Bike blown over by the wind

IanM

Covered my bike with the normal bike cover after putting it on the centre stand and a few hours later it was blown over. It was not in an exposed place indeed it was between two cars. It fell on to the new Toyota parked on my left and then on to the ground. How strong must the gusts have been?

A little damage to the bike, broken head protector (plastic) and one of the winderscreen pins (the ones just above the headlights) broken. Also a bit of scrating on the left head (I am not impressed with the plastic protector where can I get metal ones from?). Nothing else broken or damaged, lucky I suppose.

The Toyota looks very damaged and it belongs to a friend from work! I guess it will cost me several hundred pounds to have it repaired.

Not a good day.

My advice don't put a cover on your bike if its windy.

If it had been 30kg heavier, that would never have happened !!

Or it would have made an even bigger more expensive dent in the Toyota

Den said:
If it had been 30kg heavier, that would never have happened !!

why not make the next 1200GS Adventure less powerful and 80Kg heavier to be on the safe side?

even better why not bolt it on the pavement? (it won't be able to ride anyway)

---

in any case the bad thing was not only the cover, it was the center stand... never put a center stand when in doubt (as I said in another thread I consider SIDE stand as the main stand, not the center stand - after all 99% of bikes have the side stand, and maybe 80% do not have center stand - does this ring a bell?)

There are perhaps 50 or 60 bikes parked in a line in my office car park. Only one has ever used a cover. Only one has ever blown over....guess which. He doesn't use a cover any more. Besides, what is the point of a cover, if you wear waterproofs you won't get a wet arse.

IanM said:

A little damage to the bike, broken head protector (plastic) and one of the winderscreen pins (the ones just above the headlights) broken. Also a bit of scrating on the left head (I am not impressed with the plastic protector where can I get metal ones from?). Nothing else broken or damaged, lucky I suppose.

Touratech do an aluminium head protector (part no. 01-044-0360-0) for the 1200GS now. Similar to the 1150 version I fitted recently, and that looks like it will take more impact and protect better than the "disposable" plastic ones (I haven't yet tested it...).

RobC said:
There are perhaps 50 or 60 bikes parked in a line in my office car park. Only one has ever used a cover. Only one has ever blown over....guess which. He doesn't use a cover any more.

Was it by any chance a BMW? :)

Nah...some kind of 125 trailie type thingie. No Toyota's in sight.

Back
Top Bottom