Oil levels

bonjeroo

I have read a few of the threads about oil levels but have a question I can't find the answer to...

As per the manual I left the bike ticking over for five mins before checking the sight glass. After this time, it was empty so I put more oil in. I'm a little concerned at how much I managed to put in - well over a litre, would guess 1.5L - 2L although difficult to be sure as I was filling from a 5L can.

I'm concerned I might have over-filled. Will this bugger up the bike? What's the worst that can happen?

regards,

Bonj

The bike has to be fully warmed up before oil level can be accurately checked. Don't warm it up by letting it sit stationary an idling. Warm it up by taking a 20-30 mile ride, then stop the bike, shut off the engine and let it sit for a few minutes, THEN look at the level.

The problem with not thoroughly warming up the bike, as only a ride can really do, is that oil gets trapped in the oil cooler.

Happy to help. :)

The manual warns that overfilling can cause engine damage. Being technically incapable, I'm not sure what the damage would be in practice.

1.5l to 2l is a hell of a lot. You've either overfilled it :( or it was so low before that it was nigh on dry. :(

In normal use, monitor the oil level; it shouldn't change suddenly unless you have a leak So a sudden low or high reading is just a Boxer quirk and can be ignored. When a top up is needed, do it in small amounts I suggest a 100ml at a time; up to 250ml if it is really low. Some advise never having it over the red dot though I get it to about 75% to 80% "full" as it lasts a lot longer between top ups. BTW Emoto is absolutely right, the bike should be ridden until the oil is good and warm before a reading.

As for your current situation, others are probably better able to advise. But I would be reluctant to run the bike. Try putting it on the side stand for an hour or so and then back on the centrestand - I suspect the bike is very full and will need draining.

Paul

Steuth, I definately wouldn't run the engine. I would think the risk would be that an oil seal might blow. Best bet would be to drain the oil completely then fill with the recommended amount. I usually check mine when I finish riding for the day. Park the bike on the main stand, leave for ten minutes then check the level.

I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter. Made sure the bike was on flat ground, ran it stationary for five minutes, etc. It specifically states not to let the engine get too hot.

I have covered approx. 1000 miles since the 600 mile service so I find it difficult to believe the bike could have used more than a litre of oil.

Is blowing an oil seal really likely? I was surprised at the amount of oil that went it, but as I said, I only put in what the manual suggested. I'm wondering if at the first service they didn't put enough oil in, hence the low level.

Owning a Honda was a lot easier!

Bonj

bonjeroo said:
I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter. Made sure the bike was on flat ground, ran it stationary for five minutes, etc. It specifically states not to let the engine get too hot.

I have covered approx. 1000 miles since the 600 mile service so I find it difficult to believe the bike could have used more than a litre of oil.

Is blowing an oil seal really likely? I was surprised at the amount of oil that went it, but as I said, I only put in what the manual suggested. I'm wondering if at the first service they didn't put enough oil in, hence the low level.

Owning a Honda was a lot easier!

Bonj

I would contact the dealer before you started the bike. Make it very clear you followed the instruction manual and let them sort it out!

bob

bonjeroo said:
As per the manual I left the bike ticking over for five mins before checking the sight glass. After this time, it was empty so I put more oil in.

Are you sure you read this correctly? - my manual says to get the engine up to "operating temperature" and then leave for at least 5 minutes after switching off, before you check the level.

Re: Re: Oil levels

Clive said:
Are you sure you read this correctly? - my manual says to get the engine up to "operating temperature" and then leave for at least 5 minutes after switching off, before you check the level.
Perhaps - I wasn't in a particular hurry, but I might have made a mistake.

I will take another look tonight. I can always drain some oil if necessary.

thanks

bonjeroo, I think I would go with what the others have said - get some drained out of there.

Im not sure what the damage could be but I would not want to take the risk if I were you.

It seems to me that the manual should not be read as the rules for the GS, as the dealers and everyone else on the forum seem to have diffrent takes.

