M6 SPECs

Steve Chip

I received this as an e-mail

The new electronic signs on the M6 were switched on this Tuesday. The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras. This probably applies to all the new signs being installed on the M62, M60 and M56.

SPECS is a computer-camera based system.

As you go past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer 'knows' how far apart the signs are so it can work out your average speed between the two, or three or four.

The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes.

You will not know you have been caught as the cameras don't flash. They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue. The whole section of the M6 between Knutsford and Preston is wired, both ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket at 78MPH. (Don't take this as a guarantee). Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is no laser beam to detect.

Does anyone know whether it's true!!

Steve:yikes

Well, it used to be the M4 (excpet the M4 one was found to be false) so I'm guessnig it's just an urban myth that's mutated in the wild.

I`ve noticed that the SPECS cameras near me A629 stocksbridge by pass are all forward facing...what a blow.

Are those on the M6 the same?

turbine_2 said:
Well, it used to be the M4 (excpet the M4 one was found to be false) so I'm guessnig it's just an urban myth that's mutated in the wild.

Colleague of mine, who works on the road, says that specs are now operational on the M4 in the Swindon area, backed up by radio interview with the local constabulary. Watch out... though you really shouldn't be wasting your GS on a motorway!!!!

Interestingly Thames Valley Police on their web site have refuted that M4 story.

I have seen the SPECS cameras on the M6, albeit in the road works just north of Stoke. Can't remember now which way they face, but they are definitely there:mad:

Can anyone confirm whether they work in the dark or not as I tend to travel 'Up Nooorth' at night?

Steve B

If they are there, they will work in the dark!

Usually two apertures, one is the lens, the other an IR light source :mad:

I believe they are operational - but at present are only recording 'information on traffic flows' :confused:

Probably calculating how much income they can generate once they start doing what they're built for! Or calculating at what speed to set them to go off at, to generate a certain income!

Forward facing cameras obviously work best (most of them face that way), but expect one every so often to be positioned to read your number plate so they know which red jacketed, yellow biker (seen speeding three miles previously) to send the fine to!

My next bikes only going to be 100cc !

I have seen what look like SPEC's on the M6 & M60 they're on the overhead gantries facing toward you:D :D so no worries there, just smile for the camera. you cant miss 'em as they all have a big orange square behind them to enable you to see them. I just hope that the ones on the opposite carriageway dont record the full width of the motorway.

Back
Top Bottom