1150gs tensioner

T900

Reaction score
does anybody know where i can get the modified cam chain tensioner for the left side,
the part no is 11312325563
i am told its not available any more without an explanation from the dealers, the only one available is the old spring and plunger job that rattles on start up and overun, i am using castrol GPS oil,
should i use heavier oil.
:confused:

You posted this on the Adv.Rider site last week, I offered to get you one but you never replied?

Try North Oxford BMW on 01865-319000

I think the numbers correct, if not, they advertise in MCN.

i only found this site today after i sent you a pm on advrider
thanks for the ph no i will call them tomorrow,

From info on the ADV board,I tried to order one from Chicago BMW site. All went well until later, I got an email saying they don't ship overseas (to Dublin) and they were cancelling the order. Pity, price looked good, <$200
Maddocks quoted Euoro180 or so, but said they would not know if it was a new type or not until it came because the pt no. was unchanged.
Still thinking,
Yours,
Confused of Al Kharj

I bought the new type tensioner from Motorrad Central in Glasgow.

£100.43 +vat.

Bought in April this year.

As far as I know it is the older type of tensioner that you cannot buy any more and that if you buy one it will be of the updated design.

Top one is old style and bottom one is new improved with enclosed spring and one way valve.
Works a treat.

Attachments

• tensionerssm.jpg
    tensionerssm.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 361
Update:

Phoned a couple of UK dealers, the complete uprated l/h tensioner kit is no longer available on the old part number as a one piece swap.

Instead, there are three separate components, each with their own part number:

11 31 1 340 741 - Piston - £6.60

11 31 1 341 015 - Spring - £0.29

11 31 7 671 723 - Cylinder - £17.20

Prices include VAT @ 17.5%

By the look of it, they've ditched the expensive complete replacement part & are now only supplying the internal components to fit in to the existing threaded tensioner body.

Pro: Considerably cheaper.

Con: Using the old body means you're stuck with the larger oil drain hole. Not sure how much effect this alone has on noise reduction? I've always thought that the new heavier duty spring had more of an impact overall?

Spoke to one dealer this morning in the north of England who said he'd been unable to get the expensive complete tensioner kit for 2-3 months.

Hope this clarifies things a little.

Steve Pickford said:
By the look of it, they've ditched the expensive complete replacement part & are now only supplying the internal components to fit in to the existing threaded tensioner body.
11 31 7 671 723 - Cylinder - £17.20
"tensioner body" = "cylinder" and it appears to be redesigned to work with the standard piston and spring. Did you notice that the spring and piston are the standard ones but the number for the cylinder is new? The standard cylinder, still shown on microfiches as 11 31 1 341 137, is marked "ENDED". This must mean that the LCCT cylinder/body has been redesigned. If anybody buys the newly marked cylinder, please take some measurements! Did the fill hole change? Is there a different volume inside the cylinder? Does the cylinder have a deeper skirt?

Reply from Maddocks, Fassaroe, near Dublin:

11 31 1 340 741 - Piston € 10.00 – available 2 – 3 days
11 31 1 341 015 - Spring € 1.00 – available 2-3 days
11 31 7 671 723 – Cylinder € 25.50 – available 2- 3days

I have ordered a set, let's see how it works out!

Please have a measuring caliper ready to compare the cylinders!

Hi Carlos,
I won't be at home until 7/6 and probalby a week later before I take the thing out. Will post then, if it helps. For the money, I will try it, and imho, the oil bleed hole dia will not make any difference, within reason- I am sure the oil pump can make up for any small flow changes there. A bigger hole might give slightly cooler oil in this area with more viscosity, but I am guessing.

Bin Ridin said:
imho, the oil bleed hole dia will not make any difference
You are right: a year ago I was going nuts with the engine noises and I did lots of experimenting. Among other things, I tried drilling a larger hole on the body of the LCCT, but that did not help. I was tempted to reduce the cross-section of the oil bleed along the piston, but I could not find a way to do it before I found that there was an enhanced LCCT.

