Some of the best roads opening soon

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have just heard from the Grossglockner company-owners of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and the Nockalmstrasse that they are planning to open early again this year. Dates are Friday 27th April for the Grossglockner and Saturday 28th for the Nockalmstrasse. These dates are,of course, subject to the weather but since we have had daytime temperatures of 20 C and over for weeks now it seems unlikely that there will be a delay.

I hope to be on the both roads for the opening days although my season ticket only runs from May 1st so I will have to pay!

John

That's a bit tough. You'd think a season ticket meant just that - a season ticket. Surely the season starts from the time that they decide to open the road and not from some pre-determined date.

Rules is rules!!

That's a bit tough. You'd think a season ticket meant just that - a season ticket. Surely the season starts from the time that they decide to open the road and not from some pre-determined date.

We are talking about Austrian rules here! We offer our guests the Nationalpark Hohe Tauern card, free use of these wonderful roads and much more, and as such we can buy a season card. The season cards are not available to the public-they can buy a Kärnten card but it's not such a good deal-only gives 2 Euro off the Grossglockner for instance. With the NP card you don't pay any of the 22 Euros charge. The rules say the cards are available from May 1st to the 3rd weekend in October and they are not about to change things just because summer comes early.

John

Hi John,

Thats great news, looking at booking two nights single room in early May.. Just need to sort out my route/days across from ferry to you.

If I book on the website does the pass for the Grosglockner happen automatically or do I need to drop you a seperate mail?

Cheers,
Jr :beerjug:

Hi John,

Thats great news, looking at booking two nights single room in early May.. Just need to sort out my route/days across from ferry to you.

If I book on the website does the pass for the Grosglockner happen automatically or do I need to drop you a seperate mail?

Cheers,
Jr :beerjug:

You get a National park card when you arrive, if you are staying two nights or more. If you want to use the Grossglockner on the way to us we can send you a voucher to avoid having to pay the 22 Euro toll. To issue a voucher you must be booked in with us and we would need your name as on your driving license and the bike reg number. We send the vouchers by Email for you to print out. At any time of the season the Grossglocker can be closed due to bad weather so always have a plan B. Check the weather on the day and choose your route according to the conditions.

Cold beer will be waiting, first one on the house!

John

John

Don't bother with the Nockalmstrasse... its all smooth and bendy :augie
IMG_0186-2.jpg

Cafe at the top is handy though...
IMG_0184.jpg

I'm sold!!! Will book up this weekend John. Cheers, talk soon. Jr

Im also going back for 4 nights on the 19th july,i rode this road at 8.30 am went from one toll booth to the other then thought i need to ride it again blast back again,only sore 4 cars in total,even the road from the Grey one`s up to it is a blinder!Enjoy:clap

Back
Top Bottom