Andermatt or Interlaken ?

BOB UK

Reaction score
Hi I’m after a bit of advice
There are 5 or 6 of going over to have a play in the Alps in mid May
The plan so far is to stay at Andermatt or Interlaken for a few days and then ride out from there as the other’s will all be on sports bikes and don’t want to ride round the alps all the time with there camping gear on there bikes

I have been to the Alps a few times in the past but have never been to this area so my question is
1 are there any good campsite at Andermatt there appear to be lots of them around Interlaken also is it going to be much colder in Andermatt as it would appear to be a lot higher up than Interlaken

I.Y.H.O which would be the best one to base our self’s in
After we leave there we plan to ride back via both the 2 St Bernard passes then over to Annecy and back home

All in all we plan to be over there for 10 days and as I have been there before I’m doing most of the planning side of things so any help or advice would be great

Thanks Bob

Hi Bob - I stayed in a hotel in Andermatt for a few days a couple of years ago but only noticed one very small campsite with hardly anyone there. Andermatt was a superb base for all the great passes nearby but I remember riding to interlaken and down the valley to Grindelwald and lauterbrunnen and wishing i had camped there as the scenery was fantastic.

This site gets good reviews and seems to be in a cracking position and is 5 star rated, although i think that there is only one way in and out of that valley, albeit a very scenic one.

http://www.camping-jungfrau.ch/en/ueber_uns/info.asp

"Camping Jungfrau is located at the feet of the world-famous mountain giants Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau in the valley of the 72 Waterfalls. Even Johann Wolfgang von Goethe referred to the beauty of our valley in one of his poems.

From our vintage position at the edge of the village right below the Staubbach waterfall, we make up the ideal starting point for walking tours and trips into the popular region of Jungfrau. We are also centrally located for winter sports. The excellent network of mountain rails runs straight into the ski regions of Wengen / Männlichen / Lauberhorn or Mürren / Schilthorn."

hi there,
i live a few hours away from interlaken/andermatt and TBH i would rather choose interlaken as there is a lot more going on. you are also near the lake which is nice in summer. dont know anything about camp sites there tho - oh it will be warmer in interlaken but also take into account it is bit of a tourist trap area and can get busy in the warm months

i had a look at the jungfrau campsite . i know the area a bit, its nice but be aware it is a bit out of the way and there is no night life in the area unless u are prepared to travel a bit to grindlewald/wengen etc there is only 1 way in/out as mentioned.

it all depends what u want

Hi Bob

Andermatt gives you very close access to several of the "must do" passes; you can combine several of them in a circular sort of day trip - Furka, Nufenen, St Gottard. Italy is close as well. Downside is, there's not much happening in Andermatt - it's (a nice) sort of barrack village as an overnight base.

Interlaken is much bigger and more tourist-active. But, from here you can visit Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, the Jungfrau, all from various connecting mountain railways - it's superb!

We stayed 2 nights in Interlaken so we could do the obligatory tourist stuff, and used Andermatt as a pass-through base to continue our tour.

You'll love it!

Cheers,

Neil.

I stayed for a week in the campsite at Andermatt. The camsite is OK - you use the facilities from the ski lift centre i.e. toilets, showers, shop etc. It is 2min walk from restaurants / bars and is cheap as chips. Great location for the passes, I had a cracking week of touring.

You've got to remember that you're quite high up though, I think about 1500m. It could get a bit nippy of a night when I went in mid July, so I'd imagine it would be really quite cold in mid-May.

As you can see, not very busy. The campsite is the cut area of grass below the road, the facilities are in the ski lift centre. The hotel to the right with the yellow umbrellas seemed quite popular and I think quite cheap. There was some noise from the road, but not too bad. It was the only campsite in town that I could find as well.

Attachments

• camsite.jpg
    camsite.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 826
not stayed in Andermatt, but have used Interlaken and Grindewald as a base (hotels though not camping).

They're all scenic, you can easily ride many passes in a day - I did 6 (with 2 being ridden twice) with SWMBO on the back.

I'd say that there is much more happening in Interlake if you're looking for a night out after a good days ride.

But you'll enjoy it wherever you stay if youre in a group - you make your own fun.

As an alternative to camping it might be worth looking at The Mountain Hostel in Grindelwald ( Google it for their website ). Great facilities and it won't cost much more than camping, would save you lugging all your camping gear around. You can book it well in advance.

Try to get the helicopter trip over the mountains, the booking office and landing/takeoff area is up the valley in lauterbrunnen. Expensive but well worth it.

Hi Bob,

The Hotel in the picture (GS monkey) with the Yellow umbrellas is the Hotel Aurora, stayed there in July 06 and cost 150 Sf for a double room per night or 80 Sf for a single.

Here's the address etc Hotel Aurora, Gotthardstrasse 163, CH-6490 Andermatt, Tel. +41 (0) 41 887 16 61, Fax +41 (0) 41 887 00 86, E-Mail info@aurora-andermatt.ch

We booked via e-mail. the hotel owns the garage attached which offered secure parking.

Possibly not the best biking road in the world but certainly focuses the mind if decending.:D

Attachments

• S4020050 resized.JPG
    S4020050 resized.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 770
The hotel to the right with the yellow umbrellas seemed quite popular and I think quite cheap.

I stayed in that hotel in 2005 - it was really nice - a great big room, nice deep bath, a view looking straight down the valley (across the campsite) to the furka pass, and good food. It is called the hotel Aurora and they do special biker packages.

I'm not sure when the higher passes will be open. The Susten - Furka - Grimsel run is great (as well as the Nufenen) but not sure when they are cleared and accessible up at the top? Currently the grimsel, furka, susten, nufenen and oberalp are all closed

The high passes are still closed. Plus see the note on AlpineRoads website "Between mid-October and mid-May, even the passes that say they're open may be open only for cars and you may not be able to get a bike over it, especially if the pass is a high one."

<IFRAME src="http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php" width=800 height=600></IFRAME>

hi there,
i live a few hours away from interlaken/andermatt and TBH i would rather choose interlaken as there is a lot more going on. you are also near the lake which is nice in summer. dont know anything about camp sites there tho - oh it will be warmer in interlaken but also take into account it is bit of a tourist trap area and can get busy in the warm months

i had a look at the jungfrau campsite . i know the area a bit, its nice but be aware it is a bit out of the way and there is no night life in the area unless u are prepared to travel a bit to grindlewald/wengen etc there is only 1 way in/out as mentioned.

it all depends what u want

Oi, Rob

What are you doing here !! :eek:

TBH Andermatt is a bit of a dump, it's basically a garrison/frontier town !!
Grindlewald is much prettier, it has the Eiger for starters!! and Interlaken is nice as well (but a bit touristy)

And in three months time I will live a few hours away from here (again) and just down the road from Rob

Stefa Camp

Steffa Camp
Small, on the lake's edge in BRIENZ, East side of Interlaken
Clean, hot showers coin operated (owner sells them)
Family owned business
N46 45 19.0 E8 02 04.9
perfect jumping off point for getting the best of both worlds.:thumb
But there is plenty of wild camping out there.

Thanks very much everyone for all the info :thumb
We will have a look at it and have a chat and make up our minds about what to do
My thinking at the moment is that if the weather is good (we will be there on about 9thJune) we could stay up at Andermatt but if it looks bad we might be better off down by the lake. The site at Andermatt looks very exposed if it got windy and wet I don’t think it would be much fun up there and there is no where to hang my Hammock !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom