cash and just 'do it') Been back numerous times since and done loads of the local smaller cemetaries as well as the likes of Tyne Cot. The 8pm Menin Gate ceremony never ceases to raise the hairs on the back of my neck nor bring a tear to my eye.
Its amazing to stay in a genuine piece of history, a museum where your room is part of the exhibits...until you arrive. Brilliant

Enjoyed that Bear! :thumby:

It has been 15 years since I was in Ypres ... Must go back there soon.

Thats a nice story Davey :thumb2

Toc-H is certainly somewhere special to stay. And its incredibly well priced when compared to a normal hotel. The only issue we had was that due to it being so bloody hot, we had to sleep with the windows open which meant we heard all the noise from the street below, including a few folk who had got drunkerer (real word) that us. And we were attacked by mosquitos, which seem to find bears incredibly tasty :mad:

Thanks for that. I am also heading France direction next week and hope to view some of those locations first hand:aidan

Next year sees the centenary anniversary for the battle of the Somme. I expect it to be horribly busy. Lochnagar crater had a notice on there information board stating that on the centenary anniversary of the explosion it will be pre purchased tickets only for admission. Something to bear in mind.

Anyone see the English owner of Lochnagar Crater on The One Show last night? Really interesting. He refuses to say how much he paid for the crater (which was going to be converted into a landfill tip), instead he says whatever figure he paid for it, the soldiers paid a much greater price. He doesn't make a penny from it. What a legend!

@ 19mins
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b061576w/the-one-show-06072015

Thanks Steve, thoroughly enjoyed that. Crackin' photographs too :thumb

Was down that way just three weeks since, the area never ceases to throw up new respects and places of tranquil beauty ...

:beerjug:

Thanks very much for the report Bear.
As it happens we are in Ypres at this very moment and attended the Menin Gate ceremony this evening.

Photos were taken with my Panasonic TZ70 on auto setting. Im beginning to think its a better camera than my DSLR Nikon D5000!!!!

Umm the gentlemen with the shrapnel has a fuse from an artillery shell not a good idea at all,

Bear your photos bring back some good memories of me laying a wreath at Ypres at the tomb of the unknown solider many years ago as a young Sapper, the old soldiers would not let me buy one beer that night just put it like this I was ill for 3 days after.

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

Photos were taken with my Panasonic TZ70 on auto setting. Im beginning to think its a better camera than my DSLR Nikon D5000!!!!

It is for this kind of motorcycle travel photography malarkey ;)

:beerjug:

A great trip Bear, I've not done most of your trip but if you return, do visit Thiepval, Hawthorn ridge & the ww1 museum in Albert, the Wellington caves in Arras are worth a visit too. I guess there is so much it would take an age to see everything.

A great trip Bear, I've not done most of your trip but if you return, do visit Thiepval, Hawthorn ridge & the ww1 museum in Albert, the Wellington caves in Arras are worth a visit too. I guess there is so much it would take an age to see everything.

True. You could even visit the area with no plans at all and still happen to find stuff to see as you ride along.

I wouldn't mind taking in some of the Battle of Waterloo locations/museums next time.

Great stuff Mr Bear and another reminder why Ypres is one of my favourite places. Will be staying there for our last night on our return from Bavaria in a couple of week's time.

Cracking report Mr Bear, thanks for showing a couple of places I have missed on my travels. They are now on my list for another trip.

We were over in May of this year doing 3k miles around Europe visiting family and friends that we had been unable to see for a couple of years. There was a balls up with Hotels on the last Friday night at Lille which saw us checking out the GPS for hotels between there and the coast. Following the nearest first route we eventually found our selves in Armentieres at the www.hoteljoly.fr. This is situated right in the town centre with ample parking, make a note chaps.
I picked up a couple of local info brochures as you do and had a look while we had dinner that night. One of the brochures was for the military cemeteries in the area so now having plenty of time on the Saturday we quickly made a plan to visit some of the smaller ones on our run up to the tunnel.
We quickly found Godewaersvelde and Lijssenthoek, which led us towards Poperinge. There was a section in the brochure showing a photo of a firing post in Poperinge. Fortunately the brochure was not in English so we had some questions to answer. We went to the town center had a coffee near to Toc-H and asked the waiter. He was full of information and confirmed that soldiers were held overnight in a cell and then taken out at dawn and shot. He pointed out the building and the side entrance to the holding cells which lead to a small courtyard where the executions took place.
Very moving moment when you walk into the cells and see the preserved graffiti from so long ago. There were a total of 17 executions there and they are laid to rest at Poperinge new Military Cemetary which is on Deken De Bolen within the town.

Much more information re this sad subject on the following sites. www.ww1cemeteries.com and shotatdawnphotos.weebly.com

Will leave you do a search on the single cross.

Attachments

• 68332877.jpg
    68332877.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 240
  • P5300226.jpg
    P5300226.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 235
  • P5300227.jpg
    P5300227.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 244
  • P5300228.jpg
    P5300228.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 235
  • P5300229.jpg
    P5300229.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 239
Tomorrow at the Menin Gate is the 30,000th. last post ceremony.

Large crowds are expected and they are setting up a big screen in the Market Square in Ypres where we plan to watch.

Thanks very much for the report Bear.
As it happens we are in Ypres at this very moment and attended the Menin Gate ceremony this evening.

And I'm there now..going tonight(again)...on the way back from the Vercors national park..... what is all this rain and 20 degrees malarkey???

Back
Top Bottom