Is the BMW navigator and the Streetpilot 3 casing the same ?

cecilthecat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

A friend of mine is looking to buy a Streetpilot III for his R1150RT, but it looks as if touratech don't do a mounting kit for it.

Does anyone know whether it will fit into the BMW Navigator mount as the units look the same, but I'm sure that I read that there may be some slight physical dimension changes to the back case to prevent this ?

If not does anyone know where to get a mount that will enable fitting of the Streetpilot III to an R1150RT ?

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

has he rung Bracken and asked if Touratech do a mount? My mate got a mount for his R1100S from them - it wasn't in the catalogue.....

MikeO:)

cecilthecat said:
Hi A friend of mine is looking to buy a Streetpilot III for his R1150RT, but it looks as if touratech don't do a mounting kit for it.

They do two mounts for the SP III :-

H/bar mount 065-0039
OR
Lockable 065-0056

Personally I went for the RAM mount which is more rubberised........ooo eeeeerrrrr mrs. Gives more shock absorbancy.
Also RAM gives more options as to where to mount it on the bike.

I've just bought the Touratech lockable mount (direct from Touratech AG in Germany - arrived two days after e-mail order - cheaper than buying from Bracken, although not much 'cause the Euro's pretty strong).

The lockable idea seems sensible but it's fairly basic and wouldn't deter a thief with a screwdriver for longer than about 5 seconds. Also, I've played around with the positioning of the bracket and unit and it's impossible to fix it anywhere on the handlebar cross-brace without obscuring your vision of something or other. The Ram mount with the extension arm at least allows you to position the unit away from obscuring the warning lights and clocks.

I like the look and quality of the Touratech unit, but it's a big price to pay for something that's not perfect.

Simon

I also have the problem with not being able to see the idiot lights with the GPS installed and think that it would be fairly simple to tap into the loom for the dash and feed this to a small box (about the size of a matchbox), which would have 3 LED's to replicate the red,orange and green lights.

You could then mount/ velcro this box to the side of the speedo, where it can be seen, and if one of the dash lights comes on then the relevant coloured LED would be lit.

I think that the main problem with this is making a nice and tidy connection to the loom.

Simon

I am supprised that CitySlicker has not designed a HUD type thing so that when you have your GPS fitted all the idiot lights are reflected on the screen.

:)

Back
Top Bottom