Satnav, GPS, apps, comms, phones and the wheel.

It’s good that people are finding systems that work for them, I’m super happy with my set up, the phone is always charged and I like the scenic app and it’s easy to swap out for the tablet for rallying and all controlled via the wheel

Got the Chigee AIO-5 kit fitted today. Pretty easy and neat to install. took a switched live off the redundant Sat Nav connector. The Bluetooth RC dongle for the control wheel was fitted in a couple of minutes, it's different to the instructions, as there's no RCD module since 2022, but there's its socket still there. Easy.

It's an impressive bit of kit, haven't tried it out on the road yet, if I get a good day during the week I'll give it a go. The wheel control is going to get a bit of getting used to as it operates using the indicator switch in combination with the wheel and the rocker switch. But it seems ok and shouldn't take too long to master.

Cameras work good, don't do 4K but do HD 30fps and compatible with 256gb Micro SD card. If used in 'Fusion' mode it should record 40hrs footage. 29hrs if set to store in separate to front and rear files. Not tried that yet but that's what the blurb says. It'll do 720 30fps with even longer recording time.

Sat nav apps I've tried: MRA, TomTom GO, Scenic, Google, Waze. all seem to work ok.

Mine arrived today. Not sure where I’ll put cameras yet and how I’ll hide the cables out of the back of the unit above the dash. Hopefully the screen will do most of that as it’s an opaque black short screen.

Haven’t had chance to look at bike to figure it out as it’s at the dealer, due back with me tomorrow. Hopefully I can fit it and test this weekend.

Im using the New Connect Nav at the moment , not 100 % sure as it acts like a navigator ( recalculates all the time and decides the route for you ) not like the Nav 6 or th the XT as you can switch the re calculate off ( nice addition for wandering and keeping to your route you have planned)
Not tried it yet again as been unable to ride but now use the My route app to make the GPX routes in Tom Tom format rather than the Here and send to the unit via the Connect App as both a route and a track. I am hoping the route will stay as I planned it if I use the track rather than the route ( as it imports both) but as I dont use marked way points it may work, as the unit is nice and responds quickly and easy to set stuff up on like comms etc . If this fails to work its back to the Nav6 with the back up of the XT when touring etc as I find phone based apps difficult compared to Basecamp/My Route App.
Its a personal thing but thought I would give the New Connect Nav a go.

The latest version of scenic leaves your original route on the screen in a slightly different shade of colour while it say reroutes you do to a road closure so you can work your way back to your original route once past the diversion. Or you can turn the rerouting off if you want to.

The latest version of scenic leaves your original route on the screen in a slightly different shade of colour while it say reroutes you do to a road closure so you can work your way back to your original route once past the diversion. Or you can turn the rerouting off if you want to.
I did try it but felt the planning was hard , plus the phone thing as well but we all like it different. I will still keep tying alternatives as I know things move on but with so many miles travelled with the Garmin I just feel safe .

Footnote : Just re down loaded the Scenic , I will give it another go as seems a better version , I will use it on the I pad as as test. thanks.

Last edited:
I did try it but felt the planning was hard , plus the phone thing as well but we all like it different. I will still keep tying alternatives as I know things move on but with so many miles travelled with the Garmin I just feel safe .

Understandable, planning on the phone took me a while to get the hang of but as I could send gpx from basecamp or direct from google maps planning off the bike was easy.

We use MRA for planning, then export the GPX 1.2 to Scenic. When Scenic imports it shows you the original route from the GPX and highlights where Scenic has calculated differently, if at all, so you can add a couple of shaping points to correct.

MRA is fantastic for planning, especially with friends who have a TomTom. The compare HERE and TomTom feature is brilliant. We did 2,000 miles around Spain together, them with their TomTom and us on Scenic. All routes planned on MRA. Even sent the routes directly to their TomTom over the air straight, from the MRA web page.

Reactions: GB.
Footnote : Just re down loaded the Scenic , I will give it another go as seems a better version , I will use it on the I pad as as test. thanks.

He just released the latest Scenic. I’ve been beta testing it all last year. It’s a complete rewrite, mainly as HERE has a completely new framework for apps using their system

MRA Does that too if you set it to do so.

Mine arrived today. Not sure where I’ll put cameras yet and how I’ll hide the cables out of the back of the unit above the dash. Hopefully the screen will do most of that as it’s an opaque black short screen.

Haven’t had chance to look at bike to figure it out as it’s at the dealer, due back with me tomorrow. Hopefully I can fit it and test this weekend.
It's easy, just route them down the right side of the bar where the sat nav wire is (was) then over behind the panels on the right hand side where the sat nav used to connect.

Yes but MRA is a subscription service where scenic was a one off payment
Nope, I just paid once for lifetime. I use Scenic too, not saying there's anything wrong with it.

Nope, I just paid once for lifetime. I use Scenic too, not saying there's anything wrong with it.

Didn’t know that, just looked so will recommend it to my mate who is on android.

There used to be a Scenic forever premium. If you have that you keep it, but it’s no longer available to purchase. He said he might offer it every now and again as a special offer.

It is also Apple Family compatible, so the one subscription is enough for me and the wife to both have access.

Is Scenic not an annual charge?

I paid lifetime last year but I think things might have changed with the latest version as he has done away with credits what you used to have to buy to get more map areas.

It's easy, just route them down the right side of the bar where the sat nav wire is (was) then over behind the panels on the right hand side where the sat nav used to connect.

Chigee just arrived. It’s a shame there’s 4 cables out of the back that need routing along the sat nav bar, but it’s kind of inevitable. I’d have liked a single cable, say half a metre long out of the back that had all the plugs for power, cameras and GPS. That way it could have been neatened up and the plugs all hidden away.

I’ve not looked properly at the camera mounts and worked out where they’ll go yet as I got interrupted by the new washing machine delivery!

It certainly seems good build quality.

Chigee just arrived. It’s a shame there’s 4 cables out of the back that need routing along the sat nav bar, but it’s kind of inevitable. I’d have liked a single cable, say half a metre long out of the back that had all the plugs for power, cameras and GPS. That way it could have been neatened up and the plugs all hidden away.

I’ve not looked properly at the camera mounts and worked out where they’ll go yet as I got interrupted by the new washing machine delivery!

It certainly seems good build quality.
There's just 3 coming out at the back that need routing, 1 splits further down. it doesn't look much different to before if you twist them to the back before tightening the ties.

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

There's just 3 coming out at the back that need routing, 1 splits further down.

So it does. I counted the connectors as the cables are still wrapped up nice and neat until I get around to fitting. Should have looked closer.

I thought the cameras looked like a GoPro mount, but the prongs are a little wider so won’t fit. I’d hoped to use the GoPro adapter that screws into the indicator to mount the front camera. I’ll have to think of a plan b.

Back
Top Bottom