Bought My 2610-Need accessory advice

Airfan

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a 2610 from Amazon for the bargain price of £525 delivered next day. (in about 6 weeks time).

I know that they come with enough bits for the car, but what do I need for the bike, beyond a cradle. I'd like to hear the voice instructions, what's the best option.....speaker or earpiece (I don't have any intercomm system). What power lead should I use?. I can either hardwire it or use the BMW power socket.

I'm probably going to go for the Migsel clock mounted bracket, unless anyone can suggest better.

Cheers

Rob

Budget 2610 Implementation

1100gsfan said:
Hi, I've just bought a 2610 from Amazon for the bargain price of £525 delivered next day. (in about 6 weeks time).
Rob

Well, I'll tell you what I have done:

1) RAM Mount and RAM Cradle as-per pictures at http://www.crypticide.com/users/alecm/albums/2005-ram-mount/ - the foam padding is a dissected mousemat.

2) Audio: One of these plugged into one of these - total cost, 4 quid, stick some selfadhesive velcro to the back of the speaker, then tuck into clothing/helmet.

3) Garmin Bike power+audio cable, wired into a watertight choc-bloc box, then to a homemade BMW power cable, into an accessory socket.

The 4-quid audio solution will no doubt be contentious, but I know myself well enough that - for most riding except occasionally in urban areas - I won't need the voice circuit, so I saw no reason to blow money on a autocom system; at low speed you can hear it over the engine noise in a tankbag, if you set it to chime/alert and max volume.

I intend to hack-open the maplin pillow-speaker and uprate the cabling, make it more petite, but as-is I can slip it under the chinguard of my Tour-X helmet.

An alternative for #2 is one of these plugged into the 3.5-2.5mm adapter. Works with earplugs but make sure the volume is down to 2-3!!

Makes it a 6 quid solution but no fitting required.

metro said:
An alternative for #2 is one of these plugged into the 3.5-2.5mm adapter.

I looked at those, but was wondering how well it'd work (a) through an earplug and (b) putting the helmet on whilst wearing it.

I'd be interested in your experiences...

I use some Sony in ear headphones which also act as ear plugs to a certain degree. When not using GPS or when voice is not required i use the same with my iPod. they are comfortable and have had no problems. Cost about 30 quid.

Lunsarboy

As I don't have a pillion yabbering away on the back I don't need an Autocom or similar. So it's a pair of custom moulded ear-plugs with speakers in for me and they work a treat.
Some earplug speakers are definately better than others though and a bad choice can be a costly mistake.
I'm using a Touratech locking mount which probably would only delay a potential thief for a nanosecond or two but I like it and think it looks kinda funky.

alecmuffett said:
I looked at those, but was wondering how well it'd work (a) through an earplug and (b) putting the helmet on whilst wearing it.

I'd be interested in your experiences...

Works fine with earplugs, at 70+ with eaplugs can hear fine at a low volume setting. I suppose the speaker is in just the right place. Have no probs getting the helmet on, the speaker hooks over your ear.

Anyone who has done DAS/bike test will have had to use something very similar, if not identical.

Back
Top Bottom