Best price and general thoughts

Titto

Reaction score
How are you users of the nav 5 finding it? My experiences are with the zumo 550, nav 3 etc. I'm just wondering how the V compares. More than anything I'm after a brighter screen in the day.

On another note, what are the best prices you are getting the V for?

Many thanks

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

For the short period I had mine working (October to March) the 5 was much better that my previous 660.

Got it with the bike as a sweetener to buy before the new one came out

The Nav V has received broad positive reviews from around the world; see various posts and other websites.

At the moment the Nav V is only available from authorised dealerships. Get your haggling shoes on. Alternatively, wait for one to come up secondhand on UKGSer, I got lucky this way.

I came from the 550 to the Nav V. After over coming a few BMW..erks on how routing is done, ( See posts from Richard) I find it really good.

dxtans

I can't stand Garmin but I'm v. impressed with my Nav V.

Mine was either free or cost me around £15k depending on your viewpoint.
It came as an 'added extra' when I bought my bike last October.

Had a 550 had a Nav IV and now on a Nav V have to say its the best one yet the phone smartlink very good idea so easy to set up :thumb2

What are the benefits of the Smart link? I agree it's easy to set up but I can't see any use for it tbh.

How are you users of the nav 5 finding it? My experiences are with the zumo 550, nav 3 etc. I'm just wondering how the V compares. More than anything I'm after a brighter screen in the day.

On another note, what are the best prices you are getting the V for?

Many thanks

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about "Best Price", I have had one on order now for 6 weeks and the dealer tells me they are on back order from BMW!

What are the benefits of the Smart link? I agree it's easy to set up but I can't see any use for it tbh.

It's not immediately clear what the advantages are. But here are two, plucked out of thin air:

1. Favourites. Let's say you were out and about without your GPS device and came across an awesome cafe or breath taking wild flower pressing location. You can save it to the app and transfer it to your device later.

2. The device's Favourites download to the app. You can show an admiring posse in the pub where the awesome cafe in St Perdu du Lost is. Not least, if you have not backed up your device to a computer and / or it dies, you'll not lose all your Favourites.

I can probably dream up some more but I am not Garmin's sales manager.

Can anyone comment on the brightnes levels?

I have a 660 now. Is the 660 pretty much the same as the V ?

The 660 is unusable in sunlight, even indirect sunlight.

It's brighter. Or the colours / mapping more vivid and you can to some extent adjust them.

It will though still bleach out when riding north'ish with a bright sun beaming its death killer rays over your shoulder. Shift your body a bit to create a shadow and don't forget..... You don't ride along looking at the screen ALL the time!

I got a Nav V from the site as well, Much brighter, and all together more "intelligent" or "logical" with it's menu / submenu system. I like the Smartlink app for the reasons Mr Wapping stated. Using it in conjunction with my Xperia Z1 smartphone, which is waterproof itself so is mounted on the GSA Screen support, means that should I want to find anything or bookmark anything or indeed transfer it to the garmin it's just a click away. The Xperia also has a "Glove" mode function, so I don't need to remove the gloves to do any of this. That said, I suppose it's a bit gimmicky, but I get some use from it.

Edit :)
The Curvy route option has worked reasonably well, was good when I was working in Malvern a couple of weeks ago and went out for a couple of evening rides after work. Just found somewhere that looked interesting on google maps, transfered it to the garmin and took the "curvy" option.

You don't ride along looking at the screen ALL the time!

Exactly, that's why it needs to be instantly readable at a glance. Don't want to have to cup my hand over the top, move my body around, wait for a cloud, etc.

The 660 is pretty much useless when it's bright outside.

Any one have any info on pricing - any deals out there? Or is demand too high, backordered as it seems to be.

Just come back from spain and france using the Nav V for the first time. Previous was a 550. It recalculated the route fast when I went wrong. I didnt find the screen that much better in sunlight. And when I put in the curvy roads option I ended up on a dual carriageway which had been built using a 56 kilometre length of string line!

Exactly, that's why it needs to be instantly readable at a glance. Don't want to have to cup my hand over the top, move my body around, wait for a cloud, etc.

The 660 is pretty much useless when it's bright outside.

I had the 550, then a 660, now a V..
The 550 colours were great...
The 660 seemed 'washed out in sunlight'
The V is much better in sunlight, also the resolution & small street names are readable, (& I usually need reading glasses) it also self adjusts the brightness pretty accurately, I assume taken from the direct wiring on my TE model to the ambient light sensor for the instrument cluster...

Back
Top Bottom