Tried to get a green card for Marrocco

ozzy

Reaction score
Hello there I tried to get a green card for Morocco, from my insurance , and they said that they didn't do them for Morocco just Europe,I would have to change to some one els for that , Is it fact that you can get one on the boarder for 60 euros no prob's. cheers Ozzy:confused:

You can get basic third party insurance from the border, yes.

Recently though, they started only doing it there for 5 days, a month or a year for foreign registered bikes, so you'll have to pay more than you need unless you happen to be there for exactly those times.

There is a main office in Marrakech of the same company who do the insurance at the border, and in Marra you can do the insurance for any duration.....but you'd have to get there first....I've got their phone number somewhere if you'd like it and your French/Arabic is up to it ;)

There are other companies who will do it...Carole Nash being one, but again, it's only 3rd party.

The easiest way of getting fully comp cover for Morocco is to use a European company....there are several based in Holland that a lot of the major overland tour operators use....partly because they tend to speak very good English but also because they're efficient and fairly cheap.

I've just tried to find the details on one I spoke to but I can't find the piece of paper.....I think the company was called Alessi, and they were very helpful.

PS It's also worth going higher up in your own insurance company....Morocco is in the European green card agreement so technically, they should be covered....some people have found that if you push, you can get the green card amended to specifically include the word 'Morocco' or at the very least the international abbreviation 'Ma' listed on the green card.

Ebike insurance are one who definitely don't, as they're based in Gibraltar and operate under different rules.

(Mind you, with the experience Marion's had with Ebike Insurance recently, who the fekk's going to stay with them anyway ;) )

Some insurance companies staff will say that a green card is not possible, try phoning again and speak to someone else. Many people have had this problem with Carole Nash Insurance.

If you still have no joy then possibly change companies after checking with them.

Yes you can easily buy insurance at the border, how useful this insurance is in the event of a claim I don't know, but it does get you legal.

Don't be tempted to not ever be fully legal with all correct paper work, if the police are called to an accident they check it thoroughly.

(Mind you, with the experience Marion's had with Ebike Insurance recently, who the fekk's going to stay with them anyway ;) )

Off topic, but do tell...............

Morocco border insurance is worthless anyway because it's only for companies on organised trips. You'll have to state you are part of an organised trip before they do it.

So you could PM certain people for a copy of the green card and just print it out.:nono :eek: ;)

Morocco border insurance is worthless anyway because it's only for companies on organised trips. You'll have to state you are part of an organised trip before they do it.

So you could PM certain people for a copy of the green card and just print it out.:nono :eek: ;)

Erm....Snoopy, who told you that????

It's not true......at all.......you just go up to the office in the wall at Ceuta, or the Prefab building at the end of the car park in Tangiers, show them your Douane form and V5 and buy your insurance....it's got absolutely nothing to do with being on an organised trip or not :nenau

And ask someone who HAS experienced what happens in Morocco what happens.....Timolgra will I've no doubt be happy to descibe how he watched a chap on a tour with him standing there with a broken hand (IIRC) being quizzed thoroughly about his insurance.......

I've ridden in Morocco without a proper green card, but with what I know now, I'd certainly never do it again....it was daft:nono

(Although scooters don't actually have to be licensed or insured over there)

I was told that by the tosser doing the insurance at Ceuta. He said he would only do it on those terms - I even had to make a name up for a fake traveling company before he issued it. :nenau

Many people have had this problem with Carole Nash Insurance.

CN is a broker - when I renewed my insurance with CN this year they provided 3 quotes - 2 companies covered Morocco and 1 didn't. Since I planned a Morocco trip, I chose one of the companies who provided a Green Card covering Morocco - now arrived for a trip in October. I found CN very helpful and couldn't do enough to check details and call me back.

Have a great trip to Morocco - I plan to!!

Cheers

Border insurance is E90 @ Ceuta for 1 month. There is no negotiating.

I've just done my renewal with Norwich Union.

Was £170 more than Ebike, but covers me fully comp for maroc, and this also extends to the break down cover which the policy also provides. Also allows more than one bike on the policy to!.

IIRC Ebike only covered me fully comp for the UK, so all of europe was on the basic 3rd party only. Not really a good idea when travelling on a bike worth over 6k.....IIRC they also don't cover you for riding other peoples bikes.

nathan

Nathan

I'm not doubting you but if I were you I would want it in writing that the fully comp and breakdown covers Morocco. I got told this over the phone but the dippy bitch got Morocco confused with Monaco and thought they were the same place.

I would be amazed if you had breakdown cover for Morocco but I would love to be wrong. :)

Sid

I got a green card from BMW insurance without any problem (but only third party cover for Morocco). On landing at Tangers three weeks ago was never asked about insurance. Made sure stayed at hotel with locked garages and kept big lock on bike! Was told BMW breakdown cover only covered Morocco if you were on a BMW organised trip- As travelling solo didn't apply, decided if had major problem best thing would be to hire pickup to drive me and bike back to Tangers! Luckily had no problems and have just arrived home tired but happy!

Nathan

I'm not doubting you but if I were you I would want it in writing that the fully comp and breakdown covers Morocco. I got told this over the phone but the dippy bitch got Morocco confused with Monaco and thought they were the same place.

I would be amazed if you had breakdown cover for Morocco but I would love to be wrong. :)

Sid

Sid,

Valid Point! My previous posting wasn't that accurate. What i should have said is that the policy i now have can be extended for about £18 a week to cover me for maroc, and this would also include breakdown assist. But it is still likely to be more effective than the basic insurance you buy at the border for about £40....

nathan

Back
Top Bottom