Green Lanes in Dorset/Hants

Seamaster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any green lane routes in Dorset and Hampshire that motorcycles can use and where they are( or the best place for me to look to find them) . I want to do the beginers off road day with steptoe and co and consider my trialwing tyres unsuitable, so the oppitunity to go off road other than this event will help me decide which tyres to choose...
Regards.

Where abouts are you in Dorset? Presume your near the coast if your a boat builder.
If you get the Salisbury OS Explorer map there are alot of legal BOATS to the SW of Salisbury that are meant to be good and of course the Plain isnt too far north for you.

I live in Bournemouth and work the other side of Blandford.

In that case you have loads. Buy the OS explorer map 130 for Salisbury and the plain and you have bloody miles of off road you lucky devil.

Off road

Hi
I am in Bournemouth and do a fair bit of off road around here if you are looking for somewhere for a first off road ride go to Salisbury race course and head west on the byway from there
It’s about the easiest off road route around here but don’t go on your own I broke my leg on that bit of track a few years ago
If you are up for a bit off road let me know and we can have a ride out one evening or I can show you some routes on a map
Bob

Hi
I am in Bournemouth and do a fair bit of off road around here if you are looking for somewhere for a first off road ride go to Salisbury race course and head west on the byway from there
It’s about the easiest off road route around here but don’t go on your own I broke my leg on that bit of track a few years ago
If you are up for a bit off road let me know and we can have a ride out one evening or I can show you some routes on a map
Bob

Thanks for the replies looks like I am going to have to change the tyres and have a go then! Once done I look forward to meeting you Bob UK and taking you up on your offer.
Regards

I did the Ox Drove a few weeks ago as a first ride on the little Serow I just bought. I picked it up just north of sixpenny handley, off the blandford-salisbury road, and followed it east for a few kms until it came out on the main road.. Not sure I'd have the confidence or strength to take the GS down it though - very narrow and rutted in places and lots of undergrowth that needs cutting back. Braver souls may well have taken a GS down it but too technical for me at the moment.

Off with the :eek Trialwings and on with the TKC80s

Attachments

• P850gs.jpg
    P850gs.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 5,091
Green lanes

At Downton near Salisbury just passed the Esso garage there's a turn off called Wick Lane go down this lane and you'll end up behind Salisbury
race course.
If this little lane doesn't put you off taking the GS off road nothing will :D
ruts.jpg

The Friends of Dorset Rights of Way Site has a good database of greenlanes etc that are open to vehicles. You have to join to access the database, I'm not now a member, and the site is perhaps biased towards 4 wheeled offroaders but its an excellent resource for exploring Dorsets hidden routes.
Andy

rideaday said:
. I want to do the beginers off road day with steptoe and co and consider my trialwing tyres unsuitable, .

They'll be people on tourances -

And thats the whole point of doing the beginners day. So anyone can come along, without being intimadated or thinking they'll slow everyone up, or thinking they don't have the right tyres.

It doesn't matter what tyres you have, it'll all be very easy.

Just an update on the conditions out on the lanes
My son and I went out on Monday evening for a blast along the lanes to the south and east of Salisbury
It’s getting much wetter up there than it was a few weeks ago some of the big mater holes are stating to fill up and once it got dark and it stared to rain A LOT it got very interesting at about this point I was very glad that I wasn’t on my GS
I was on an XT500 and my lad was on a DRZ400 and we both had a little lay down on more that one occasion

And a good time was had by all :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1

Back
Top Bottom