Oregon or Colorado?

riderbob

Reaction score
Has anyone on here purchased the above Garmin handheld GPS's. You can buy mounts for them for the bike and also used them in the car.

Any observations anyone can share?

Has anyone on here purchased the above Garmin handheld GPS's. You can buy mounts for them for the bike and also used them in the car.

Any observations anyone can share?

Yes, i have the Oregon 300 not bad,
but you have to update the soft.
Garmin is still working on it:rob

but my 276 is better:augie

Any other comments? :thumb2

... or do I assume no one has bought these handhelds?

Neither Oregon nor Colorado are suited for use on a bike.

You can not switch off neither the autozoom nor the automatic route recalculation. This means that they are only good for showing you the fastest way to your goal.

They can't show you a nice road created on a PC or uploaded from the internet.

Better alternatives for bikers are 60Cx and eTrex HCX.

Neither Oregon nor Colorado are suited for use on a bike.

You can not switch off neither the autozoom nor the automatic route recalculation. This means that they are only good for showing you the fastest way to your goal.

They can't show you a nice road created on a PC or uploaded from the internet.

Better alternatives for bikers are 60Cx and eTrex HCX.

Thanks HMR, I look at the 60CX and the eTrex. :thumb2

Erm......I believe a certain twinkly eyed old hippy who recently went to Mongolia on his bike has one....I can't remember which, but we had it in the car in Morocco and it was a pretty decent little unit......He may have even taken it to Mongolia, I don't know :nenau

;)

I've been a Garmin fanboy since before there were enough GPS birds up to have full coverage... (really...)

I bought a Colorado because it has an endless tracklog. Something I feel is important as I've always run out in the middle of trips, and I use tracklogs to publish maps with my photo trip reports... and geo-ref my photos.

I have to say that I'm at a loss as to what Brand to buy next (whenever next comes along)... The Colorado is so much less than my 60c before many ways... I get the feeling that since maybe 3 or 4 years ago, things have slid at Garmin Design and I don't find myself lusting after the next model as I once did... (My age or declining product? Dunno....)

I've heard that the Colorado has problems with the wheely thingy... mine now doesn't respond very well to the power-off button.. (one month past warantee :mad:)

I don't like the idea of the Oregon as pushing buttons in the dark by feel is something that is important in a hiking GPS.

Need to have a look around and see that else it out there...

Al...

Thanks Al, more food for thought then. I need some feedback on the Oregon as well but I note your comments.

Back
Top Bottom