2720 plus what extras?

njbhorn

Reaction score
Hi GSers,

I'm thinking of buying a 2720 and want to be able to use it on my GS and in a car, so when I fill my basket what else do I need to purchase apart from the unit itself?

I obviously need the bike mount and a power lead?

i.e. Garmin 2000 Series Motorcycle mounting bracket + power Lead
Product Code: GA010-10495-00

Will the power lead fit straight to the bike or do I need a BMW extra?

Finally for operation in the car does it need the 12V power cable?

Garmin 2000 Series 12V Power cable (2700 only)
Product Code: GA010-10477-07

Sorry for my ignorance here but I just want to be clear about what to order. I don't want to get the kit and then for it not to work as I need another cable/connector etc.

Finally I've seen it for £600 from

http://www.thenavigationcompany.com/products/TN0093_Garmin_StreetPilot_2720.html

Has anyone dealt with them, are they ok?

Many thanks for any help.

Nigel

Just bought a 2720 from them. Very good service - It arrived the next day. They did not have the bike mount & power lead in stock though..

Don't forget an earpiece of some sort.
I assume the 2720 is like the 2610 in that it does not have an internal battery, therefore you'll need a means of powering it up in order to transfer routes from your PC. I bought an AC adaptor with built in accessory socket from JG Technologies, and plug in the car lead.

2720 extras ...

In the box is everything for using it in the car (mount, lead/speaker), and everything you need to plug it into your pc (software, cables & power supply).

The only extras required for the m/c are the mount & bracket, plus 12v power cable & mini speaker/mono earphone (if you can be bothered with the speech on the bike).

Garmin have put everything else into the box, (that's not to say that certain dealers eg evil-bay, do not strip out some of the above & offer them as extras).

Aside from its bulk, the unit rocks.

Regards Richard

njbhorn said:
...Garmin 2000 Series Motorcycle mounting bracket + power Lead
Product Code: GA010-10495-00

Will the power lead fit straight to the bike or do I need a BMW extra?

Nigel:

The motorcycle power cable that comes with the Garmin mounting bracket for the 2xxx series GPSRs has bare wire ends on it (red and black, for 12 VDC power and ground). I am pretty sure there is an inline fuse there already, so all you have to do is tap into a source of power. The GPSR uses very little power - about one amp, I think - so you can scarf power from wherever is convenient.

Everything you could possibly want for car use comes with the basic package.

The only other stuff you will need is some RAM hardware to attach to the back of the Garmin bracket that holds the GPSR itself, and the appropriate length arm and pipe bracket (or whatever) that attaches to the motorcycle.

Michael

Many thanks for all the replies and help.

I have now ordered my 2720 and a handlebar kit all for the princely sum of 640 quid.

I went to blokesstuff.com in the end, they got back to me with an answer to a question I had which is always a good sign in my book.

Anyone with any recommendations for somewhere to but a decent RAM mount?

Here's to never getting lost again :rolleyes:

The 26xx and 27xx series of GPSRs are fine products, and can quite safely be considered 'current' products. Both are well worth a look if you are considering getting a new moto GPS but don't need all the features that the recently announced 28xx has.

Here's a short summary of the key differences between the three generations in the 2xxx family.

26xx
The first of the 2xxx series GPSRs. Uses either a CF card or built in storage (2x10 units have CF cards, 2x20 have built in storage). The only 2xxx product that is available with DR (dead reckoning) capability - this in the 2650 and 2660 (CF / built in storage, respectively).

Has the 'old style' user interface that is preferred by some, because you get a little bit more control over customization of what is displayed. Lower screen resolution (bigger pixels) than the 27xx and 28xx series. No traffic report capabilities, no speed camera database... but all around a very competent GPSR. FWIW I still have my 2650 and I will not be giving that one up.

27xx
Some big changes here: The new, simplified user interface, 3D presentation of the map, a much higher quality picture on the screen (smaller pixels, packed more tightly together). Supports traffic reports and big speed camera databases ('Custom POIs'). Supports XM Radio reception, satellite weather and satellite traffic if you are in the USA.

28xx
Everything the 27xx has, plus Bluetooth support, MP3 player included, bigger memory for waypoints, track log, Custom POIs, faster processor, better satellite acquisition, audio in and out jacks on the left side, and more tricks to come in the future as the software for this product matures. Comes complete with CN Europe version 8 maps, no worries about upgrading, etc.

---------------------------

This is a 'quick and dirty' summary comparison of the three 2xxx family GPSRs. Do your own research before you buy, and most especially, compare screen resolution of the 26xx against the 27xx if you are considering a 26xx. Having said all that, though, I think any of the three generations would keep most people quite happy.

Michael

Well I'm more than happy with the 2720 even though I now read that that they're bringing out the 28xx series.

I'd imagine the £600 I paid will go up to £1000 for the newer model. Also will the bluetooth interface involve re-charging the headset as wiith the Tom Tom? However with the Tom Tom that's the only way to get the sound.

If so, how long do you get on a charge of the headset?

Thanks for all the great info by the way it makes the buying process much easier when you can ask questions and get decent answers.

njbhorn said:
...will the Bluetooth interface involve re-charging the headset...

Garmin doesn't sell a headset to go along with the GPSR, and I doubt very much if they have any plans to do so. For that reason, maintenance of the power supply to the Bluetooth device will be dependent on how that device is constructed. In the case of the BMW helmet with the WCS-1 Audio System, it is good for about a full day's use (8 to 10 hours) on one charge. I have never had the helmet die on me any day I have started out with a full charge in the batteries - though it won't usually last past noon hour the next day if I don't recharge it.

On the other hand, you could pair up any of the over the ear headsets sold by Motorola, Nokia, etc. with the 2820 (though I don't think that would be a good idea for motorcycle use), or you could even pair up a Bluetooth baby monitor that is powered by mains current. In short - what you pair up with the GPSR is your issue, not Garmin's. I got bored one day and paired my IBM T43 laptop computer with the 2820 that was sitting on my desk - and the laptop functioned as both a microphone and speaker for the phone that was also connected to the GPSR. A pointless excercise from a practical point of view, but an interesting one from a technical point of view.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom