Pannier advice

tarry

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mate at work has a xt660z and was asking me about which panniers he should get? he has looked at the givi range and found some 21lt with the rails for about £260 but am not sure if these are big enough:confused: can anyone else please recommend him some.

cheers tarry

Panniers are a very personal choice. ABR did a full review of them and I think you can buy the digital edition on the website. You can spend very little and a kings ransom. How long does he want to keep them for? For example (I know you have a Tenere) I started off with the side opening BMW varios which drove me nuts but some others love them. You could also go soft luggage as well and Ortleib and Wolfman do some good stuff. You could buy off the shelf Givi, Touratech, Metal Mule, Hepco and I could keep going. Or you could go to guys like Vern, ArdCase and get some made bespoke. I went for Ard because the price was good value and Roger built a top box to fit my helmet and he was down the road. Horses for courses. Easier questions along the lines on whether Greece is going default is easier to answer.

he has looked at the givi range and found some 21lt with the rails for about £260 but am not sure if these are big enough:confused:

Big enough for what?

I find the 68L of Vario's adequate for the two of us, but would prefer a bit more capacity (the 80 odd litres of a GSA sounds about perfect) but for solo use I could easily get away with the vario's in compressed format which is probably about the same as a couple of 21's.

42L to myself would be more than enough, currently I have the small pannier and she has the big one, misc crap goes in the top box (spare gloves / visor / jumper / ear plugs etc)

I also use Hotels, if camping I would probably need more space, but I guess of your solo this can all be bunged on the back of the bike.

If this is for the odd little trip to carry one persons gear and stopping in Hotels I guess it should be OK - and the price sounds pretty decent.

Panniers are a very personal choice. ABR did a full review of them and I think you can buy the digital edition on the website. You can spend very little and a kings ransom. How long does he want to keep them for? For example (I know you have a Tenere) I started off with the side opening BMW varios which drove me nuts but some others love them. You could also go soft luggage as well and Ortleib and Wolfman do some good stuff. You could buy off the shelf Givi, Touratech, Metal Mule, Hepco and I could keep going. Or you could go to guys like Vern, ArdCase and get some made bespoke. I went for Ard because the price was good value and Roger built a top box to fit my helmet and he was down the road. Horses for courses. Easier questions along the lines on whether Greece is going default is easier to answer.

Big enough for what?

I find the 68L of Vario's adequate for the two of us, but would prefer a bit more capacity (the 80 odd litres of a GSA sounds about perfect) but for solo use I could easily get away with the vario's in compressed format which is probably about the same as a couple of 21's.

42L to myself would be more than enough, currently I have the small pannier and she has the big one, misc crap goes in the top box (spare gloves / visor / jumper / ear plugs etc)

I also use Hotels, if camping I would probably need more space, but I guess of your solo this can all be bunged on the back of the bike.

If this is for the odd little trip to carry one persons gear and stopping in Hotels I guess it should be OK - and the price sounds pretty decent.

Thanks for the replys gents, as far as soft luggage goes hes got them and from wot i can tell they are a pain in the arse, he`s is intending to keep them and i agree with the side opening bm`s i had them and prefer the touratechs,i dont think he wants to pay more than £300 but maybe more for the the right ones?

cheers tarry (oh by the way, with greece its when, not whether:thumb):D

Back
Top Bottom