Headset mike in a flip up helmet

samson

Reaction score
Just bought a headphone /mike set up from Starcom ( very helpful advice and prompt service) but I not sure of the best way to install in a System 6 flip front helmet. The real problem lies with the mike wire. I chose not to go with the boom mike option because it keeps getting knocked and gets in the way of the flip action, but I am trying to find a way to route the wire from the stick on mike so that there is enough slack to allow the front to lift up and yet not leave to much loose wire rattling about in the helmet. Another concern is the risk of the wire chafing as the front is flipped up and down. Maybe some type of wire protector might be the answer. Any ideas?

idea - yes.
but you wont like it. :blast
get the boom mic and cope with it.

i use the Autocom equivalent.
always used a boom mic with open face/ flip up (Boxer lid), Tour X and now an 'Airoh' Moto X lid and just pushed it in and out to my lips.
that will work.
loose wire (and it'll have to be, to let you 'flip-your-lid') will sooner or later chafe / catch on some damn thing and stop it working.

i'd be right pleased if you prove me wrong though. :thumb2
Good Luck

I use the interphone with a boom mike in my System 6. No problems whatsoever.

You know, I had a feeling that I'd made the wrong choice! With hindsight, I'm sure that the boom is the best option. I'll get back to Starcom and see what can be done. Thankfully I haven't peeled off any of the coverings for the velcro pads so it should just be a straight swap. Thanks for the advice.

Ironic that a thread should start on this as I just did the same on my System 5 last night. I too got fed up with the boom mic.
I took the Autocom boom apart and took the stiff wire out of it. I then cut it and soldered in a piece of speaker cable to give me a comfortable length and put heat shrink over the joins and taped the whole wire in insulating tape.
I put a small hole in the aerobord on the mouth guard and ran the wire through it and ran the wire around the mouth guard (removed everything) and un-did the piece that the strap is attached to and ran the wire in there.
I opened and closed the helmet several times and had a look into the catch with a torch while doing it and no sign of it coming close to the wire so fingers crossed there.
The microphone being directly against the mouth guard was a bit far away for VOX so I just stuck a bit of foam behind it and all is fine touch wood.:thumb2

You know, I had a feeling that I'd made the wrong choice! With hindsight, I'm sure that the boom is the best option. I'll get back to Starcom and see what can be done. Thankfully I haven't peeled off any of the coverings for the velcro pads so it should just be a straight swap. Thanks for the advice.

If they won't take it off your hands I could do with a new one for my son's lid so I'll have it off you at cost if you like?

I use the boom mic set up with a multitech having swapped from the button mic as you describe.

I used a stick to "ease" the wiring between the lining and the shell and ran the wire with enough slack back towards the ear piece (not easy to describe).

No problems with the wire getting loose or chaffing (o er missus) - just preferred the boom mic set up - no problems with that either.

I've used a Starcom bud mike with first a Caberg Justissimo and currently a BMW System 5.

I released the inner trim on the chin guard enough to thread the wire behind it coming out at the top left of the trim.

I then twisted the wire enough to form a loop and threaded it behind the helmet lining and finally threaded the two connectors (I use Ultimate Ear monitors so plug in those and connect to the Starcom cable) out of the base of the helmet.

Like this:-

4306424845_737ea89408.jpg

4306425029_956647b316.jpg

4307166108_314181b206.jpg

4306425433_859e883e0d.jpg

As I have good peripheral vision I can actually see the loop of wire but it isn't too distracting, I soon got used to it and it gives enough slack for the helmet to flip without damage to the wire. It works really well.

Back
Top Bottom