Triumph Scrambler...anyone?

y2blade

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
im seriously considering braking one of my "golden rules of biking" and buying one of these

anyone here got one,do you like it?
Triumph_Scrambler_900_ac-07.jpg

Which golden rule are you breaking - the "Don't buy a sh!t bike" rule??:D

I was tempted a year or so back, then I sat on one and thought no, it felt very odd and heavy and not at all like the greenlaner I was hoping for:(

I suppose I should have had a test ride but sometimes you know its just gonna be a waste of time.

Shep

Which golden rule are you breaking - the "Don't buy a sh!t bike" rule??:D

your almost right!!!

my "golden rules" are never to own a Triumph or Ducati (i worked in a dealers w/shop not too long ago and they were both shite as far as reliablity went) i promised myself then i'd never own either brands

HTH

Scrape your pennies together and get an RC8 :)

cheers Tim

we saw this one at the show and had a sit on another (amongst every other bike at the show...as you do!! )

g/f said it was very comfy and as the sportsbikes are getting more ridiculas pillion wise i am considering looking at something a bit differant for two-up poodling around

the Scrambler looks so cool :cool:

having read your report im kinda put off but i gotta get a test ride though

06822.jpg

The standard seat is badly padded plank.
Solo seat is far more comfortable but doesn't do much for the pillion
unless they learn to ride saddle like the thai gals do!:D
See my thread on my learning curve
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114733
it may help in your decision making.
Good luck with your choice.
But at least take it out for a test ride.
All the best from Bangkok
Rhodie

So your after a cool looking bike with knobbly tyres that your significant other can perch on, and you can ride on the lanes?

Theres a little known german company that produce a few bikes that might be up to the job, they are called gs's...:augie

nathan

cheers Tim

we saw this one at the show and had a sit on another (amongst every other bike at the show...as you do!! )

g/f said it was very comfy and as the sportsbikes are getting more ridiculas pillion wise i am considering looking at something a bit differant for two-up poodling around

the Scrambler looks so cool :cool:

having read your report im kinda put off but i gotta get a test ride though

06822.jpg

Yes that black one does look good especially with the Ohlins, not a patch on Rhodie's though.
Have a test ride, you probably gathered from my ride that I didn't warm to it straight away, probably because I regard my bikes as tools for a job:), but can certainly see the appeal:thumb2

I was seduced by the T100, & bought one 2 years ago. Similar to the Scrambler, but more (?) road oriented & with a 360 degree crank. Timolgra's right; it can't be an 'only' bike - it has too many limitations. The shocks are, well, shocking & I keep meaning to relace with IKONs. The Ohlins (I saw the 2 bikes on dispaly at the NEC) look fabulous, but are expensive & can't dial out everything. The gearing is all wrong too - you are always hunting for 6th, & that's with an 18-tooth sprocket. Oddly, the Scrambler is much better geared for road use.

On the plus side, the engine is a peach. Liberated with a set of Norman Hyde TOGAs, it sounds fantastic and runs so much better (re-jetted & air induction kit removed). The gearbox is up to Honda standards. I've ridden the bike through 2 winters, and the finish is fine. There's the odd bit of corrosion, but nothing to get upset about.

To be honest, for the money, there are better looking & better value bikes. £6000 buys a lot these days - I quite fancy the Ducati 696 Monster. The Bonnie really feels built down to a price, & you can spend a huge amount making it into a decent machine. The same is true with the Scrambler, if not more so; it looks as if it should do so much more. But can't. Which is a shame.

I'll keep mine. I like its looks & I don't feel that my old SpeedTwin is really safe on the roads these days (no indicators, nagging worries about reliability tho' it has never let me down, etc), & the Bonnie kind of feels the same. But the real reason I won't sell it is the huge depreciation. I'd rather keep it, & get something else.

If my missus lets me :D

i like the looks of the bike, but those ohlins look totally inappropriate IMO.

I like 'em....prefer the blue, but there you go.....:)

One thing that gets me about the twins.......How come they cost more than the latest Street Triple ?.......:nenau

I like 'em....prefer the blue, but there you go.....:)

One thing that gets me about the twins.......How come they cost more than the latest Street Triple ?.......:nenau

Cos they're aimed at middle aged nostalgic guys still going through their midlife crisis and have just finished paying their mortgage off:thumb

Back
Top Bottom