RAM mount security..

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
I was just contemplating making a little lockable sleeve to go over the RAM arm so I can leave my GPS on long enough to pay for petrol..

then I thought this is too obvious - someone must already make something like this and sure enough there's this one but I can't find anything similar available in the UK.

Does anyone know where I can get something like it?

thought you had just hung your coat over it to take that pic lol#

schiannini said:
I was just contemplating making a little lockable sleeve to go over the RAM arm so I can leave my GPS on long enough to pay for petrol.

Schiannini:

The easiest, cheapest, and most effective way of increasing security of the RAM-Mount extension arm is to remove the large bolt that has the plastic thumb-turn on the end of it, and replace it with a bolt of identical size that uses (for example) an Allen key head or a conventional 6 sided (socket wrench) head. This is what I do when I hit the road for long trips.

Just totally unscrew the big thumb-turn fastener, then take it to any large automotive shop or agricultural supply house and find an identical length bolt with a 'normal' head on it. Cost will be about 20 pence - maybe as much as 30 pence if you buy a stainless steel bolt.

FYI, RAM uses standard bolts and just molds the plastic thumb-turn fastener around the end of a standard bolt. So, what you are doing, in effect, is getting rid of the plastic thumb-turn.

Michael

How can you secure the GPS unit in the RAM cradle for short periods?
G

Garry Matson said:

I don't know how other cradle manufacturers make provisions to secure the GPSR in the cradle. Touratech encases the GPSR in a maximum security prison, and the Garmin mount for the 2xxx series GPSRs provides a small security screw that 'keeps honest people honest' (meaning, it prevents casual removal of the GPSR, though it doesn't protect against a determined thief).

Michael

Garry Matson said:
G

yea, a lockable Touratech bracket is the only way to go for a quest anyway... someone before has mentioned that the 2610 Touratech mount blocks the inbuilt antenna slightly... but i don't know that for sure :)

30p solution - :thumb

securing the GPS unit in the cradle :yikes I hadn't thought that all the way through had I? :rolleyes:

I also have a 2610 Touratech mount but I really like the position of the GPS when RAM mounted so am trying to see if I can make the RAM configuration work for me. If it fails I'll stick the bear trap back on the bars and never see my fuel gague again...

Back
Top Bottom