UK-Romania-France August 2010

jc_bromley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I'm leaving the UK on the 4th August, I have to be in the South of France by the 12th. In that time I want to ride the Transfagarasan Highway, probably north to South finishing after the lake.

I want get to Romania a soon as possible avoiding Austria on the way if poss!!!, after Romania I'll head West across Serbia, Croatia & Slovenia then through Italy into France.

Can anyone suggest good routes & places to stay? I'm taking a tent etc so camping or hotels are good.

Thanks for reading,

JC

Hi,

You will have gone by the time I have posted this but I have just come back from Germany - Austria - Hungary - Romania - Hungary - Austria - Czech Republic - Germany (inc. Transfagarian) and live in Biggin Hill. Give me a call if you would like to compare notes.

And wondering why you want to avoid Austria?

Hi there,

We were thinking of going on a similar route to yours leaving at the start of Oct, any info would be gratefully received. cheers

What to say without making it a book. Main thing is Romania was great and both wife and I would go back again tomorrow.

Accommodation

We never book as we don't like fixing a schedule and mix camping and hotels as the mood (and money) takes us. Hotels are so cheap in Romania that it was hardly worth taking the tent.

Four star room for two inc. breakfast in good hotels cost around £20 - £25. The most we paid was £36 in a new hotel in Bran - a very big tourist area.

We camped in Sighisoara on a site which was basically a huge "lido" i.e. swimming pool, sunbathing, bar, etc. with a small camping area, hotel and chalets. Camping inc. use of facilities was about £7.00 night. The chalets cost £24.00 per night. Site is secure. Camping Aquarius which features on Archies Camping POIs.

Camping also very cheap in Czech Republic and worth going for a visit to Cesky Krumlov. Camping Paradis is a few K outside on the banks of a river. Nice site, English speaking staff and has bar and food. Popular stop for people on the river as well.

Safety

We had heard lot of dire warnings about thieving Romanians. Maybe we were lucky but it was no different to anywhere else. The warnings to be careful with credit/debit cards is probably valid. Ie. draw cash from bank machines and pay cash for meals, fuel, etc. We had to use machines for fuel sometime because outside the bigger towns cash machines can be VERY hard to find. Made sure to only use cards when we retained contact, i.e. we could use chip and pin machine.

After some close calls on the roads a Romanian told us that they have no history of big bikes so when a driver sees a single headlight he assumes it is a moped or little scooter pottering along towards him so is happy to overtake and let the bike go in the gutter. They don't expect a 300kg missile doing 90 coming towards them. Whenever traffic is coming towards you beware the dick head pulling out to overtake.

Also watch out for level crossings (watch for the vertical barrier pole). Even on fast good roads the surface over the crossings can be diabolical and can catch you out as either it too fast or the car in front suddenly brakes hard to about 15 mph for no obvious reason.

Fuel

After some previous experiences of having trouble finding fuel in Slovakia we expected Romania to be similar. In fact there are more 24 hour filling stations than you can use. Fuel is pretty cheap as well. Hungary is expensive for fuel which explains the big queues at fuel stops in Austria near border.

Vignette

Austria requires the purchase of a vignette which costs 4.50 Euros for 10 days. Hungary operates a system like the London congestion charge. You pay and get a receipt with your bike number on it and it is policed by ANPR cameras. Cost is a few £ for thee days and we found it cheaper to buy separate ones for outward and return trips.

In Romania and Czech Republic bikes are exempt.

Places

In Romania the obvious area is probably Transylvania with Sighisoara worth a visit plus Brasov which has Castle Bran and the hill top remains of Rasnov nearby. More obvious is a ride over the Transfagarasan. We stayed in the Bulevade Hotel in the centre of Fagaras the night before. Good room, good food, usual cheap and the Fagaras Citadel which is also worth visiting is nearby.

On the way there a good overnight is on Lake Balaton in Hungary. Very popular holiday area with good hotels, camping, etc. We stayed on a site with everything from bars, restaurants, shops, water skiing, paragliding, etc. etc. for £15.00.

The trip to Cesky Krumlov was suggested by a Spanish GSer we met in Brasov. Well worth the diversion. Going via Budapest, then on to Vienna and a marvellous ride along rivers and across mountains into Austria.

Tried to add track log as gpx but file is too big for site.

We are going in October!!

