590 Glitches

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm away at the mo and using 590 for first time. It's been great except for one glitch-if I look for nearest petrol station then try add it to route the 590 had a fit and turns off !!
I've got ' recalc route' set to ' prompted' .
Anybody else had this issue ?
Apart from that I much prefer it to the 660

Sent from my iPhone using Tosserbollockery

I don't have a 590 but logically it should be able to cope.

You don't say how you are adding the fuel station to the route you are running but the owner's manual says:

Adding a Point to a Route

Before you can add a point, you must be navigating a route.

1 From the map, select > Where To?.
2 Search for a location.
3 Select a location.
4 SelectGo!.
5 Select Add to Active Route.

Can you confirm this is the way you are doing it, please.

The manual can be found here: http://www.activegps.co.uk/user-manuals/garmin-zumo-590lm-manual.pdf page 9 of 22

On the same page, the manual says that the 590 has an 'Up ahead' function. Have you tried selecting a fuel station and adding it to a route that way?

Failing all / any of the above, here's a suggested workaround:

Find the fuel station you want to ride to.

Save it as a favourite.

Stop the route you are running.

Select 'Where to' and then favourites.

The fuel station, assuming it is close to you, should be at or near the top of the list.

Select 'Go to' the device will create you a route to the fuel station based on your routing preferences; if you have it send to windy roads, avoiding motorways and you really want to get there fast, you'll probably be very annoyed at the device's stupidity. It's not its fault!

Ride to the fuel station and fill up. Then restart your route from that point. Take care though as, depending on how you set your route up (and maybe depending on your pre-set preferences and if you have any specific waypoints in it) the device might alter your route. Check before riding off. If it has, do not panic. Stop the route. Select it again but do not run it. Simply navigate to the magenta line, using the device as a virtual paper map. It may well not scroll, so you'll need to drag the map around and / or zoom in and out as you ride. When you hit the magenta line, start and run the route as normal, just checking that you are facing in the right direction!

PS One thought or guess. If the route you are running has lots of waypoints (points you have told the device you MUST go through) in it and you then add in a fuel station as another waypoint and / or if you are already some way off your route, the device might well be struggling to plot you something, particularly if the fuel station you have chosen is behind you.

Can't recall the device switching off when I've done this although it has completely ignored the rest of the route and took me another way.
I used the up ahead function when looking for fuel. The set might need a software update?

590 Glitch

Thanks guys, especially Wapping.
I use the up ahead function. It shows fuel stations , restaurants etc . If I click on the fuel station icon it then brings up a list of the nearest. If I then click on nearest and ' add to active route' then the 590 has a fit and shuts down, though it did work once today when I tried it. If I don't select ' add to active route' but select ' start new route' then that seems to work' .

Don't know why there's the glitch . It's not a big issue, just annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tosserbollockery

If I had to guess it's something to do with the way the original route is created.

What happens if you ask it to amend a route to include home?

Mine has this problem :(

When navigating if I use 'where to?' to locate petrol stations, choose one and then add to active route - it shakes a 7 and turns off. Weird.

Mine has this problem :(

When navigating if I use 'where to?' to locate petrol stations, choose one and then add to active route - it shakes a 7 and turns off. Weird.

Exactly the same issue with mine... plus it seemed to develop a mind of its own.... turning speed alerts on, going to 40% brightness, telling me the battery was flat 2 minutes after unplugging it.

Chat with Garmin... returned for a new one.

An odd one.

I am with a chum, hooning our awesome steeds around the Eiffel.

He and I have a pre-planned route A to B of about 160 miles installed in our devices; mine in a Nav V, his in a 590. He and I can select the route, preview it in the map screen (a magenta line A to B, with the little blue shaping points inbetween) perfectly.

I can push GO and the route will display and run perfectly.

He pushes GO and the route vanishes completely. It will still be shown in the list of the day's routes, so he can select it again and preview it again. But, no matter what, each time he pushes GO it vanishes.

It is only this one route that creates the problem, all the other 10 pre-planned routes appear to work just fine.

His wife's 590 works the same route perfectly.

Very odd.

PS Before the OP gets his knickers in a twist and pushes his trolley into the bod sitting in seat 27 B of today's flight to Alicante, I've changed the title to read 'glitches'. :beerjug:

Wapping i take it all the other routes that do not disappear were made the same way and with the same software, and nothing to do with route length. the other problems that this (The 590) seems to be suffering from could well be just software, has anyone who has returned one, come back with the same issue or was it fixed, and more to the point was it a new unit.

Yes same problem, as soon as I add an unscheduled petrol stop its shuts down!

Its never happened to me before on any of my routes so must be software/update related!

Also now seem to have battery issues! Works on the bike and then when stopped riding for the evening, even though switched off properly, will have lost any loaded routes by the morning!

Wapping i take it all the other routes that do not disappear were made the same way and with the same software, and nothing to do with route length. the other problems that this (The 590) seems to be suffering from could well be just software, has anyone who has returned one, come back with the same issue or was it fixed, and more to the point was it a new unit.

All the routes were created by me, in the same way, on a Mac using BaseCamp. It was by no means the longest route.

His wife's 590 ran it (and all the other routes) without a problem, as did my Nav V.

The really odd things were:

1. The route was clearly listed in Trip Planner

2. The route could be displayed on the device in all its magenta glory. The mileage was right, the estimated time to ride it was correct, all the shaping points were there.

3. As soon as you hit GO to run the route, it vanished completely from the screen; the device just showing its map screen and the position cursor.

4. If you then returned to Trip Planner, the route was still there. Repeat 1, 2 and 3 as often as you like.

The only thing we didn't try was to delete the route from Trip Planner and re-import it. I should have done. The bizarre thing is how the device could and would display the route every time but then simply refuse point blank to run it, reverting instead to just the map screen each time. Had he been on his own (or without a spare device) my chum wouid have been stuffed.... Unless re-importing it might have fixed it?????

We are going to speak to Garmin on our return, hopefully giving them the device and the route to see if they can work out what happened and why. I sure as hell can't.

Back
Top Bottom