r100gs front brake improvement

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After trying a four pot off the 1100 and finding the improvement was very little and looking into the front brake a bit more i recon a over size floating disk (320mm) is the best way forward...You could leave the original caliper or put a 4 pot on...I recon the 2 pot will be fine with the bigger disk...I am going to get a disk made and a adapter to relocate the caliper ..I am going to work a price out for the conversion... Is there anybody else out there who might be interested in a conversion kit..If there is enough interest i will get a few kits made up to reduce the price...I will be posting pics of the conversion as soon as i have made and tested the first kit out

agree with you re: 4 pot + i'm seriously considering the big disc option next.

there is a nice 320mm disc conversion already available in germany at about 150 quid IIRC, it has been posted on these forums in the past year but may now be deleted.

i must seek it out.

I remember

a kit by Brembo at either Wudo or wunderlich - check them out
miky

I have looked for a kit and i recon on just under £150 to make one
I can't find a decent kit for that price...The floating disk kit from MAP Engineering is going to cost nearly £250 by the time you get it to the UK...If anyone knows where you can get one from for less than £150 please let me know...Otherwise i am going to make a kit up and post the pics

After trying things in this order on my gspd:-
1 Goodrich braided hose
2 EBC HH pads
3 16v four pot Brembo with EBC HH pads
4 EBC floating disk (of standard size 285mm?)
I came to the conclusion that the only thing that made any real differance was the floating disk, think you can get them for about £150. The 4 pot Brembo may work better with a smaller master cylinder, but not looked into that, yet.

Regds Trevor Downing

Yes I recon the floating disk is what makes a big difference...Had a r100gs with a solid disk and the brakes are not as good as my r100gspd with a floating disk although the caliper looks the same....Thats why i recon going up to 320mm will make a big difference

Billet front caliper

I really found that fitting a Billet mini 6 pot caliper transformed the braking on mine, it stops on a sixpence. They have them on the shelf, just a goodrich hose which they will supply is all you need to bring it to a halt..............but it aint cheap, but good fixes rarely are !! :beer:

Six pot is anoter route but far to expensive for the caliper and the price of the pads are a joke+try getting them in some exhotic location !

Garry Holloway said:
Six pot is anoter route but far to expensive for the caliper and the price of the pads are a joke+try getting them in some exhotic location !

spot on.

what's with the floating disc mod? disc floats as standard on mine & it's rubbish.

is the one you mention made of something different?

Hi cookie what years yours ?...Mines a 93 ...The first r100gs i had was a 88 and had a solid disk...The caliper looks the same on this one but the disk is a floater and it's a lot better than the 88..Metal type will make quite a difference but it's the extra diameter that should make a big improvement

Mines a 93 and I'm impressed with the front brake, it's no where near as bad as I was expecting...Floating disk and dunlop sintered pads. Could just be that it's an R80 though so doesn't travel fast enough to be dangerous :D

I'm looking at fitting a Siebenrock conversion so will definatly need some extra braking. Put me down for one if it's round the £150 mark.

...am also interested in upgrading the front brake and will be interested:D

You can find info on this mod, at www. horizons unlimited.com.
Check the bmw tech forum.

Attachments

• photos 425.jpg
    photos 425.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,706
I have 320mm kit in my `88 Gs. With steel braided hose and new sealings in both cylinders it makes an great effect! Kit is from www.he-motorradtechnik.de/bremsanlagen

OT:
the company makes quite good looking wheel sets to supermotos. Also 16mm radial main cylinder would be nice...

renderimage.php

that's the one i've seen. very nice, i wonder if you can fit the 4-pot to it?

cookie said:
that's the one i've seen. very nice, i wonder if you can fit the 4-pot to it?

I think it could be done, fixing points are the same... Spokes go quite near, that is only problem wich there could be. But four plot caliper might be slimmer than that two pot?

Twin disc using Brembo 4 Pot Calipers a R100R 15mm Master Cyl
modified Right hand Fork Slider on Left Leg and machind hub to centre disc in Caliper, a lot of work but good improvement.
My next project is to fit R100R forks and front wheel to make a supermoto
Regards
Colin:D

Attachments

• twindisc.jpg
    twindisc.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2,494

Back
Top Bottom