Nuvi 660?

It is superb I have one on mine. The screen is the most useful I've had and far better than RAM's boxes (clearer, no bubbles, doesn't retain grease and touchscreen works.)

The Nuvi 660 is very good, if perhaps a little dated. I use mine in the car (no bike mount as yet). If you buy a used one make sure you get everything with it (GTM21 traffic receiver, home charger, windscreen mount, case etc) as anything missing (in particular the windscreen mount) will be hard to find. If you feel very lucky, ask in you local Halfords for product code 650952. If there are any left (admittedly unlikely) the last list price was £39.99 if I remember correctly). Also possibly factor in the cost of a map upgrade as this unit went obsolete at least two years ago.

As far as I know the Nuvi 660 is an A to B device, it doesn't do specified routes. In other words you put in the destination and the sat nav decides how to get there only taking into account the options of fastest/shortest routing options and a few vehicle types (lorry, car, bicycle etc). You do have the option of one other point to visit along the way, a via-point, but that's it. OK for getting somewhere.

The bike specific, and higher end car sat navs, accept route files usually prepared on your PC and uploaded to the device. These specify multiple hidden points along a route (nodes) that can dictate a very complex and twisty route, you can even plot circular routes coming back to the same spot. Regrettably the Nuvi 660 won't do that and as such isn't an ideal sat nav for recreational motorcycle use, sorry... :(

The Nuvi 155w I bought from Halfords a month ago wouldn't route half way over Germany without an "out of memory" error. Given how cheap RAM is it shows how little Garmin care about their cheaper devices (and this was £38 so not that cheap).

If you're going down this route you might as well go TomTom with latest maps on a PDA or phone PDA. I've got it on my HTC Touch Diamond and it's ace.

As far as I know the Nuvi 660 is an A to B device, it doesn't do specified routes. In other words you put in the destination and the sat nav decides how to get there only taking into account the options of fastest/shortest routing options and a few vehicle types (lorry, car, bicycle etc). You do have the option of one other point to visit along the way, a via-point, but that's it. OK for getting somewhere.

The bike specific, and higher end car sat navs, accept route files usually prepared on your PC and uploaded to the device. These specify multiple hidden points along a route (nodes) that can dictate a very complex and twisty route, you can even plot circular routes coming back to the same spot. Regrettably the Nuvi 660 won't do that and as such isn't an ideal sat nav for recreational motorcycle use, sorry... :(

Entirely correct. It's a good car unit, designed to get you somewhere using its choice of route. If all you need of a satnav is help finding your hotel/dealer/Tesco/whatever then its a good unit. If you need detailed route planning and don't mind carrying a computer about with you then a 2610/..../2820 or Zumo will do it for a price. My only use for electronic maps is the last few miles in unfamiliar places so a car unit is fine for me. There are Garmin car units that import routes from Mapsource but they cost nearly as much as a Zumo.

Back
Top Bottom