Another day jaunt to France....

Wapping

Reaction score
Following the apparent success of Saturday's and other previous little forays across the water, I thought I might repeat the event.

PROVISIONAL DATE: Saturday 8th MAY - This assumes the cafe can take us.

DEPART: 08:00 train

RETURN: 17:20 train

NUMBER OF BIKES: 16 tops, limited really by the numbers of bods the cafe can take. A few less if there are lots of pillions.

DISTANCE: About 120 miles around from Calais, in three legs.

WHO IS IT SUITABLE FOR: Anyone really who just fancies a reasonable day out.

It is, I think, good for anyone who is new to motorcycling or hasn't ridden much (or at all) across the water.

There are no 'off road' sections and just a tiny piece of motorway on the run in to the tunnel in France. The rest is all on D roads.

INTEREST: Ping up any here, please.

Richard

Attachments

• FINAL Cassel and Cap Griz Nez cafe ride March 2010 (final).gdb
    134.1 KB · Views: 82
Some days........................I so wish I lived in Folkstone............i'd be in France every fecking weeked......................then on most other days - the National Parks of Yorkshire compensate for it:D

stick me down might have wife or nipper with me.plus maybe another bike.will let you know.

Put my name on the list Richard.
Give us the thumbs up when to be the train.
Looking forward to it.:bounce1

Thanks for the replies.

If anyone is keen we could think about making it a Staurday /Sunday affair, staying St Omer, say, on Saturday night coming back late afternoon Sunday.

Things to possibly do on Sunday?

Go down to Arras / Vimy Ridge?

VimyRidgeMemorial_06b.jpg

That would mean probably mean a schlep back up the motorway to get back, but not too bad. Probably easiest to garb a sandwich or something for lunch.

===

On the Saturday we could ring a bit change, too. Bring a packed lunch etc. on the train. Ride out to Cassel for coffee, then back to Cap Griz Nez via a longer route. Have packed lunch on the hoof at, say, the Batterie Todt museum, then go back to St Omer for the early evening, beers etc.

bt.html

I'm not missing another one :) I'm in (although that date seems to ring a bell for some reason?!?!?)

Nigel

Please count me in for the day or even the weekend if thats the plan. easy either way.:thumb2

Counted! Everyone welcome......even Taffies :D :beerjug:

====

Drat! why am i Sooo far from that dam tube under the sea???:tears

That is a problem, I can see.

What sort of time away would make it worthwhile you coming over?

I ran two reasonably successful four or five day jaunts in France last summer. I could see if I could do something similar this year or next if there was enough interest.

Put me down as a probable (to be confirmed this evening after consultation with The Boss)

I presume you book the train on Eurotunnel.com? I found tickets for £14 each way, including the return train at 17:20, but the only options for outbound were 7:50 or 8:20. Which one do I pick?

Rob

Put me down as a probable (to be confirmed this evening after consultation with The Boss)

I presume you book the train on Eurotunnel.com? I found tickets for £14 each way, including the return train at 17:20, but the only options for outbound were 7:50 or 8:20. Which one do I pick?

Rob

Hi there.

I just made the 08:00 train up. :toungincheek I couldn't be bothered to look the train times up, was all.

In the past we have gone on the 08:20 but as it will be May and lighter in the mornings, I thought we might buy ourselves some extra time. I wanted to try to do a longer route back to the coast and the extra half an hour would be handy. It is a route that I had planned to use last weekend but time was a bit short. If we go down the packed lunch option and then take a look at the Todt Batterie it may all work out OK.

I will probably go with the 07:50 train. I will do a recce on it before April to see how it works out, anway.

Watch this space in the next day or so. I certainly want to make sure of the low prices on offer, too. :thumb2

Richard

i'd like to give it a go not rode on the 'other side of the road before'......ta

Back
Top Bottom