Autocom specific Zumo audio lead.

Thunder

Reaction score
Spoke with Autocom this morning and they confirmed they have sorted the requirements for a specific lead for the new Zumo to deal with voice and audio requirements.

They hope to have the lead available in a couple of weeks.

They also comfirmed there was no way of getting full functionality with any combination of current leads.

In a similar vein, I rang Garmin yesterday to ask if a Bluetooth helmet or headset could talk through the Zumo to an Intercom and PMR radio for Bike to Bike communication. (was only waiting 30 sec for call to be picked up)
The answer was ‘no’ :( great pity, because all the hardware exists in the Zumo and its cradle to do it.

ebbo said:
In a similar vein, I rang Garmin yesterday to ask if a Bluetooth helmet or headset could talk through the Zumo to an Intercom and PMR radio for Bike to Bike communication. (was only waiting 30 sec for call to be picked up)
The answer was ‘no’ :( great pity, because all the hardware exists in the Zumo and its cradle to do it.

I'd heard that this was the case so decided to stick with good old Autocom for a while longer, a little wire never hurt anyone. :D

I have been playing with the phone and MP£ features though, I can't speak to anyone on the phone until the new lead is available but I can make and recieve calls and the sound quality is very good as is the MP3.

Once paired with a compatible mobile phone the Zumo automatically syncronises with its phonebook on each connection and dialing a number is very easy even with thick gloves.

Really pleased with this bit of kit. :thumb

Thunder said:
I'd heard that this was the case so decided to stick with good old Autocom for a while longer, a little wire never hurt anyone. :D

Really pleased with this bit of kit. :thumb
Ahh! so I’m not the only one who thought of it then, that’s good, because emails maybe winging there way to Garmin asking that they make that possible :thumb
Glad your pleased with it :)

Turning this on its head;
if you have the Bluetooth Scala Rider 'Teamset' (rider and pillion headsets - rider is master) then you have a BT intercom and the rider has access to the zumo navigation prompts, phone and MP3 music and the rider headset can select to forward this to the pillion.

Only limitation I can see is the 7 hour battery life if the BT headsets are used continuously (as you would with music).

Referring back to using the Zumo as part of a Bike to Bike Intercom.

A couple of days back I sent Garmin this picture with some explanatory notes asking if the Zumo could be used as a Bluetooth intercom for Bike to Bike radio.

zumo_&_bike_to_bike_radio.jpg

Today I received a couple of mails from Garmin ending positively with ‘they will forward the idea to the people dealing with the Zumo!’ So, you never know your luck, they might be able to make it work! :thumb

I believe Cardo have a BT interface for the 2way and the headset supports 2 pairings (to be confirmed)

Also the zumo supports 2 pairings

If so then....
Pair the headset with the zumo and radio interface
Pair the zumo with the headset and phone

Use the zumo controls to listen to the MP3, phone and navigation instructions
Use the headset controls to choose radio or zumo

Glad I was sitting down !!!!

Just off the phone with Autocom asking about the availability of their specific lead for the Zumo.

Good news was it's available.

Shocking news was the cost.................... £38 plus £3.50 postage :eek:

just got mine to day and have it all fitted .. what a great piece of kit this is

GREAT PIECE OF KIT

How about a description of the lead and it's performence then.

lead comes with small red box labeled A B C
c plugs into auto com unit A plugs into zumo B plugs into zumo took it for road test gps. works great mp3s good sound quality. and phone displays on screen with names and numbers off those phoning and every time ignition is switched on zumo fines bluetooth phone .

c plugs into auto com unit A plugs into zumo B plugs into zumo took it for road test gps. works great mp3s good sound quality. and phone displays on screen with names and numbers off those phoning and every time ignition is switched on zumo fines bluetooth phone .

Thanks for that mate, what headset are you using please?

JDH

That sounds like the Autocom splitter box which is used for adding additional sources but does not allow the Zumo to interface with the mike on the autocom headset.

The Autocom specific lead that is shown on their website is black and des not have plug in connections.

What part number is it?

Where did you get it from?

Which leads have you connected to the mike and audio output of the Zumo and can you make calls and be heard by the person you are calling?

That sounds like the Autocom splitter box which is used for adding additional sources but does not allow the Zumo to interface with the mike on the autocom headset.

The Autocom specific lead that is shown on their website is black and des not have plug in connections.

What part number is it?

Where did you get it from?

Which leads have you connected to the mike and audio output of the Zumo and can you make calls and be heard by the person you are calling?

here is a pic its for pre 2006 auto com units.. (2006 autocom unit it is a driffernt lead) to this one shown below part no zumo 550 interface for pre 2006autocom. (mod 999)
the 2.5 jack plug which is mic goes to top hole in bike bracket
and 3.5 is audio which goes to bottom hole in bracket and the c one in the pic goes to the auxillarry on auto com unit and i got it direct from autocom yes can make and recieve calls and be heard as in having a conversation as you do on a phone. and even listen to the mp3 which i have on it over 250 songs on a 1gb card .and it also gives directions as well
hope this helps .
glad i can be off some help

100_1829.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom