Tyres for 1200 GS

Old Salt

I picked up a german GS magasin at Frankfurt airport,it had a section on tyers for the GS the two types mostely recomended was Tourance and Anakee with Anakee slightly better in wet conditions.
My 1200 was fitted with Bridgestones and the back weel is now in a not so good condition after 5000 miles(8000km)
I am a little disapointed I had a set of Tourance on my 650 GS and they lasted 11000 miles.!!!
What do you recon would be "normal" for a set of tyers,I personaly always get one front for two back tyers.

Any input on 1200 gs with Tourance or Anakee on how they stand up on milage. before I buy new tyers.

Old Salt

I dunno - you buy a new bike with more power and torque than the previous model and you complain that it wears tyres out more quickly.

I'd guess 5000 miles is going to be about right - most modern jap bikes would do less.

Some people get 10000 miles , some get 4000 out of the 11** series bikes.

I got 4500 out my last rear in the UK- for example

Hi
I am not complaining,I want to know if anyone have any experience on the tyer brands mentioned.

Even if I have a bigger bike with more power my driving habit havent changed , I dont do any more fast accelerations as I did with the 650,the bikes is almost similar in weight,I am driving in a very behaved manner,experience have tought me that that is the best way to survive in traffic.
I have driven bikes for 45 years including competition both speedway and motocross. and have had my share of "total
wright off" incidents in my younger years

Old Salt

motomartin said:
I dunno - you buy a new bike with more power and torque than the previous model and you complain that it wears tyres out more quickly.

Hmmm.... Isn't it amazing how people interpret messages so differently. I didn't think Old Salt was complaining.

Motomartin what made you think that?

ps - this is not a complaint :D

Any input on 1200 gs with Tourance or Anakee on how they stand up on milage. before I buy new tyers.

On my 1150GS and GSA I've always got ~9,000 miles from rear Tourances.
Michelin T66 gave me ~6,000 miles.
The one Anakee I had on the GSA gave me ~5,000 miles.
The one Trailwing I had on my 1150GS gave me 4,000 miles.

Guess what my 12gs came with - yes F****in Trailwings. I have 3,000 miles on it and the rear will last ~1,000 more miles.

Tourance, Tourance, Tourance - the best all rounder.

My bike came with Anakee`s and I am very happy with them. They seem to grip very well in all conditions and even in very heavy rain they perform beyond my expectations. The only down side is they probably wont last as long as the Tourances. Done 3500 miles now and from the look off them, there probably half done. I`m hoping for aleast 6000 from the rear.

My brother has the Tourances and he is happy with them.

Its a personel thing that only you can decide, but I will probably go for the Anakee again as long as it not too expensive compared to the Tourances. I cant comment on any other tyre as I dont have any experience with them.

Hi

Yea I will probably go for Tourance,I was very happy with them on my 650GS,I did however change to Anakee just befor I sold it,so I have no experience wih Anakee,the Tourance never let me down even in heavey rain and wet snow condition.

Old Salt

My 1200 came with Trailwings and whilst fine in the dry I had a few moments yesterday in the wet. I'm not confident on them in the wet and will not be peplacing like for like. I've done about 3700 miles and I recon theres another 3500 left. My last tourances on my 850 did over 9000 miles and I couldn't fault them. I'll be going for Tourance next time for sure.

HAve Fun

AndyT:cool:

Re tyres

Dunlops, 2,300 miles 1mm left, pile of shi##t, grip well in the dry, thats as good as it gets, tourance 4,500 miles on my adventure, will have to see what the 12 will do on tourance, not expecting no more than 4,500 miles, just got my latest pair for £135 quid from BFM motorcycles at shipley west yorkshire.

Andy

Garfieldus said:

Michelin T66 gave me ~6,000 miles.
The one Anakee I had on the GSA gave me ~5,000 miles.

