Satnav, GPS, apps, comms, phones and the wheel.

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m no satnav or navigation expert but I do like to plan routes and lead small groups here and in Europe, and have used phone apps and satnavs and still use both systems today so I thought I would give an unbiased view of the whole shabang. Well almost unbiased as this is from an iPhone users point of view.
I’ve put this thread here because it’s about units that can use the wheel on the bars, not looking into stand alone units like the XT but moderators move it if need be.

So let’s start at the beginning with the nav5 which I believe to be the first unit to utilise the wheel to operate it. I had a nav 5 and found it to be very reliable. The screen could have been a lot brighter and it doesn’t have all the features that the 6 came with. I wouldn’t play music via the iPhone for instance, not a deal breaker and for some it doesn’t matter at all. I think there were some other extras in the menu as well that I can’t remember.

That leads us to the nav 6. I had a lot of these as they kept failing with the ghosting issue. The screen was so much brighter than the 5 and had a few extra bits like the iPhone music player. Now I had both versions, the original and the make life a ride version and they both failed with ghosting issues. The only difference between them is the look the newer one has to match the font of the tft screens, but it’s the same hardware and screen. If you have one that hasn’t played up yet, you have been lucky.

So after all the issues with the nav6 BMW parted company with garmin and brought out the connect cradle and app. I had one of these as well and really liked it. I used an iPhone 11pro in it in a slim case and it worked well. But then everyone jumped on the vibration ruins your phone wagon. Now from the iPhone 11 onwards the focusing and stability system is a more robust unit, I used mine off road constantly with no issues. The app was pretty good and the routing was tomtom based which worked well and the live updates for road closures was good. Now you could do that with the nav6 if you had the garmin app on your phone and linked them but the connection was a bit unreliable. That was an issue with the nav6 between headset and phone as well. The recommended way was to use the nav as a hub, connect the headset to the nav and the phone to the nav and then your calls should come from your phone to the nav then your headset, but I found this unreliable at best Using just the phone in the cradle done away with phone connection issues completely. The connect cradle also had wireless charging but the charger was weak at best and when I questioned BMW about it they said it was for keeping the phone charged not charging from flat. But the wheel worked well with the app but the bike info screen didn’t give as much information as the nav5&6 did, and there was no speed cameras on the app.

It’s not all roses with phones as they don’t like the sun or the heat, as we all know leaving your phone in full sun will render it useless till it’s cooled down. Also you need a phone that will work in the rain.
I used mine until the bracket which held the phone in snapped, luckily it happened putting the phone in and not on the road.
This lead me to the WunderLINQ unit. I like to plan routes and send them to my unit, I also plan off road routes as well, that was something the connect app couldn’t do.
I was really hesitant about getting one but I still wanted to use the wheel and at the time it was my only option unless I went backwards to something I’d already tried.
But the WunderLINQ is only as good as the app you use on it to navigate with. Now I use scenic as I could make a single lifetime payment as I don’t like subscriptions, it can import and export routes and you can even send a routing you planned on google maps without having to convert files, plus it has lots of different routing options, for me it works perfectly and now it has had speed cameras and road closures added etc. it works even better. Alot of people like myroute app, tomtom, calimoto the list goes on. Not every app works with the WunderLINQ so make sure the app you use does before thinking of getting one. I use a wireless quadlock charger on mine which charges the phone really quick and the WunderLINQ also has a high output usb socket I use to power a tablet for rallying.

Finally there is a new navigator from BMW but at nearly £700 I haven’t tried it but from what I’ve seen it is a unit that uses software similar to what the connect app comes with. Which for most people I think will work well.

As I said at the start I use both gps and phone, on my handlebars I have a BMW version of the garmin 600 Montana, this has ordinance survey maps and city navigator. I use this more for off road use and as a back up if the phone ever fails, it has no audio and a small screen but it’s bombproof.

I wouldn’t rule out a stand alone gps, apparently the XT is really good and there is also things like the carpe iter but none of these use the wheel, so if you have it you might as well use it.

Hope this is of use to someone.

I wouldn’t rule out a stand alone gps, apparently the XT is really good and there is also things like the carpe iter but none of these use the wheel, so if you have it you might as well use it.

Hope this is of use to someone.
The Carpe Iter does use the wheel if you buy the BMW specific kit. However this is only on a phone/tablet!

