Should I change the oil and filter?

shready

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1100GS has been laid up in my garage for over 18 months.

Today I got it MOT'd, taxed and new tyres fitted. Now it last had a service in September 2011 and since then has covered just 713 miles.

I'm planning a week long trip to Europe in late September and wasn't planning to get it serviced but should I change the oil and filter or just the oil or leave well alone?

Yes :nod

.... and if you need to ask then you know you do ;)

:beerjug:

Oil is cheap insurance.

I'd change it and the filter and while I was at it, I'd lavish another tenner and ten minutes on an oil change for the gearbox and FD. ;)

I would do all of the oils after this much of a lay up - in fact I did do all of the oils and the brake fluid and it all sounded better for it :)

Oil is cheap insurance.

I'd change it and the filter and while I was at it, I'd lavish another tenner and ten minutes on an oil change for the gearbox and FD. ;)

Yep, I knew deep down:blast

Parts on order:thumby:

Can I use Castrol Manual EP 80W-90 API GL4 for the final drive and gearbox?

My Haynes manual states GL5.

Can I use Castrol Manual EP 80W-90 API GL4 for the final drive and gearbox?

My Haynes manual states GL5.

Definitely not - the oil must be GL5.

£10 from halfords

Thank yee:thumby:

This stuff?

Castrol Axle EPX 80W-90

If its GL5 then yes.

Opinions vary as to the weight the important thing its GL5 grade. See this (and many other!) threads :D

If in doubt go with the owners handbook :thumb

I put in gl4 by mistake. The gearbox is a lot more noisy and notchy than normal. I put gl5 in as soon as I realised and it stopped whining so much and was smoother to engage gear.

Tom

I put in gl4 by mistake. The gearbox is a lot more noisy and notchy than normal. I put gl5 in as soon as I realised and it stopped whining so much and was smoother to engage gear.

Tom

I doubt your findings.

The difference between GL4 and GL5 would only be apparent over long term use and makes absolutely no difference between smooth gear changes and whining.
GL5 oil contains more buffered sulfur and therefore are not corrosive to yellow metals. GL4 attacks some metals over long periods of time.

I once out GL4 in the gearbox by mistake. 1000 mile later the gearbox seized up locking the rear wheel. I don't know whether it was related but I always make sure I use GL5 now.

Yeah change the oils you tight wad!:)

I'd lavish another tenner and ten minutes on an oil change for the gearbox and FD. ;)

I've done the gearbox and FD oils, feel happier now:D

I assume a little bit of crud stuck to the sump bolt magnets is normal? it was only a little.

Engine filter kit has arrived but the oil is still in the post, job for tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom