RIM LOCKS

ONYERBIKE

Reaction score
I have a 2008 X Challenge with MT21's fitted front and rear which at the moment I am running without rimlocks.
If I fit rimlocks what air pressure can I run at? Does it depend on conditions, snow, mud, wet etc? or is it a standard air pressure whatever the conditions?

If it's rocky keep the pressure around 22-24 psi to avoid compression puncture.

Otherwise around 14 psi would be minimum for a 650

Wot he said. :thumb
On the 640 I run 14 psi front and rear, only going up to 16 in the front if I know its going to be fast and rocky.
Michelin Desert/Baja, rim locks front and rear.
Mark

Finally getting round to get rimlocks for my bike, went onto racespecs website and they have three different rimlocks, which I am assuming are different sizes. Went to look at the wheels on the bike, I have one extra hole on the front wheel and two extra holes on opposite sides with the rubber thingy innit on the back wheel.
Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to order for an 08 X challenge, I haven't got a clue!
All advice gratefully received, helps to clean the green behind me ears :D

Rim lock sizes are to match the size of the rims. You have the option of putting two in the rear. I would give them a call with your rim sizes, which are stamped on somewhere, or else in the handbook/spec sheet.
HTH
Mark

Rim lock sizes are to match the size of the rims. You have the option of putting two in the rear. I would give them a call with your rim sizes, which are stamped on somewhere, or else in the handbook/spec sheet.
HTH
Mark
Cheers for that, found all the info that I need in the handbook.
What difference will it make if I fit two rimlocks on the back wheel? Is it just double the protection to stop the tyre from moving? Or something else?

What difference will it make if I fit two rimlocks on the back wheel? Is it just double the protection to stop the tyre from moving? Or something else?

It's double the protection. Makes tyre removal/refitting in the field a little trickier.
For MT21 and moderate trail riding, a single rimlock is adequate.

Timpo.

Hey Onyerbike,

What size did you order - I was going to get a set from Race Spec also.

Cheers Paul

Hey Onyerbike,

What size did you order - I was going to get a set from Race Spec also.

Cheers Paul

by the way - if you bought your XC in France like I did you probably have the user manual in French. The english version has much more in - I have the english manual as a pdf that I can email you if you want.

Paul

by the way - if you bought your XC in France like I did you probably have the user manual in French. The english version has much more in - I have the english manual as a pdf that I can email you if you want.

Paul

Feck me..... you'll have XC owners reading manuals next........:augie

:rtfm:D

Timpo.

Paul
Cheers for that Paul but last time I was back in the UK I popped into Bahnstormers BMW on the way back to the ferry in Portsmouth, bought one of them Enduro helmets, 420 euros in France, 250 euros in UK so done a parallel import in reverse, anyway they had a owners manual in stock so they also relieved me of £11 for one of them.
Gonna order 1.60 front and 2.50 rear when I finally pull me finger out.

It's double the protection. Makes tyre removal/refitting in the field a little trickier.
For MT21 and moderate trail riding, a single rimlock is adequate.

Timpo.
One final question, maybe stupid, but a novice here so bear with me!
Got me rimlocks, just about to fit them - with the rimlocks fitted, am I right to assume that I can still run the tyres at normal road pressures and use it on the road as normal?

No Rimlocks on my XChallenge

Enduro road legal MT21's or 908RR's

Usually run 25psi front and rear (it's a lardy bike)

Can't see a massive advantage to losing pressure on such a heavy 150kg bike, to improve tread footprint and width of tread

Have a missed a trick, wise ones:nenau

I can see the advantage on a 100kg Enduro bike, but not much point on a 150kg dualsport

Having said that, I ususally run about 2psi in the rear of my 4RT Mont for rocks (with no rimlocks) and it's fine on a 70kg Trials bike

Thoughts from the collective

Back
Top Bottom