I can only think of 2 design changes that could possibly improve the tensioner in a way to work with the standard piston and spring:
1) longer cylinder to reduce oil bleed
2) thicker cylinder cap, to reduce piston travel, increase spring preload, and reduce the volume of the cavity.

You'll be the first to find out!

tensioner

when you order the parts seperatly you get the old type spring and plunger job,
the only difference is the cap/cylinder is three mm shorter and the hex head is a 15mm instead of 17mm, all other dimensions are the same,
when the dealers order part no 11312325563, it comes back as no longer available and to order the parts seperatly leading them to think they are getting the revised tensioner,
i know cos this is what happed to me, so i fitted the tensioner after the parts came in seperatly at a cost of 31euro,
guess what ITS WORSE THAN THE OLD ONE, it rattles on every start up, so i put the old one back,
checked a few dealers in uk and they cant get the new one,
you cant get it from the states cos they dont ship over seas,
bmw tech department are gobshites cos they will not give any answers and plead that they are not aware of this problem.
i work for a car dealership in ireland and i can ring our tech dept
with any query and they will investigate and come back with some sort of answer,
bmw will not reply to any mails i have sent, i think this very poor customer service.:mad:

Re: tensioner

T900 said:
the only difference is the cap/cylinder is three mm shorter and the hex head is a 15mm instead of 17mm
Shorter??! Why would they do that?
T900 said:

bmw will not reply to any mails i have sent, i think this very poor customer service.
Amazing! What's the matter with this company? Do they think that we are idiots? I can almost hear it: "Was ist loos mit den Anglo-Saxonen dumkopfen? Unzere produkt ist perfekt!!"

Just collected a new LH tensioner from a BMW car dealer. Looked at their microfiche
Part nos have changed as have prices

Cylinder 11 31 7 688 629 costs £13.28
Piston 11 31 7 656 922 costs £19.75

There is now no spring - you only need a spring for the right hand side

The sealing ring is part no 11 9 963 308 and costs £0.12p

I will be fitting it next week so will let you know if any problems

Can Confirm Wildbeeste Info Correct

Hi guys,
I ordered the parts for new type in October 2005 from John Clark, Dundee,
Part numbers and prices are as Wildbeeste listed above :thumb - 3 parts, including vat, = £38.25. :clap
Ken Rodkiss - don't know what you got from Motorrad Central :nenau - seems expensive?, I believe at one time there was a kit which was very expensive, but this was withdrawn and replaced by above three parts - it's brilliant - works a treat.

Cheers....................Grizzly :beer:

Just fitted the new parts 35 minutes start to finish and that included five minutes looking for the keys and five minutes looking for a large paper clip. :clap
Put lap top on bench and followed pictures from another site

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69360&highlight=tensioner

Also recommend buying Throttle body O ring part number 13541341797 it will cost pennies
I did not have one but managed to get the old one on after a struggle - they stretch and do not fit and seal so well as a new one.
Did it work?
Of course it did....... :thumb
It is so quiet now compared to what it was. :bounce1 :bounce1
Off for a celebratory drink to congratulate myself :beer:

cam chain tensioner

If you are struggling to get the correct parts from a bmw dealer try Motorworks. I bought the following uprated parts from them on the 23 Oct 06 ( Motorworks part no. first)
AAA00023679 11317688629 Tensioner £17.16
AAA00023681 11317656922 Piston £25.53
ENA63308 Cam chain tensioner crush washer £0.16
PLUS P.P It has stopped the noise completely both on start up and running. The major differences are:- 15mm. head on the tensioner body and the body is shorter, the hole allows oil to be pumped in from an oilway. The piston now has the spring contained internally and the major difference to the way it operates is that the slot in the side of the piston has been deleted so that the oil does not drain out when the engine is off and will not bleed off so easily with the engine running. The spring tension feels? different,but my old one has done 55,000k. fwiw I am running on Motul 10/40 semi syn.Hope this is helpful

Changed mine in September, just back on the bike here, wonderfully quiet.

Back
Top Bottom