Is there an alternative to the BMW Navigator V?

Flashman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am picking up my S1000XR Sport SE next week and it comes with the GPS cradle fitted. Is there a lower cost option GPS unit available that will fit in this cradle? I have heard rumour that the Garmin Zümo 660 will fit but does anyone on this forum have one fitted and if so, does it work ok? It is just that there are a few higher priority extras that I wish to buy for my new steed and cannot justify the outlay on a BMW Navigator V at this time. Thanks.

Why not see if anyone's got 1 for sale second-hand? The sat nav itself isn't that good IMO-last month when detouring round the M62/M60 because the M6 was closed at Warrington it kept trying to get me to do a U turn back to the M6. However the lane selection on motorway intersections etc is very useful. The additional function of the various readouts from the bike is very useful especially as the Gs's speedo is so shoite to read for us old 'uns in the camera partnership hunting grounds of 30 and 40 limits

Zumo 660 or BMW Navigator IV should fit the cradle and be powered by it. That will give you the usual GPS functions, audio via Bluetooth to your helmet and act as a hub for phone calls.

Zumo 660 or BMW Navigator IV should fit the cradle and be powered by it. That will give you the usual GPS functions, audio via Bluetooth to you helmet and act as a hub for phone calls.

Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated.

I had a 660 on my GS. When I chopped that in for the XR Sport SE I simply transferred the 660 onto the XR. Fits and works fine, as it did on the GS no problem.

I do wonder what i'm missing by not having a Nav V but i'm not bothered enough to cough up the spondolicks to buy one.

Just installed a zumo 590lm. Man of man is an upgrade on my nuvi765 which was similar to the 660. Loving it. Would not have believed I needed all the new bling etc but actually once tried I love it. There is a massive difference

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

OK, I'll try. I am super impressed with mine so far. Granted it costs a lot of money (well for me it does) so I really wanted a better sat nav than my Nuvi 765T. I looked at the 390 but it didn't have MP3 ability so that was discarded.
590 is still supported and manufactured by garmin. 660 are no longer in production but are still supported but that will end soon according to the tech I spoke to at Garmin. Not sure how he knows but he was quite certain.
Memory is big on the 590 and I can add a SD card if I want. No need yet.
Hardware is well sorted and the software updates/app development around these devices is now filtering through to the GPS devices. Just looking through the problems early adopters were moaning about, it is clear Garmin have listened and implemented the improved features and changes afterwards. So in essence, enough memory and CPU to make this future proof for a while. Many apps can be changed or added to these units from now on makes it a better device than the 660/765 nuvi range already. It feels like a smart phone versus a good old Nokia 7110 slide out WAP enabled device from the 90s
Screen scrolling is super smooth and easy.
Links to your mobile phone and gives live traffic updates –free for now. Can be set to suggest an alternative or to just take alternative if it will save significant time (I think it’s in the region of 5 minutes) which as you know is actually quite a lot of time to try and make up on a bike.
It comes attached with a USB power cable on the loom which allows you to charge devices from the Zumo (for those that haven't the power already installed).
Its super fast to start up and recalculate
curvy routes functions - and how curvy or not you want it to be
trac back feature allows reversing a route
you can select a place and ask the device to plot a round course to it.
you can select an area you want to explore on the map and it will calculate a route for you based on time or distance
or select a time / distance and it will suggest rides for you based on curvy routes settings etc
I can stream music from my phone to my zumo and hear it in my helmet via an autocomm lead
lane guidance is great
screen is clear for me so far without need for sun shade and in rain
you can select points on a map and avoid that area only. You just select 4 different interchanges to form a rectangle around said area and then it excludes that area from your routing. Great if you want to avoid say Birmingham….
I am sure there loads more I have yet to mention, but the Garmin blurb on their site doesn’t half explain what you can do with this bad boy. Have a look at the you tube collection from GPS City. They have 31 videos …some great features https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvaHV4hle1StXLUPchCUzXfItSvtxJnIr
I am very happy with mine
You can add or remove layers of POI to be seen on the screen when riding or not, so I can select just fuel to be displayed or fuel and restaurants etc
So I am glad I paid the money now …!