I have a S22 Ultra I now use purely for work and navigating on the bike as its fully waterproof with vibration mounted wireless charging (I also use the Quadlock) and controlled via the Carpe Iter buttons and the wonder wheel to navigate around the apps etc. With the Carpe you can also turn off the phones touch screen in rain so it doesn't interfere in anyway.

The reason why I use an S22 Ultra is because the S22 Ultra is 10 times faster than any stand alone satnav, can take whatever app you fancy including Garmin or TomTom and once you purchase an app you never have to pay for it again no matter how many phones you have or swap so never have to worry about map updates etc ever again.

Oh and the S22 Ultra costs less than ANY Garmin or Tom Tom bike sat nav and has far more support for far longer.

I do not care if it breaks as its covered by my banks no quibble phone insurance which I already pay for that also gives me European breakdown and Family world wide travel insurance.

Last edited:
The Carpe Iter does use the wheel if you buy the BMW specific kit. However this is only on a phone/tablet!

I have a S22 Ultra I now use purely for work and navigating on the bike as its fully waterproof with vibration mounted wireless charging (I also use the Quadlock) and controlled via the Carpe Iter buttons and the wonder wheel to navigate around the apps etc. With the Carpe you can also turn off the phones touch screen in rain so it doesn't interfere in anyway.

The reason why I use an S22 Ultra is because the S22 Ultra is 10 times faster than any stand alone satnav, can take whatever app you fancy including Garmin or TomTom and once you purchase an app you never have to pay for it again no matter how many phones you have or swap so never have to worry about map updates etc ever again.

Oh and the S22 Ultra costs less than ANY Garmin or Tom Tom bike sat nav and has far more support for far longer.

I do not care if it breaks as its covered by my banks no quibble phone insurance which I already pay for that also gives me European breakdown and Family world wide travel insurance.

I didn’t know there was a BMW control for the carpe, that’s interesting.

I didn’t know there was a BMW control for the carpe, that’s interesting.
Yeah it comes in two parts

One bit plugs into the Nav socket near the beak (it also has a power pass through) and this allows you to use the wheel... zooming in and out and selecting.

Then you get the buttons that fits by the accelerator. This lets you Navigate around the screen or scroll round a map etc but you can program them to fire up Spotify or turn off the touch screen.

I've not had it long but seems to work well so far. It does look like it's part of the bike so it's not sticking out which is nice

Reactions: GB.
For rallying I made a Bluetooth toggle switch to control my tablet but that is on the wheel side which worked well. But using the WunderLINQ I can now advance the roadbook using the wheel which means can reduce the clutter on the bars. I’ve never been keen on controls on the throttle side, I struggle to turn my heated grips on!

For rallying I made a Bluetooth toggle switch to control my tablet but that is on the wheel side which worked well. But using the WunderLINQ I can now advance the roadbook using the wheel which means can reduce the clutter on the bars. I’ve never been keen on controls on the throttle side, I struggle to turn my heated grips on!
*Its not to bad but yes after all this time of easily being able to get to the button I now have to fumble about a bit.

I know there have a standard controller that can be placed anywhere but it doesn't allow the use of the wheel I think it uses a small joystick

Being an iOS user pushes me away from android based things, I have no choice with my roadbook app so I use a Samsung active 2 but that is the only time I use it. The scenic app works awesome and at the moment isn’t available on android. My mate is an avid android user but we are struggling to find a nav app that works on android with the WunderLINQ that doesn’t require a subscription and can still export and import gpx files.

I do not think it works with Apple due to the permissions it needs. Maybe thats the issue with many of these controllers and Apple.

Here are the apps it supports (though other do work with it but these are more integrated) there are a few roadbook ones but I have no experience of using them with the Carpe

He is just looking for a phone app that works with WunderLINQ, and doesn’t require a subscription, can’t see either of us going down the carpe route at the moment. Scenic is great on the road and will follow tracks off road ok plus I have os maps on the garmin if need be, it’s the perfect set up for me personally, and my phone is always charged as well, all that for less than half a price of an XT.

He is just looking for a phone app that works with WunderLINQ, and doesn’t require a subscription, can’t see either of us going down the carpe route at the moment. Scenic is great on the road and will follow tracks off road ok plus I have os maps on the garmin if need be, it’s the perfect set up for me personally, and my phone is always charged as well, all that for less than half a price of an XT.
Surely if those apps work with Carpe they will work with WunderLINQ?? They are just Android apps

I do not know if you have to buy them though.

