G450X Owners - Show us your steed!

Well its mostly looks like this, white with a lot of black however it no longer has wing mirrors, is now sporting a shiny new back tyre and a couple of TT straps front and back to assist in picking it back up, and will be on the back of the car this time tomorrow ready for the off to Denmark for 3 weeks of getting down and dirty.

2954174953_68260167ff.jpg

It goes well on the full power option, stops and turns nicely and is the least sensible machine I have owned in a long time :D

Erm.... I haven't got any pictures apart from this..... Pumpy and Forry have a few I think.

As for the bike, well once I had got over the shock of paying the £5700 for it and got down to some laning, it soon came apparent that it was money well spent.
The engine is tractable in the standard 40hp-ish form. And pulling away on inclines or in deep mud is easily done.
The suspension from the factory was way to stiff for me, and I had a few days of slackening the rear spring and tweeking the comp/rebound to get it to my liking. Now it's about perfect for the Welsh trails of stone and rock.
At present it is in dock after a little rider error, I have managed to bend the top clamps on the yokes after a flip. So I've got some bits coming from Germany to build her back up.

I have fitted a full Remus system now but still kept the 40hp tune, and the throttle response is fantastic. The bark from the engine starts from nothing, it definately freed the breathing up.
Handguards are Acerbis Multi Concept whch have worked fine in last weeks incident. These are a must now on all my bikes.
The lower tank on the rad has now been fitted with a folded strip of 3mm aluminium after Possu told me of a punctured tank on one of the GXs. This has had slots cut in it to fit aroung the mounts and bottom hose connection, then ziptied in place with a couple of beads of Dunlop Silicon.
If also got a pair of Acerbis Neoprene Socks on the front legs to keep the heavy sh!te out of the seals.

On the trails the bike is great. In deep water it's fine, and I mean deep, say front mudguard depth. The air intake is still 6" above that point and with no trailing balance pipes from any carb then your laughing.

As for wants.... hydraulic clutch (which I heard may be coming in the next generation of GXs), lower chain guige in aluminium as this is battered already and I will be modding it asap.

That's about it for now. I'm waiting for a sumpguard to appear but Im losing my patience, so the plasma and folder may be out next week, I'll show you the results when done.....

Timpo.

PS. Managed to lift these shots from other foums, hope they work.....

PB220158-1.jpg

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/Hewgser/?action=view&current=PA180079.flv

397251093_VrXeo-L.jpg

397265372_GwyFn-L.jpg

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h218/Hewgser/?action=view&current=PA180040.flv

Well mine was white for two days from new, but it's now got loads of black stuck to it which I bought from SpeedBrain. I've also fitted Acerbis hand guards and neoprene socks on the forks, plus an Akropovic race can ;) and the power upgrade plug. Oh yes, I can now switch the lights right off if I need too.

The suspension as standard was not right for me and needed sorting by trial and error. Traction is incredible and the steering is light, which may need a steering damper fitted for serious enduro use. I've also changed the front sprocket to 13T which is much better for off road use.

The only anoying thing is the overspeed indicator that starts to flash on the computer display frequently :rolleyes: This supposedly voids the warrenty if it flashes for more than 30 secs. :blast

Supprisingly, it's quite different to the KTM450EXC that I had before and has greater ground clearance. Changing the front sprocket was no big deal, but I wonder how the complex bearing arrangement for the swing arm is going to stand up to prolonged use, only time will tell.

CIMG0829a.jpg

I find it a very good bike.
After riding a drz bigbore, this a my second enduro bike.

I was dubbing between a 450 or a 650 model because i ride longer disteance an like to ride more rally. but most of the year i ride on the crosstrack in the neighterhood(7 km from me are 2 tracks).

After riding the 440 drz through the eastern europe rally, i was sure to drive a 450.

The front suspension was good for crosstrack but for enduro offroad to hard(my low speed riding style), but after the setting on the front was softer it was way better, hadden't had time to ride with this setup on the crosstrack(got my knee busted last ride i did).

I have the 50bhp with stock exhaust and still the 15/48 but i think 14/48 would be a little better.
I've got the small racing bag on front and acerbis mulitplo handguards with the Enduro spoilers, but i will order the touring spoilers as well for the "colder days".

It steers superb, it has traction, it wants tot go foreward instead of up. balance is good.
injection is good.

don't have any stickers but a lot of scratshes on it. hahahahaha.
Perhaps a remus exhaust or akra in the future.

There's a rally kit made for it with extra fuel tank linke the Xtank for the g650x with 6-7 liter and a roadbookholder/imo holder for on the steer. Big bashplate with water compartment or tools compartment... And havier springs because of the xtra weight... but im not sure if thats really needed.