Our styles must differ. I will be changing the T66s on the 1150GS at the 18K service next month. First set of tyres. Changing to Anakees only because I can't get the T66.

Also got similar mileages from the T66 on the 650GS.

bgd said:
Our styles must differ. I will be changing the T66s on the 1150GS at the 18K service next month. First set of tyres. Changing to Anakees only because I can't get the T66.

Also got similar mileages from the T66 on the 650GS.

Am I getting you right here? Are you saying you got 18,000 miles from a rear T66?

R1200GS Tyres

My old 1150GS had T66's fitted when I first got it. They wore well but didn't have much grip in the wet. I changed over to Tourance which I found to be far better on wet roads. They did wear out a little quicker but that's preferable to slipping and sliding!

I was horrified to see that my new 1200GS was fitted with Michelins when I picked it up, and have been hoping that the Anakees would be better than the old T66's. I've only covered 700 miles on the bike now but am a little wary in the wet so far, just in case.

Reading through this thread it looks like maybe the Anakees are an improvement on the T66. With all the rain we have been getting here in the UK recently I wonder if anyone has any further comments on how they perform, are they as good as the Tourance or not?

Colin.

Grip or milage

My 1200Gs was delivered with Anakee. Now after 7500 km the rear tire is almost gone. But the grip is great. In wet & cold conditions the grip is dramatically better than the Tourance.

But the Tourance I had on my 1150GS lasted much longer. I estimate that I got at least 50% more milage compared with the Anakee.

What I will buy next time? Anakee of course! Grip is everything!

Anakee

My intension was to go for Tourance,but the dealer only had Anakee aviable on a one day notice,so I said ok.
I have 3000km on these tyeres and they stand up very well on wear,and the grip is outstanding in wet conditon.
Ill probably get 9000-10000km out of the back tyre,
sofar very happy with the Anakees.

Old Salt

Anyone trid the Brodgestones yet. BT020 now availanble in sizes for GS should wear and grip better.

The best tyre I have had on the Adventure is TCK 80'S. I have a set of Tourances on the bike at the moment and I hate them. I will never put them on again. The Adventure is very skittish and the front tyre is wearing just as fast as the rear. I'll see what my new 1200 will have on it in Dec and try those out.

kiwiAdventure said:
The best tyre I have had on the Adventure is TCK 80'S. I have a set of Tourances on the bike at the moment and I hate them. I will never put them on again. The Adventure is very skittish and the front tyre is wearing just as fast as the rear. I'll see what my new 1200 will have on it in Dec and try those out.

You can't really compare TKC80 with neither Tourance nor Anakee. TKC80 is far superior on gravel while the Anakee/Tourance are much better on paved road. I have both Anakee and TKC80 and change tires depending what kind of roads I'm planning for.

I indeed appreciate the TKC80 on all kinds if dry gravel including soft sand. But on wet roads or grass the front tire is not knobby enough. Next time I will buy Karoo front and TKC80 rear.

HMR said:
You can't really compare TKC80 with neither Tourance nor Anakee. TKC80 is far superior on gravel while the Anakee/Tourance are much better on paved road. I have both Anakee and TKC80 and change tires depending what kind of roads I'm planning for.

I indeed appreciate the TKC80 on all kinds if dry gravel including soft sand. But on wet roads or grass the front tire is not knobby enough. Next time I will buy Karoo front and TKC80 rear.

I've never tried any other road tyre. This set of Tourances is the first. I've always had some kind of TCK 80 on my bikes for 32 years.
If I was riding long black top roads then I would have a set of road tyres. down here in NZ we have so many gravel side roads that they are a wast of time.

NZ has roads you dream about riding:beerjug:

The_Pilot said:
Anyone trid the Brodgestones yet. BT020 now availanble in sizes for GS should wear and grip better.

The 020 is a great tyre but don't expect it to last that long. If you get more than 5000 miles from the rear you'll be reasonably lucky.

Back
Top Bottom