Can anyone explain the legal requirement for tyres on a trial bike to me, please :)

LiquidLAN

Reaction score
My WR450 failed its MOT today - fair enough - failed on two things, one I need to fit a break light switch to the front break, and 2 the rear tyre is marked NHS (not for Highway use or something)

Talking to the guy at the test station apparently I need a tyre that is either marked Multi Surface Use and/or has a E2 marking. I've just looked at a Treliborg that I thought was supposed to be road legal, but it has neither of the above and is in fact mark E8. I can't find anything to suggest it is or isnt for road use so I'm a bit stumped about fitting it.

Does anyone know what is actually required as a marking on tyres???

My WR450 failed its MOT today - fair enough - failed on two things, one I need to fit a break light switch to the front break, and 2 the rear tyre is marked NHS (not for Highway use or something)

Talking to the guy at the test station apparently I need a tyre that is either marked Multi Surface Use and/or has a E2 marking. I've just looked at a Treliborg that I thought was supposed to be road legal, but it has neither of the above and is in fact mark E8. I can't find anything to suggest it is or isnt for road use so I'm a bit stumped about fitting it.

The Trelliborg swiss army trye is road legal

http://www.trelleborgtyres.co.uk/faq.htm

Give them a ring to clarify

Cheers Ricky, I think I've found out some more information since I posted this originally and it's not really made it any more clear than it was before

From what I can tell, the old rules where that tyres where checked if they had a not for road use stamp and that the tread pattern was legal, but apparently the new rules are that the tyre must have an MST and E2 (in a circle) mark or an e in a square

the Trelleborg has neither, it actually has an E8 mark in a circle

guess my only option is to take it along to the test centre and see what they say or buy another tyre :nenau

Cheers Ricky, I think I've found out some more information since I posted this originally and it's not really made it any more clear than it was before

From what I can tell, the old rules where that tyres where checked if they had a not for road use stamp and that the tread pattern was legal, but apparently the new rules are that the tyre must have an MST and E2 (in a circle) mark or an e in a square

the Trelleborg has neither, it actually has an E8 mark in a circle

guess my only option is to take it along to the test centre and see what they say or buy another tyre :nenau

copied this form another forum, it may help

the fact it is marked E8 means it was manufactured in Czech and meets the EU guidelines for a road legal. Any of the following mark's is correct:

E1 - Germany
E2 - France
E3 - Italy
E4 - Netherlands
E5 - Sweden
E6 - Belgium
E7 - Hungary
E8 - Czech Republic
E9 - Spain
E10 - Yugoslavia
E11 - United Kingdom
E12 - Austria
E13 - Luxembourg
E14 - Switzerland
E16 - Norway
E17 - Finland
E18 - Denmark
E19 - Romania
E20 - Poland
E21 - Portugal
E22 - Russian Federation
E23 - Greece
E24 - Ireland
E25 - Croatia
E26 - Slovenia
E27 - Slovakia
E28 - Belarus
E29 - Estonia
E31 - Bosnia and Herzegovina
E32 - Latvia
E34 - Bulgaria
E37 - Turkey
E40 - The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
E42 - European Community
E43 - Japan

ah... that's what it all means :) just got back from the MOT place having taken the tyre down there to confirm and was about to post the reply, but you've give so much more info :)

right off to change the tyre and get it ready for a retest

Many thanks for your help

Can anyone explain the legal requirement for tyres on a trial bike to me, please

Its not only a legal requirement to have tyres on a trail bike, it is also the most sensible thing to do.

Running any bike without tyres is not only a bit noisy, but modern rims offer almost no grip on tarmac or off-road.

:)

Its not only a legal requirement to have tyres on a trail bike, it is also the most sensible thing to do.

Running any bike without tyres is not only a bit noisy, but modern rims offer almost no grip on tarmac or off-road.

nah.... you say that, but I've seen the Dakar on a number of occasions and I know what can be done without tyres :D

Maybe not a legal requirement to have tyres but I`m not sure that the bike would pass the braking efficiency test without tyres fitted .

Harry

I was advised before my mot (by my mot tester)on the xr to use emery cloth and rub away the "Not for highway use" then put mud on the tyre as he wasn't allowed to rub it off. Problem solved

4" grinder with an abrasive pad as opposed to a disc also works well :)

however pc plod on the lanes will know if the tyre is legal or not by looking at the tread pattern. There are still guidelines for the tyres to attain the e mark and moto x tyres look VERY different.

however pc plod on the lanes will know if the tyre is legal or not by looking at the tread pattern. There are still guidelines for the tyres to attain the e mark and moto x tyres look VERY different.

Police down here are that bother about tread patterns, in fact police down here don't seem bothered about very much:augie:augie

tyres

should be e marked, or dot mark on side wall. look for twi bar or mark the 2mm marker in the tread pattern. the e mark means it ok to use in europe that it ,or buff the off road use only ....you know it makes sense :augie:augie:augie:augie

not true, my rear tyre is illegal, and my front is legal, yet they look almost the same, those days are long past, they look for an "E" mark, rub the "not for highway use" off, it makes no difference, still illegal,:thumb, ,jasonbc, your mot tester is wrong, tell him to look in his manual,:thumb2
however most plod dont know and only look for a" not for highway use mark", but you may be unlucky

Back
Top Bottom