WW1 Trip To Belgium & France - July 2015

Great trip, piccies and write-up! :thumb2

Am planning a 2-wheeled trip (of the unpowered variety) to Ypres and the area later in the year. You've pretty much given me the destinations I need! :D

There was a section in the brochure showing a photo of a firing post in Poperinge.....

I wish Id known about the firing post, I would definitely have visited to pay my respects, thanks for informing me about it, I shall definitely visit when next in the area :thumb2

And I'm there now..going tonight(again)...on the way back from the Vercors national park..... what is all this rain and 20 degrees malarkey???

Heads up if anyone is planning tomorrow... 9th..entry by ticket only, 30000th time, Queen of Belgium going... you'll have to watch on a big screen in the square. Tonight had Royal Engineer s band and another... great..and moving....spectacle... not to be confused with entertainment.

Heads up if anyone is planning tomorrow... 9th..entry by ticket only, 30000th time, Queen of Belgium going... you'll have to watch on a big screen in the square. Tonight had Royal Engineer s band and another... great..and moving....spectacle... not to be confused with entertainment.

We'll be there tomorrow, watching on the big screen in the square.

Put some photos up will you please :thumb2

I had hoped to visit Theipval Memorial whilst we were in the area

Thiepval is not at its best at present - restricted access and covered in scaffolding - they are renovating ready for next years 100th anniversary.

Gerard,
Just spotted what is probably your bike outside with UKGSer stickers, looks like we're in the same hotel.
Maybe we could meet up later if you're here this evening ?

Gerard,
Just spotted what is probably your bike outside with UKGSer stickers, looks like we're in the same hotel.
Maybe we could meet up later if you're here this evening ?

Good to meet you even if in the passing.....hope you enjoy the evening. We are now in a 4 star logis up near Dunkerque for the tunnel tomorrow.... nearly as good as The Ariane!!

Good to meet you even if in the passing.....hope you enjoy the evening. We are now in a 4 star logis up near Dunkerque for the tunnel tomorrow.... nearly as good as The Ariane!!
Good to meet you Gerard.
Yes we attended the 30,000th last post tonight viewing it all on the big screen.
There we're thousands watching in the square and I've taken a few pictures Bear.
I'll download them when we get home and try and post a selection on this thread in a couple of days.

Thanks for sharing - a good little read.....although I'd like to have seen a photo of the steaming horse sh*t :green gri

If any-one needs a street map of Ypres, there's loads free in the Tourist shop in the Cloth Hall....if anyone wants one before they go, drop me a pm and I'll bung one in the post.

Great report and pics - I've done some of those sights, but there a few there I'll add to my next trip. Thanks for sharing :)

A small selection of photographs from the 30,000th ceremony.

The Australian band ..

Attachments

• P7091514 cropped.jpg
    P7091514 cropped.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 94
The big screen showing the ceremony...

The Menin Gate was invitation only so we watched on the big screen in the square amongst thousands of others.

Attachments

• P7091543 cropped.jpg
    P7091543 cropped.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 96

Back
Top Bottom