Headstock socket and Tomtom

Philm4

Reaction score
Right, I am intending to wire in a power lead to the GPS socket on the headstock for my Tomtom. To make this work I have got a 12v cigarette charger, taken it apart, and was going to wire the inputs to the charger (via the special plug which I have from Southport Superbikes) to the headstock socket. Heat shrink it all up to make it look nice and there you go.

This means it would input 12v from the GPS socket on the headstock and output 5v which is what the Tomtom needs.

Also I will put a hidden switch in so the transformer can be turned off.

Anyone know if I am about to blow up my bike?:thumb2

Thanks for the help

Phil

Hi Phil, I would be interested in the outcome of this question as I currently use a TT720 powered by a car charger plugged into the power socket under the seat, not ideal and I would like to use your approach but have kept away so far. Does the transformer sit inside the car charger plug or the TT end of the cable? I'd love to see a write up when you finish this please Phil. Which cables on the BMW plug go to the respective colours on the TT one please?

Why put an extra switch in as when you switch the ignition off it'll be depowered? In which case wouldn't it be easier to connect across the battery?

Extra Switch

The only reason for an extra switch would be to enable the transformer to be turned off when not in use. As I dont have a suitable one right now I will propably make do without it. Only awaiting the heat shrink from Amazon and I will give it all a whirl.

Done it

Right, I have done it (only a quick lash up) and it works.

It was just a test job but for those who want to know here goes,

I purchased a cheap as chips tomtom 12v charger (not original). I may buy a tomtom one to do the job as the cheap one is very cheap inside with very thin wires.

I also purchased the BMW plug to go in the GPS socket from Southport superbikes. They will know what you mean if you phone them, about £8 delivered.

Take off the plastic tank cover.

The GPS plug is by the headstock, mine was taped in place and I had to cut the tape to get at it but it then has about 2 inches of give.

Lift the tab at the side of the plug and pull out the protective cap.

For the lead carefully take apart the lighter socket. In there will be a bunch of electrical stuff on a circuit board. All you are interested in is where the centre terminal of the cigarette socket links to (live) and where the outside connector links to (earth).

Solder lead 1 of the BMW socket to the earth and lead 3 to the live and hey presto you have a lead that will power the tomtom.

When my heatshrink turns up I will cut all the cables to size, cover all of this stuff in it and make a tidy job of it.

I used this thread as a guide and inspiration to get to the terminal and to order the BMW plug.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117400&page=2

:thumb2

Hi Phil, is this working Ok now, still looking to do it for my 720. Did you throw away the electronics board and wire straight to the

Back
Top Bottom