Take a look at the manual for running in - does anyone follow that? For crikes sake even the dealers dont advocate following the manual for running in!

If you got a uk manual, check out page 53 & 170 - look specifically at the front tyre pressure for two up. Now take a look at the outside back page.

I would agree that owning the Honda was not as much trouble, but if yours was anything like mine it was also missing a huge dollop of character.

OK - I'm going to drain a litre of oil this evening. How easy is this task? It's not exactly helped by the fact I don't get back from work until it's dark.

As for running it in... Other than a few brief excursions at the top end of the rev range, I kept it below 5000rpm on a variety of different roads for the first 600 miles. I then took it to Brands for a track day the day after the first service. Any opinions?

Thanks for all the advice.

Bonj

As a point of information, the damage caused from overfilling a crankcase is typically pressure related. Overfilling an engine crankcase can dramatically increase the pressures within the crankcase. This can lead to things like seals being blown out, which may lead to other problems, like a ruined clutch, for example.

If I were you I would drain the oil out untill the level appears in the level glass window. If you can already see the top of the oil in the window it can't be overfull by very much so run it, warm it up well, park it on the side stand for a couple of minutes then pop it on the centre stand and wait 5 minutes then check the level. If it's higher than the top of the glass then drain a bit.
This is just my idea and many will disagree but with an engine that's so difficult to check the oil level and so prone to misreadings it's better to be safe than sorry. I agree Hondas were never this much trouble and you'd think BMW would have got this sorted by now. I guess it's just one of those little things we ex-Honda owners have got to get used to! That, self cancelling indicaors and crap switch gear are small prices to pay for an otherwise excellent bike (oh, and £10000).

JayGee said:
If I were you I would drain the oil out untill the level appears in the level glass window. If you can already see the top of the oil in the window it can't be overfull by very much so run it, warm it up well, park it on the side stand for a couple of minutes then pop it on the centre stand and wait 5 minutes then check the level. If it's higher than the top of the glass then drain a bit.
This is just my idea and many will disagree but with an engine that's so difficult to check the oil level and so prone to misreadings it's better to be safe than sorry. I agree Hondas were never this much trouble and you'd think BMW would have got this sorted by now. I guess it's just one of those little things we ex-Honda owners have got to get used to! That, self cancelling indicaors and crap switch gear are small prices to pay for an otherwise excellent bike (oh, and £10000).

I'm going to take a look tonight. I'm assuming instructions on draining the oil will be in the manual, is this the case? Is it easy to do?

I filled the oil to the top of the sight glass, but I am going to drain some, go for a ride and then check again. I'm sure this will all become second nature after a while.

Don't get me wrong - I adore my GS - wouldn't want any other bike.

Bonj

How hard would it be for BMW to design the engine to use a dip stick - preferably one that can lock in place? I assume that bikes don't have them in case some filthy scum nicks it.

Update...

I checked my oil can and realised I had actually put 1l in the other day.

Drained approximately this amount from the engine and went for a half hour ride. Popped the bike on the sidestand for five minutes, then onto the centrestand. No oil visible in the sightglass. Added about 100ml and checked again - right at the bottom of the glass. Added approx. 400ml until the level was about 4/5 of the way up the glass.

Thanks for all the advice - very much appreciated.

Bonj

Im glad you sorted it out. My Swedish manual states that only 1dl should be added at a time.
The side stand first, then center stand seems to do the job best on my bike too.

Re: Re: Oil levels

Clive said:
You're right on this one. I didn't read the manual properly. Thanks for the advice.

There's this penguin, who's out one day in his car going for a drive. But the car starts making a funny noise and blowing smoke out of the back. So he stops at a garage and asks the mechanic to have a look for the problem. No problem says the mechanic, but it might take me a while. So the penguin goes off to get a snack, and finds an ice cream shop. He buys an ice cream and wanders back to the garage, where the mechanic has just finished looking at his car. "It looks like you've blown a seal" says the mechcanic. "No no!" says the penguin, "It's just ice cream!"

Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom