F800 to 1200GS (LC)

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Would you consider changing from an F800GS to the new liquid cooled 1200 ?

Apart from more HP are there any other compelling reasons to part with a significant wedge to "Upgrade"

A good question.

They are very different bikes and imop at least two test rides are needed on the GS; the first test ride masks the reality as you spend time just getting familiar.

A couple of years ago I went on a tour to Slavakia and Poland and teamed up with two ex Police riders. All of us were on GS's.

A young guy on a F800GS tagged along one day when we were on a flowing but twisty fast road. The ex Police saw some Germans ahead and the pursuit was on. We were going for it, pretty fast, and despatched the Germans (I know, silly really, but fun) and the F800 more or less stayed with us.......I was amazed but looked at the bike with respect.

So with the GS you have a heavier more grunty bike that will do two up with ease.........test ride before you deside.......heavier bikes are different and need respect in some situations.

It's a bike. If you like, want and can afford it, buy it. How hard is that to figure out? Does it really need the advice of others? :blast

It's a bike. If you like, want and can afford it, buy it. How hard is that to figure out? Does it really need the advice of others? :blast

I test rode a 1200 and the 800GS and bought the 800 as it seemed the better bike for commuting and blood running. I also have a K1300S which is used for two up and longer distance journeys. Now my wife as expressed a desire to go on the 800, which I don't think will be man enough.

Hence my interest in seeing what other people's opinions are........

I test rode a 1200 and the 800GS and bought the 800 as it seemed the better bike for commuting and blood running. I also have a K1300S which is used for two up and longer distance journeys. Now my wife as expressed a desire to go on the 800, which I don't think will be man enough.

Hence my interest in seeing what other people's opinions are........

You have asked a perfect and reasonable question.

I think you have hit the nail on the head re two up.

You have asked a perfect and reasonable question.

Not really. Whether "we" would consider the change or not is pretty irrelevant.

Both are perfectly adequate 2up.
Whether the differences are worth it or not are purely down to personal preferences.
HIS personal preferences are all that counts.
If he wants to, change, if he doesn't, don't.
What more compelling reason is there?

Not really. Whether "we" would consider the change or not is pretty irrelevant.

Both are perfectly adequate 2up.
Whether the differences are worth it or not are purely down to personal preferences.
HIS personal preferences are all that counts.
If he wants to, change, if he doesn't, don't.
What more compelling reason is there?

Sureley asking the question on a forum dedicated to BMW and GS experienced riders is completely reasonable with the greatest of respect.

He is after info and advice and thought this was a good place for it:jibber

Sureley asking the question on a forum dedicated to BMW and GS experienced riders is completely reasonable with the greatest of respect.

He is after info and advice and thought this was a good place for it:jibber

Hence I gave my advice - make your own sodding mind up.

Get over it, there's a love.

I have a F650GS (twin), which is similar to the F800, and a R1200GS. I've ridden my friends F800GS a few times.
The F GS's feel much lighter and are great bikes. My F650GS feels about like a KLR 650, only with power but not as much weather protection. The R1200GS has much better wind protection with it's nicer windshield, tank shrouds, and cylinders. Nice not having to deal with a chain also. I like the Telelever front suspension on the R1200 better than the traditional forks on a F800 but others may not? The stock seat on the R1200 is pretty good the one on the F800/650 is horrible. There are options just be prepared. Center stand and hand guards may be options on the FGS too.
I found the F800 with it's 21" front wheel to be a bit more "twitchy" or less stable than the F650 (or 700), certainly less than a R1200GS at speed. On rutted dirt roads and worse either F bike is nicer than the heavier R1200GS.
Not sure of your price structure but in the US with a $4- $5,000 difference in price the F800GS may be the better value. Factor in a seat, center stand, hand protectors though. Overall, certainly on roads, the R1200GS is the better bike IMO. The new water cooled GS should be even better.

Back
Top Bottom