Using a 2720 with MapSource

Pressurized

Reaction score
Was North East, then bordered on North, now more E
This question has sort of been asked before (by stroller) and answered sort of (by paneuropean).

Can a 2720 accept routes and waypoints from a PC using MapSource (and upload routes, waypoints and tracks back to the PC)?

Pan European said yes but not how? You do not get MapSource with the 2720 and, while you can download it, from where do you get your maps?

If you already have MapSource and maps, can you download waypoints and routes using the older maps into the 2720 and have the 2720 use them with no problems? :nenau

Pressurized said:
Pan European said yes but not how? You do not get MapSource with the 2720 and, while you can download it, from where do you get your maps?

Got my maps, City Navigator version 8, on a DVD in the box with the 2720.

Regards

Martin

Errrr, yep, got everything in the box and am happily plotting routes on Mapsource then loading them up to the 2720...

What did you buy?

Hi Pressurized:

When you purchase a GPSR that comes with all the maps preloaded into it, you get a software product called 'Trip and Waypoint Manager', rather than the software product called 'MapSource'. To the best of my knowledge, they both do pretty much the same thing, although Trip and Waypoint Manager is a somewhat smaller and simpler program because it does not need to have the capability to download map segments to the GPSR (this because all the segments are already present, factory preloaded, on the GPSR).

I don't have any experience using Trip and Waypoint Manager. I still use MapSource, even though I have a fully preloaded GPSR just like you do, because I use multiple map products - for example, Topo maps, BlueChart nautical maps, maps from different regions (South Africa, Middle East, Antarctica), and test maps that have not yet been released. So, I need to be able to load these map segments to my GPSR, in addition to what comes preloaded.

Perhaps some other forum members who have experience using Trip and Waypoint Manager can help you out.

Michael

Chisurz said:
What did you buy?
I actually bought a 2610. I was asking about the 2720 because a very concerned friend had just ordered one and wasn't certain about what came with it. From looking at the downloadable pdf manual and the product description on the website, barely any mention of MapSource was made; no hint that it was included with the 2720 (though it is mentioned with the 2820).

Thanks to those on this forum who helped out - my friend is much reassured! I would have been very surprised were it not to have been included; the ability to rapidly plan and distribute routes via PC would have been a sad omission!

Cheers! :beer:

Back
Top Bottom