Tan Hill

Elle

Reaction score
About 12 of us rode up to Tan Hill on Sunday. On such a hot day with a long ride out, few of us wanted a cooked meal. I was looking forward to sampling another of their lovely sandwiches.
But the landlord said they'd "ran out of bread" & the only offerings were cooked meals or a few starters.
I asked if they'd do a bowl of chips & he reluctantly said Yes. The guy next to me asked for the same. At that point, the landlord turned to the other bar staff & said "they'll all want a bowl of chips now, none want a sunday lunch".
I was a bit taken aback. And as it turned out, only 3 of us had chips.

A while later, our food arrived. One of the women had ordered a starter of Pate but guess what came with it - BREAD!

Several folk didn't eat at all, 3 shared my chips. Put a sour note on what should have been a pleasant lunch stop.

So if you ride up on a Sunday, be prepared for a roast dinner! :beerjug:

I apply a simple 'one strike and you're out' rule

Have had plenty of run ins like this with eating establishments, needless to say they never see me ( or my money) again!

How the Landlord saw it... (might have saw it) :D

12 bikers arrive at my pub
They take 5 x's longer than other patrons to get to the bar
They take 24 seats (one for the bike gear)
They they buy 70% less drinks off which 50% are soft
They take up 80% of my bar (my revenue generation area)
They dither and place food orders that are down 60% on my average spend per patron yet take up 140% more staff time on ordering and serving
They do this on one of the few days when I get to have a full house and the opportunity to get my profit per punter up

I like bikers but I'm struggling to keep my business afloat so I appologies for being snappy -please come again :D

How the Landlord saw it... (might have saw it) :D

12 bikers arrive at my pub
They take 5 x's longer than other patrons to get to the bar
They take 24 seats (one for the bike gear)
They they buy 70% less drinks off which 50% are soft
They take up 80% of my bar (my revenue generation area)
They dither and place food orders that are down 60% on my average spend per patron yet take up 140% more staff time on ordering and serving
They do this on one of the few days when I get to have a full house and the opportunity to get my profit per punter up

I like bikers but I'm struggling to keep my business afloat so I appologies for being snappy -please come again :D

I think the complete opposite is true nowadays. 12 bikes = 12 middle aged punters with plenty of disposable income :thumby:

The Tan Hill Inn offers poor quality food at exhorbitant prices and seems to be cashing in on its location.

As JB says, there's plenty of good quality eating establishments in the Dales. Vote with your wallet!

I think the complete opposite is true nowadays. 12 bikes = 12 middle aged punters with plenty of disposable income :thumby:

The Tan Hill Inn offers poor quality food at exhorbitant prices and seems to be cashing in on its location.

As JB says, there's plenty of good quality eating establishments in the Dales. Vote with your wallet!

Totally agree, I have runnings with the land lady there before. She was collecting for charity, and if you were due any change, it went straight in the collection. It would have been nice to be asked first

We were there last Christmas, if its the same fella that was there before I think it fair to describe him as 'eccentric'.

We were there last Christmas, if its the same fella that was there before I think it fair to describe him as 'eccentric'.

Ive only been there once before - 20 + years ago

I seem to recall a nice drive to a rather bleak place - I think you would have to eccentric to live there.

How the Landlord saw it...
The pub was very quiet - perhaps this is why he was a bit miserable. Can't blame us if they cook too much Sunday dinner & no one turned up!

I apply a simple 'one strike and you're out' rule
I prefer a 'twice strike' rule - however, I don't always follow it - I keep going to Squires..... difficult not to when home is 15 minutes away and it's a central place to meet friends :blast

Were you in Hawes beforehand?
Sounds like us, I saw some RE's parked up amid the bikes :)

Was thinking of having a ride there soon. thanks for pointing this out. Spend my money elsewhere. :augie

Was thinking of having a ride there soon. thanks for pointing this out. Spend my money elsewhere. :augie
It's still a great ride up there :thumb

Keep riding onto Kirkby Stephen & drop into Takoda Camping - the owners Paul and Maria are lovely & have recently started doing all day breakfast butties for visitors as well as campers :thumby:
http://takodacamping.webs.com/

Originally Posted by iand46 .......
Was thinking of having a ride there soon. thanks for pointing this out. Spend my money elsewhere.

Used to be a lady who was great. Met this guy once before and thought he was rude to his clients .... If he is the new owner... he's going the right way to loose a lot of custom:comfort

It's still a great ride up there :thumb

Keep riding onto Kirkby Stephen & drop into Takoda Camping - the owners Paul and Maria are lovely & have recently started doing all day breakfast butties for visitors as well as campers :thumby:
http://takodacamping.webs.com/

Are Takoda doing a "coffee shop" stop for passing bikers? :D:beer:
Got visitors from "down south" this weekend and Devils Bridge is likely too be heaving with tee shirts and shorts riders :hide,

We were there just over a year ago and quite liked the food, BUT, the place is a bit run down and is apparently up for sale.

It sounds as though new money isn't the only requirement.

sheep

I went there a few years ago on a Sunday
Food wasn't up to much, then they let sheep roam around the dining room which proceeded to piss and shit all over the floor right beside me.
A little off putting while eating:nenau
Never been back there since.

What a miserable bunch. Can't take a bit of banter?

Best pub in the world. Try staying overnight.

"Plenty of disposable income"? Would that be 6 halfs of orange and soda and 6 bitter shandies?

If you want samey and normal go to a chain pub.

Me I prefer to book a room for the night, drink 12 pints of Old Peculier and devour a fine steak meal.

:friday

When you consider the profit margin on a pint (or even half) of coke/lemonade etc from the pump, you would think ANY landlord would rarther serve that than beer/ale/lager etc...

IIRC it costs 5-10p per PINT to make.

In case I didn't make myself clear: I love the place and if you get the idea of giving back what you get you'll have a great time.
It's not Moto Services. It's not a Harvester.
It happens to be a pub where a farmer and his family live.

In case I didn't make myself clear: I love the place and if you get the idea of giving back what you get you'll have a great time.
It's not Moto Services. It's not a Harvester.
It happens to be a pub where a farmer and his family live.

+1. Absolutely love the place. Fawlty Towers of the North some say. Far better than that. Great craic. Proper pub. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom