Can Zumo navigate a route from an intermediate waypoint?

FatBob

Reaction score
I created a route starting from home to a friend's house in Woking. When I set off the Zumo was on but after a few minutes it didn't seem to be doing anything, no directions or voice prompts. Not a problem because I knew the start of the route, so I cancelled the navigation and went through the process of selecting the saved route again.

When I selected the route Zumo asks "navigate to start of route" or something like that. If I say "Yes" it just directs me home even though I am obviously already further along the route. If I say "no" then it seems to cancel the navigation completely. Eventually i gave up and had to stop and create a new route on the Zumo.

Is there was way to get Zumo to navigate an existing route from somewhere in the middle without having to drive back to the start first? ie if I have a route A-B-C-D and I am at (or near) B, can I get it to navigate B-C-D without going back to A?

Hi Bob,

What should happen, is that if you say "No" to the prompt to navigate to the start, your route should then be displayed on the screen in purple, or whatever colour. If you then ride onto the route at any point it will pickup that you are "on route" and start navigating from that point.

I've done this a few times on my 660, so it does work :)

This is the same as if you ride "off ROute" and ask it to not recalculate. It will then wait for you to get back on route before it carries on navigating.

Chas.

Great, thanks. I would never have figured that one out!

Is that in the manual? I haven't read it cover to cover but I don't recall anything like that.

What you could do is tap on the navigation screen to open the map screen where you can move around, click on part of your set route and navigate to that point by pressing GO, then when you get to that point just start the route again. This of course if you are way off route and are struggling finding your way back to your set route.

It didn't work.

I created the route in mapsource and exported it to the Zumo 660. The route follows the coast road in North Norfolk from Kings Lynn to Beccles, I picked about 5 waypoints along the route to get mapsource to take the roads I wanted.

The route showed up on the Zumo but when I selected it and answered "No" when it asked "Navigate to start of route", the route was just a series of straight lines between the waypoints which didn't follow any roads. I was already on the road that the route was supposed to go on when I started the ride but Zumo didn't navigate. I followed the route anyway because there was pretty much only one way to go. Twice along the route I got a prompt from the Zumo that I was approaching a waypoint but it still didn't start navigating. What went wrong?

... the route was just a series of straight lines between the waypoints which didn't follow any roads ...

If it's a series of straight lines it's not imported it correctly, and so it is not a navigable route, which is why it did not pick up the 'route' and navigate you on it.

Looks like I may have been mising a step. i just had a play with the Zumo and imported the route through the My Data menu option. Now I have the original "Rouet A to B" which appears as a series of straight lines if I preview it, and "Roue A to B 1" which previews as a proper route along the right roads. So I guess the ...1 route should work but the original one doesn't. What a ridiculous system! I sent the route the the Zumo from Mapsource, the route showed up in the custom routes screen so I though that was it. But I have to import the same route and end up with a duplicate before it will work on the Zumo? :nenau

When I imported the route I got the usual "Recalculating..." message but i don't remember ever seeing that for the original route, so I wondered what would happen if I explicitly told Zumo to recalculate the original route. It seemed to think the route was off road, that was the selected option when the recalculate screen displayed. I selected Fastest Route and it recalculated, but now the route ends at the first via point and the rest has disappeared. At least the first segment is now on a road! Doesn't really solve the problem though.

I haven't done a software update for a couple of months so is this something that may have been fixed in the meantime? All the mapsource tutorials I have read just tell you to send the route and waypoints to the GPS, theres nothing about having to import the route.

Just installed the 3.1 firmware update which I think has resolved the issue.

Two of my route, both more than 31 waypoints will not import. It says that they are too long to import and that navigaton will be done while close to the destination.
It doesn't. Latet updates all installed.

Two of my route, both more than 31 waypoints will not import. It says that they are too long to import and that navigaton will be done while close to the destination.
It doesn't. Latet updates all installed.

How long are the routes?

Do they have waypoints or are they via points?

Can you post them up here, in a compressed folder if necessary, so we can have a go for you?

Have you sent them to Garmin so they can have a go?

Yelo! :)

Just logged in after a long while. What is the difference between a waypoint and a via point for a Garmin unit?

My route uses waypoints according to Mapsource, 36 in total.

How long are the routes?

Do they have waypoints or are they via points?

Can you post them up here, in a compressed folder if necessary, so we can have a go for you?

Have you sent them to Garmin so they can have a go?

Just logged in after a long while. What is the difference between a waypoint and a via point for a Garmin unit?

Basically,

waypoint a position you choose eg a fuel station / hospital, is in your waypoint list.

Via point a position that mapsource itself uses to attach itself to a route. May show up in your waypoint list and if you search for waypoints in Mapsource. Can be removed using a PONI killer.

And what is the real difference in terms of navigation? It seems to me that in Mapsource, its called a waypoint, and as soon s its imported to the Zumo, its a via point.

My route still has the same problem. When calculating the route at import point, it stops at 50%-ish and tells me that "The route is too long. Navigation instructions will be added as you approach the destination." 36 points all in.

Whether I get a straight line to the waypoint/via point or proper navigation is hit and miss, mostly miss, mostly a straight line.

I have updated Mapsource to the latest version and the unit to version 3.2.

We now have the extra bonus feature of the Zumo switcing itself off, after failing to tranfer a route from mapsource and refusing to restart unless the battery is taken off and put back in. The only way seems to be to copy and paste the GPX file to the gpx folder in the Zumo.

Why anyone would choose this over a TomTom other than screen size really beats me. I am starting to regret spending money on Garmin...

:blast:nenau

Back
Top Bottom