Zumo 660

The Zumo 660 is a good device AFAIC... I used it to navigate across Europe, Balkans, Baltics, Russia, Mongolia & Siberia on my F800GS without any issues whatsoever and later on my GTR1400. It's really easy to install open source mapping too. I occasionally did find connecting BT devices to be bit of a hassle but once connected it was fine. I also found the automatic re-routing to be fairly good. I sold mine with the GTR1400 and I now have the Nav5 because I got a 2014 R1200 GSA TE and wanted to use the handlebar donut, which is not compatible with the Zumo 660. Garmin aftercare is pretty good too, if your device stops working they'll usually offer you a refurbished 'mint' replacement, which I did when it stopped working after I dropped it. That's not to say they're prone to breaking, I actually dropped mine loads without any damage but the last time killed it. If you're on a budget get the Zumo 660, you can get one for about £200, but if you can afford more get a Nav5, I got mine used but in mint condition for £475. :thumb2

OK, I'll try. I am super impressed with mine so far. Granted it costs a lot of money (well for me it does) so I really wanted a better sat nav than my Nuvi 765T. I looked at the 390 but it didn't have MP3 ability so that was discarded.
590 is still supported and manufactured by garmin. 660 are no longer in production but are still supported but that will end soon according to the tech I spoke to at Garmin. Not sure how he knows but he was quite certain.
Memory is big on the 590 and I can add a SD card if I want. No need yet.
Hardware is well sorted and the software updates/app development around these devices is now filtering through to the GPS devices. Just looking through the problems early adopters were moaning about, it is clear Garmin have listened and implemented the improved features and changes afterwards. So in essence, enough memory and CPU to make this future proof for a while. Many apps can be changed or added to these units from now on makes it a better device than the 660/765 nuvi range already. It feels like a smart phone versus a good old Nokia 7110 slide out WAP enabled device from the 90s
Screen scrolling is super smooth and easy.
Links to your mobile phone and gives live traffic updates –free for now. Can be set to suggest an alternative or to just take alternative if it will save significant time (I think it’s in the region of 5 minutes) which as you know is actually quite a lot of time to try and make up on a bike.
It comes attached with a USB power cable on the loom which allows you to charge devices from the Zumo (for those that haven't the power already installed).
Its super fast to start up and recalculate
curvy routes functions - and how curvy or not you want it to be
trac back feature allows reversing a route
you can select a place and ask the device to plot a round course to it.
you can select an area you want to explore on the map and it will calculate a route for you based on time or distance
or select a time / distance and it will suggest rides for you based on curvy routes settings etc
I can stream music from my phone to my zumo and hear it in my helmet via an autocomm lead
lane guidance is great
screen is clear for me so far without need for sun shade and in rain
you can select points on a map and avoid that area only. You just select 4 different interchanges to form a rectangle around said area and then it excludes that area from your routing. Great if you want to avoid say Birmingham….
I am sure there loads more I have yet to mention, but the Garmin blurb on their site doesn’t half explain what you can do with this bad boy. Have a look at the you tube collection from GPS City. They have 31 videos …some great features https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvaHV4hle1StXLUPchCUzXfItSvtxJnIr
I am very happy with mine
You can add or remove layers of POI to be seen on the screen when riding or not, so I can select just fuel to be displayed or fuel and restaurants etc
So I am glad I paid the money now …!

Many thanks

Zumo 660 or BMW Navigator IV should fit the cradle and be powered by it. That will give you the usual GPS functions, audio via Bluetooth to your helmet and act as a hub for phone calls.

The Zumo 660 does not fit iirc.

The Zumo 660 does not fit iirc.

660 does fit the WC's GPS mount. As does the Nav IV and the NAV V. The 390 and 590 do not. I know because that's what I have (590).

The BMW wonder wheel does not work with the 660/590/390. It does work with the Nav V..................... I don't know if it works with the Nav IV though.

The wheel works with Nav 4.

Nav 5 is brilliant, being able to hit a petrol station button or restaurant button is great when touring.

My 660 fits in the nav cradle of my month old GSA. However, the wheel on the left handlebar does nothing.

Back
Top Bottom