I think one of the most important things, and this may sound obvious, is that whatever option you choose for navigation you learn to use it.

Many people and i include myself in this, have problems with Sat-Navs and blame the device.
its expected that a unit will work straight from the box without any learning curve, its not the full story
This my be true if you just enter a destination and start riding, but things get complicated when you start playing with GPX files or creating specific routes that use certain roads and pass places of interest. This is when everyone starts having problems.

It is a minefield and the GPS section of this forum is testament to that.
for example what GPX file type does your device use? what devices connect to it, 1 Bluetooth or 2 at the same time?

I have a Nav 6 and ive been lucky with the Ghosting issue, it did do it for a while but touch wood its not done it now for 2 years.
i put this down to keeping the screen clean and also charging fully before putting on the bike if not used in a while.

I do occasionally use MRA on my phone (S21) while on the bike, although it works well i still prefer the Nav6 for its clearer display in all weathers

Surely if those apps work with Carpe they will work with WunderLINQ?? They are just Android apps

I do not know if you have to buy them though.

Not 100% sure on that, there are designated apps that support the WunderLINQ unit as all it really does is turn your wheel into a keyboard. Osmand is one of them, in the settings you select WunderLINQ as your controller.

I use Nav 6 and not had any issues. I definitely prefer that to Connected ride cradle. If the cradle could operate other things than the connected app it would have been good. However, never satisfied, I've just placed and order for Chigee AIO5. It's expensive yeah but it gives Apple car play or Android auto, Front and rear cameras and blind spot detection. seeing I was looking at cameras anyway it offsets the cost a bit. I'll see if that satisfies me for a week or so. :ROFLMAO:

Zumo 660 is 13 years old and touchwood still working fine , it fits the bmw cradle but not compatible with the whizzy wheel, Nav 6 , I am now onto number 3 and it is starting to play up .

Think I need to find a good Nav 5

Zumo 660 is 13 years old and touchwood still working fine , it fits the bmw cradle but not compatible with the whizzy wheel, Nav 6 , I am now onto number 3 and it is starting to play up .

Think I need to find a good Nav 5
I kept my Nav V for this very reason. I'm on my 3rd (or is it 4th) Nav VI. But for me when they work they work. They have their foibles but once you get your head around it they do the job.

Reactions: GB.
I kept my Nav V for this very reason. I'm on my 3rd (or is it 4th) Nav VI. But for me when they work they work. They have their foibles but once you get your head around it they do the job.

I totally agree, if it wasn’t for the constant issues I had I would probably still be using it. Saying that the phone is so much faster

You have to ask yourself what you want from a nav, some people still happy with maps and don’t want a nav at all.

For me it needs to be able to let me upload gpx files with my own routes and not modify them to what it thinks you want, plan routes on the fly if need be, communicate with my comms seamlessly, give me speed camera and traffic notifications, allow me to play music on the long hauls and all from using the wheel on the bars and that’s about it really.

I've just had my Chigee AIO-5 delivered, I ordered the unit with front and rear camera (incudes blind spot detection). the mount for the nav bar and the BMW dongle that makes the whizzy wheel work in conjunction with the indicator switch as an input. Just after ordering it I had some communication with the people in China, this was during CNY and they still answered, either over night or the same day, depending when I sent my email. All seems positive, the whole kit, including a compatible 64GB MicroSD card for the camera recording, came to just about £400 all in. This way you can chose whatever nav you want, as long as it's CarPlay or Android auto compatible, and a whole lot more. Deezer, Spotify etc etc. I know there are other CarPlay/android auto systems available, but are there any with Cameras and BSD included?

Initial feel and appearance is up there with the best, certainly better than the Nav VI, and that's not that bad really, apart from the issues some have had. I'll see better when I've installed it in the next week or so.

And, no, i'm not one of those that had the kit sent free.

Last edited:
Does look like an impressive unit. Be interesting to see how you get on with it.

Just got to wait for good weather to fit, need to get bike out of the garage to strip the bits off that I need to. The quality is way better than what I imagined from watching YouTube. I don't really see it as being a negative that it can't be removed, the bracket is a substantial bit of anodised aluminium that's going to be more secure that the TFT itself is. No need to remove it.

Back
Top Bottom