Which GPS?

ColBol

Seen the SPIII offer for £150, but on a budget of say £200-250, whats the best bang for your buck?
Mainly riding around Europe, so looking for good nav detail, ease of upgrading, PC compatibility, and good fit on a 1200GS.
Recommendations much appreciated.

ColBol said:
Seen the SPIII offer for £150, but on a budget of say £200-250, whats the best bang for your buck?
Mainly riding around Europe, so looking for good nav detail, ease of upgrading, PC compatibility, and good fit on a 1200GS.
Recommendations much appreciated.

Second-hand 2610 if you're happy to have a second-hand unit :mmmm

Unless you're used to a SP3 it really is a lot slower, less user friendly than the 2610. I guess a few SP3 £150 buyers are previous users who've bought one for their parents, wife, ex etc etc.

The SP III is getting a bit long in the tooth these days - unless you really, really know what you are doing, I would not suggest you buy one of them. Perhaps re-evaluate your budget, see what is available if you are willing to spend ₤200 or so.

If you are new to GPSRs, then for sure don't get a SP III. It's old, slow, and way out of date. It still has some life in it for certain specialty uses, but not for what you have described as the way you want to use it.

Michael

Help Please.........

Hi there, we have never met but I think I have read most of your posts. I have figured you to be very clever and informative when it comes to the GPS area. I really would like to get one, but which one?? the eternal question. I currently use TomTom 5 on my PDA and Bluetooth mouse, I works fine I guess. Providing its not sunny, I can read the screen and its not rainy where I worry about damaging the whole unit then I suppose I am happy. I WANT MORE. WHo doesnt?? I ride a 12GS everywhere I can, rain, sun, snow, water, summer, winter etc etc. I would like something dependable, quick and accurate. Something that shows good coverage on and off the road, durability is a must and all the other nice things I can figure out already. I have used the Garmin 12XL for years, but on foot, and Tanks (Military lad y'see) so I aint no dummy with menus and waypoints etc etc. So I look forward to hearing from you and your wisdom :rob . Thanks for your time

Cheers :thumb

yep - if you're sticking to the £200 - £250 budget then you're after a Quest (if you can still find one in the £130 - £150 bracket); then probably another £50 or so on mountings and cables for the bike...

jon

Bullitproof:

I'm not familiar with the Quest (I have never used one), but it operates pretty much the same way as the 2xxx series of Garmin GPSRs (2610, 2720, etc.). The screen is smaller, and I think the map storage capacity is a bit smaller also.

I think you should collect opinions from the Quest users here on the forum. They seem to be pretty happy with the unit, but they are the folks who could give you expert advice, not I.

For sure, it would be better to pay a little bit more (ca. ₤100 more) and get a Quest, rather than a SP III. However - if you can find a used 2610 that has reasonably contemporary maps (version 7 or 8 cartography) in the same price range as a new Quest - then that might be an attractive alternative, simply because you would get a bigger screen and larger map storage capacity. The bigger screen is helpful if you are over 40 years of age, and the larger map storage capacity is helpful if you plan extended trips to the continent.

If you are under 40 and plan to ride mostly in the British Isles, then a new Quest is probably a better choice than a used 2610. As you have probably discovered by now, the answers are not black and white - it's sort of a 'various shades of gray' issue. What would be the best choice for you might not be right for someone else.

Michael

The disadvantage of the 2610 and later models compared to the Streetpilot III is that it only works with 12v supply. Like the SP3, the Quest can operate on its own battery power and is also small enough to carry around with you.

Although I currently have a 2610, I look with envy at the Quest 2.

Tim

Tim Cullis said:
The disadvantage of the 2610 and later models compared to the Streetpilot III is that it only works with 12v supply.

But some would say that the advantage of the 26xx etc is the lack of unreliable battery power :mmmm

John Armstrong said:
But some would say that the advantage of the 26xx etc is the lack of unreliable battery power :mmmm

Have just done 4K miles round the Baltic on Quest battery power - half an hour's charge each evening gave us more than a full day's riding. Simple RAM mount and ACQ for voice directions did the rest. I have a Bus Pass but the screen is no problem to read provided it is positioned correctly

About time Garmin updated the European basemap though!

I was one of the buyers of the SPIII about a month ago for £150. I've just returned from a trip across France and Switzerland and the unit performed faultlessly. I would have been totally lost without it, especially when in the middle of Basel. The only drawbacks were the length of time it took to recalculate, sometimes, and the sheer weight of the thing when carrying it off the bike. The battery option was especially useful on the continent where I couldn't plug it in anywhere.
Another member of the party had a Quest and although much smaller to carry it was virtually useless because he couldn't see the screen clearly in the bright sunshine.

Tim Cullis said:
Although I currently have a 2610, I look with envy at the Quest 2.
Tim

I'll swap you my Quest 1 for your 2610 :mmmm

Alan B said:
Another member of the party had a Quest and although much smaller to carry it was virtually useless because he couldn't see the screen clearly in the bright sunshine.
Which implies the SPIII screen is, somehow, better (reflective-wise) than the Quest's. It's not. If your friend had mounted an SPIII in exactly the same position and angle as his Quest, then the SPIII would have been 'virtually useless' as well.

I've owned an SPIII for years, and (still) think it's great. I prefer the Quest.

Back
Top Bottom