Hi Andy, could I be a pain and ask if you could give us a rough plan of your route? Also the time it took you to do? We are planning exactly the same as yourself incorporating transfagaran and ending up in constante, then back the way you came, Any help would be great, ie, can we buy the vignettes and passes for the bike on the borders etc? Cheers, stevie.

What to say without making it a book. Main thing is Romania was great and both wife and I would go back again tomorrow.

Accommodation

We never book as we don't like fixing a schedule and mix camping and hotels as the mood (and money) takes us. Hotels are so cheap in Romania that it was hardly worth taking the tent.

Four star room for two inc. breakfast in good hotels cost around £20 - £25. The most we paid was £36 in a new hotel in Bran - a very big tourist area.

We camped in Sighisoara on a site which was basically a huge "lido" i.e. swimming pool, sunbathing, bar, etc. with a small camping area, hotel and chalets. Camping inc. use of facilities was about £7.00 night. The chalets cost £24.00 per night. Site is secure. Camping Aquarius which features on Archies Camping POIs.

Camping also very cheap in Czech Republic and worth going for a visit to Cesky Krumlov. Camping Paradis is a few K outside on the banks of a river. Nice site, English speaking staff and has bar and food. Popular stop for people on the river as well.

Safety

We had heard lot of dire warnings about thieving Romanians. Maybe we were lucky but it was no different to anywhere else. The warnings to be careful with credit/debit cards is probably valid. Ie. draw cash from bank machines and pay cash for meals, fuel, etc. We had to use machines for fuel sometime because outside the bigger towns cash machines can be VERY hard to find. Made sure to only use cards when we retained contact, i.e. we could use chip and pin machine.

After some close calls on the roads a Romanian told us that they have no history of big bikes so when a driver sees a single headlight he assumes it is a moped or little scooter pottering along towards him so is happy to overtake and let the bike go in the gutter. They don't expect a 300kg missile doing 90 coming towards them. Whenever traffic is coming towards you beware the dick head pulling out to overtake.

Also watch out for level crossings (watch for the vertical barrier pole). Even on fast good roads the surface over the crossings can be diabolical and can catch you out as either it too fast or the car in front suddenly brakes hard to about 15 mph for no obvious reason.

Fuel

After some previous experiences of having trouble finding fuel in Slovakia we expected Romania to be similar. In fact there are more 24 hour filling stations than you can use. Fuel is pretty cheap as well. Hungary is expensive for fuel which explains the big queues at fuel stops in Austria near border.

Vignette

Austria requires the purchase of a vignette which costs 4.50 Euros for 10 days. Hungary operates a system like the London congestion charge. You pay and get a receipt with your bike number on it and it is policed by ANPR cameras. Cost is a few £ for thee days and we found it cheaper to buy separate ones for outward and return trips.

In Romania and Czech Republic bikes are exempt.

Places

In Romania the obvious area is probably Transylvania with Sighisoara worth a visit plus Brasov which has Castle Bran and the hill top remains of Rasnov nearby. More obvious is a ride over the Transfagarasan. We stayed in the Bulevade Hotel in the centre of Fagaras the night before. Good room, good food, usual cheap and the Fagaras Citadel which is also worth visiting is nearby.

On the way there a good overnight is on Lake Balaton in Hungary. Very popular holiday area with good hotels, camping, etc. We stayed on a site with everything from bars, restaurants, shops, water skiing, paragliding, etc. etc. for £15.00.

The trip to Cesky Krumlov was suggested by a Spanish GSer we met in Brasov. Well worth the diversion. Going via Budapest, then on to Vienna and a marvellous ride along rivers and across mountains into Austria.

Tried to add track log as gpx but file is too big for site.

I'll add more later - now on way to work (4:30 Sat !!)

Yes you can buy vignettes at borders. Lots of little shops and filling stations selling them

Our total mileage was 3500 and we took two weeks with two nights each in Sighisoara, Brasnov and Cesky Krumlov. We had thoughts of getting to Constanta and Bucharest but were told by a number of people that Bucharest was not worth it apart from the "Hall of the People" and then decided that Constanta was a bit too much for two weeks (my wife was on an old 650 CS which she eventually decided was not up to some of the crap roads and ordered a new 650 GS as soon as we got home).

Cheers

Thanks Andy, look forward to any advice or things to avoid etc! We are hoteling it all the way, we were thinking of doing it in 10 days. We like big days in the saddle, Bratislava to the ferry last year in one hit. cheers, stevie.

Back
Top Bottom