Can you check out my route please?

Gog yn y De

Reaction score
We're off for a spin over the Easter period and have come up with a few daily routes. The start and end points are fixed but the bits in between are flexible. The routes cover Cumbria Mountains, The Pennines, and above.. From Heysham we'll be heading for IoM for 3 nights (don't reckon we need a route for there but if I'm wrong any advice would be more than welcome) then to Liverpool and back to South Wales after a stop here and there to see family.

Please take a look and if you reckon there are some better roads that we should do then let us know - thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• Northern England 1.gdb
    88.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Northern England 2.gdb
    76.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Northern England 3.gdb
    61 KB · Views: 61
  • Northern England 4.gdb
    74.9 KB · Views: 61
I'd love to help, but I can't get into your maps...
...'kin computers...

:beerjug:

It`s booed me off too :( Apparantly it`s a subsequent version of mapsource that mine can`t do :(

If you can't open these files then your using an out of date version of Mapsource. It's free to update it, take a look in the downloads section of the Garmin site :thumb2

Attached would be my preferred route for 06. After Clitheroe/Waddington it would be remiss not to stop for coffee on the terrace of The Inn at Whitewell followed by a stop at the picturesque centre of England (or is it Britain?) ie Dunsop Bridge. It is often said Her Majesty would like to retire in this dropdead gorgeous area (not difficult as most of it is owned by the Duchy of Lancaster)

For 07 I would turn route over the moors on the single track road from Newbiggin. You will have to stop and open three or four gates but it's worth doing for the views. There is a ford just before the main road but hang a quick right and you can use the bridge. You will be in need of a cup of tea at this stage so be sure to stop at the Allenhead (old lead mines) Visitor Centre (good food and loos)

08 could be suitably modified to see some of Hadrian's Wall. Pick up some brochures at the B&B and take in one of the Roman forts/museums - fascinating. But do do the B6277 out of Alston at some stage before you go to Heaven

09 includes the Hardknott Pass. Personally I would replan to ride it uphill (west to east) if carrying a pillion. Bear in mind that there will be lots of Easter traffic on this 33% hill and stopping/restarting for passing cars on the narrow heavily cambered hairpins will give you something to chat about in the bar later!

Enjoy yourselves - it's God's own biking country

We're off for a spin over the Easter period and have come up with a few daily routes. The start and end points are fixed but the bits in between are flexible. The routes cover Cumbria Mountains, The Pennines, and above.. From Heysham we'll be heading for IoM for 3 nights (don't reckon we need a route for there but if I'm wrong any advice would be more than welcome) then to Liverpool and back to South Wales after a stop here and there to see family.

Please take a look and if you reckon there are some better roads that we should do then let us know - thanks very much in advance.

There's plenty of my favourites in there - You should enjoy them :thumb2

Here's an additional request.

I'm going to have 3 or 4 days to kill after the Llangollen thingy... (I attend the Offroad 1 course on the Friday after) I'm trying to decide where to ride during those 4 days.... The posted routes look great, but I'd need to come back down to S Wales after... Anyone have a favorite route back down through the Lakes they like? Any chance of posting it?

Or maybe I'll like the route up so much that I'd be better off coming back down it?

Thanks for any advice,

Al...

I was considering following the posted routes for 2 days worth... exploring Hadrian's area, and coming back down an interesting way, to end up at the BMW offroad course... I check into the Abercrave Inn Thursday evening...

Part of me says I haven't seen Liverpool yet.... most of me says... Big City.. stay away! I've been in The Lakes a few times (not on bike), driven a campervan along some interesting route through the North Yorkshire Moors... maybe I'll do that, though it gets me out of the way some...

I'm living in the world of flat, and love the UK, so this is my bike vacation this year... couple 3 days at the biker meet, 3 or 4 days of touring around, 2 days of falling off a rented GS till I hurt everywhere... Limping home to recover... cool huh?

Al...

The bit between Glossop and Clitheroe is much more interesting if you stick to the hills, thus avoiding the urban sprawl around Manchester, not to mention the speed cameras. There are some brilliant stretches of fast road on this bit of the route, over the tops of the moors and lots of swooping/twisting sections... real GS stuff.
It will take you longer, of course, but well worth it, especially if the weather's good.
Just my two pence worth:thumb2

Attachments

• NorthernEngland[1].gdb
    116.4 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the advice everyone - will check them out and finalise the plan after the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom