Goretex ... what's the point when ...

400+ miles from Scotland down to London. Torrential all the way, HG Croise jacket, drystar gloves and Sidi black rain boots.
Not a drop of water got through, chuffed to bits. Mates were not amused, you have to suffer.

Handlebar Muffs - :thumb

never have wet hands or arms again, and always only wear my lightweight tuarag gloves - Lands end to john "O"Grout next week. Rain can do what it wants i'l have the muffs on :jes

I'm with Steppers on this one, I'm probably going to keep the Muffs on thro' the summer:thumb

I wear my gloves (Dainese D Tec) under the jacket and they never leak, however my trousers (BM Tourance) are inside my boots which are not waterproof anyway so they fill slowly in heavy rain, I took to wearing an over suit for a while but found it too cumbersome, these days I try to avoid long wet rides and accept my gear is OK for a couple of hundred miles but after that I am going to get wet.

Hands are always dry though!

I have never, ever worn BMW trousers inside my boots - but I ride an RT not a GS, so that probably explains it!

THe Goretex thing is often misunderstood:

It is a semi permeable membrane that sits between the outer layer of the garment and the inner layer.

It is semi permeable inthat it will let moisture pass only in one direction, i.e.outwards. Therefore your manky sweat will be wicked away from your bod, but hte rain will not make its way through to your bod!
This is a Godsend as those of us who got issued waterproof DPM'S will testify! (You got wetter on the inside :mad: )

QED!

Actually, I believe it works across a temperature gradient - warm to cold. That's why goretex gloves don't work if you switch your heated grips on.:(

Ask me how I know:augie

This thread sprang to mind on fri. afternoon on my way to the Nurburgring 600km(report later) as the rain slowly crept in to my Gore-tex gloves from the sleeve of my Gore-tex lined Rallye2 jacket :mad:

The next day I tucked the gloves inside the cuffs (they are mega wide and it's easy to do) and hey presto :) No rain goes up your sleeve and all was totally transformed :)

Lesson learned - just wish I had known that before I left home on Friday :blast

Me too, got caught in a down pour and had remembered to tuck them in. Worked a treat.

BMW Atlantis gloves.:clap

Water-resistant leather and Gore-Tex membrane.

I've had them three years now, they've never let in a single drop of water. What's more they don't have the annoying habit of many gloves where the lining pulls out.

I only bought them because they were the only glove I could find with a wiper blade on the index finger, best £80 spent on kit (I think they are little more than that now but bearing in mind that mine show no signs of wear or leaks, it's good VFM).

Really? FFS!

BMW Atlantis gloves.:clap
Water-resistant leather and Gore-Tex membrane.
........I've had them three years now,
...............bearing in mind that mine show no signs of wear or leaks

Errrmmmmmmm:confused:
.........but when did you test them?:nenau ?????? you've virtually been garage-bound for the last 3 years :nenau or have you been down to Ocean BMW again :D....... :augie
(IMHO you should not post so many 'drag-arse comments' about me Mr P:nono - not nice)
":green gri Vengeance is a dish best eaten cold" :D

Errrmmmmmmm:confused:
.........but when did you test them?:nenau ?????? you've virtually been garage-bound for the last 3 years :nenau or have you been down to Ocean BMW again :D....... :augie
(IMHO you should not post so many 'drag-arse comments' about me Mr P:nono - not nice)
":green gri Vengeance is a dish best eaten cold" :D
Today, yesterday, Saturday and last Friday.

Now feck off drag-arse! :rolleyes:

Today, yesterday, Saturday and last Friday.

Now feck off drag-arse! :rolleyes:
:jes Go burn some fuel you tosser 'par excellence' !!!:D
.....and ..ah yes....fuel.....remember? that inflammable stuff you put in that large black container of yours :upyou

Handlebar Muffs - :thumb

never have wet hands or arms again, and always only wear my lightweight tuarag gloves - Lands end to john "O"Grout next week. Rain can do what it wants i'l have the muffs on :jes

muffs.... look crap.... but boy do they work oh so well.... same as Neil i use GS light BMW gloves and very rarely even need the heated grips

Back
Top Bottom