First my knee has to get better, then i will look if the rally is an option.

Erm.... I haven't got any pictures apart from this..... Pumpy and Forry have a few I think.

Happy to help out, Timpolino - although apart from this video...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZAVxGSBho8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZAVxGSBho8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

... I don't seem to have any photos of you actually riding the 450... :augie

403609408_cUTFA-L.jpg

403607021_HadQH-L.jpg

403608581_PtGuX-L.jpg

408159291_gMzvs-L.jpg

Looks like a rather wearisome type of bike to me... :nenau

403616056_Zqbdg-L.jpg

:hide

:kissy2

Happy to help out,

... I don't seem to have any photos of you actually riding the 450... :augie

:hide

:kissy2

Hello Pumpy.....
In the german language, is there a saying 'people who live in glass houses should never throw stones'? ;)

Timpo.:green gri

BMW bashplate for the G450 available now 3 in stock @ £117.44 each plus £10 postage or £20 for a courier.

Can't think of any potential future use :augie - but still, here you go:

"Wer im Glashaus sitzt, sollte nicht mit Steinen werfen."

We also have:

"Wer im Steinhaus sitzt, sollte nicht mit Gläsern werfen."
(People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glasses.)

"Wer im Glashaus sitzt, sollte im Keller bumsen."
(People who live in glass houses should scr*w in the basement.)

Always glad to broaden your knowledge... :D

Have BMW addresed all or any of the intial teething problems (not a criticism,the same for any new product), I currently have a KTM 450 EXCR and thinking of making the switch.

Will I be impressed or feel let down by swapping?

Have BMW addresed all or any of the intial teething problems (not a criticism,the same for any new product), I currently have a KTM 450 EXCR and thinking of making the switch.

Will I be impressed or feel let down by swapping?
Mine has been good from day one, if you are used to a 450 it should be OK, I do wish for a bit more power sometimes but that is only on the open stuff and the handling more than makes up for it.

Nothing has broken or failed so far either (Trust me when I say I have tried a couple of times!)

after fettling and blinging

it is now an awsome bike

i fitted the bar risers, 13t front sprocket, touratech bellypan, scorpion can (woo its a bit loud) and took it for a quick spin this afternoon.

very very very happy. :)

Going from the 15t to the 13t makes a huge difference, still has the traction but lifts the wheel nicely now when needed.

Starting to get on with the 450 now.Iniatally found the suspension very hard which meant the bike felt unstable in the ruts especially.Changed the rear spring and re set the suspension settings and its like a different machine.The suspension just gets on with the job without any complaints its not soft like the Yamahas but still comfortable enough to 100 mile days.
Put a set of 20mm bar risers on and moved the bar position forward,this has made a real difference to the grip on the front wheel as its moved my body weight forward.Its taken a bit of getting used to but now I am starting to exploit the bikes potential.
Overall I think the G450X needs to be riden hard and you need to dominate it to get the best out of it.THe fuel injection is superb and gives it such a fast take up.

After the recent rain I took it out for a bit of a mud test.Difficult to say if it has better traction than a standard swinging arm set up.It did always find grip and keep me going forward but I think this is perhaps more about tyre choice and the psi.

Initally I was concerned about not having a kickstart as a back up but so far its started first time very time.I have put a trickle charge onto the battery which should help.

The only negative I have about the bike is the flimsy side stand which I have had to replace once already and the second one is already showing signs of failing.The Yamahas have the edge here - I would like a side stand that stays down until I decide to flick it up not when the bike is moved more than a couple of mm forward.

The TBM launch review was I think pretty much spot on its no soft jap rival much more a potential racer.

Attachments

• New back tyre needed.jpg
    New back tyre needed.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 530
  • 100 Miles later.jpg
    100 Miles later.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 534
  • New G450.jpg
    New G450.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 540
Interesting comment there about the gearing, what are you running on the back with the 13t front, what kind of terrain is your new set up bias to, greenlaning or competition?

I've just got me a G450X!! :) . . . . had a bit of trouble with the battery the 1st day I rode it . . . it went totally dead . . . had to go back to dealer etc etc etc OK now though.

Can't wait to go and get down and dirrrrteeee with it soon!! :D

Pics to come soon I hope :D

Shirley

:thumb2

Well done that woman! :)

There is a 30 second modification you can make to the light switch that allows you turn the lights off but I have never had an issue even in extreme cold and after numerous restarts so a new battery/good charge is probably all it needed.

Watch out for the fuel light, when it comes on fill up, don't wait for a few miles :augie

Back
Top Bottom