Wilbers ESA

Edventure

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since I took delivery of my 2010 GSA I've not been happy with the standard ESA.
The ride quality and handling isn't a patch on the previous GSA I had fitted with Wilbers so after hearing that Wilbers are now supplying their WESA for the Adventure I've taken the plunge and ordered a set.

The importers are the guys who used to be EveryAccessory but are now http://www.wilberssuspension.co.uk/ really helpful guys.

The new shocks should arrive in 2 weeks or so and I'll get up to Halesowen and get them fitted; can't wait!

Anyone else had them fitted?

I would like to know how you get on
What’s total cost including fitting
For me with the 2010 GSA, the shocks are ok one up with no luggage but once you load it up its still a bit vague and on the soft side .
I have been looking at the WESA but have not taken the plunge YET

I would like to know how you get on
What’s total cost including fitting
For me with the 2010 GSA, the shocks are ok one up with no luggage but once you load it up its still a bit vague and on the soft side .
I have been looking at the WESA but have not taken the plunge YET

Shan, It's about £1200 including fitting:eek: But should be worth it, read some good reviews. I'll let you know how I get on........

I've Just ordered a 30yr GSA today and being a short axse i've also had to ordered wesa but lowered by 55mm £1250! Fully fitted and setup.

Hi Davy

PLEASE revert on them... me being also a short axse I am very interested in them...

Best Regards

Fran

I will do Fran, it will be a few weeks though, i have just ordered the bike in chester i then have to bring it down to Birmingham to have the shox replaced.

Brilliant!

I had the Wilbers ESA fitted last week and this weekend I got the chance to try them out. In fact, I’ve just done 200 miles on them.

Bloody hell, what a difference!

The bike feels superb, glued to the tarmac, no more pitching and yawing under acceleration and there is a good difference between the comfort, normal and sport settings. The handling is so much more precise it almost feels like a different bike. I found myself flinging it around like I was on my sports bike!

It wasn’t cheap but it’s easily the best modification I’ve had on any bike.

Big thanks to John and Nick at Revs Racing :thumb2

Great news to read!!! I'm collecting my bike on monday morning from Chester BMW and taking it to John and nick to have the work done

I fitted Wilbers to my 2004 bike and felt the same. I can't justify the expense of changing my ESA shocks on my 2008 ADV but should the time come when I need to fettle the suspension, the WESA are top of my list (cheaper than OEM ESA shock replacement).

Thanks for taking the time to recommend them. :thumb2

A wee update, As i said i'm a short arse so i decided after talking to the wilber lads John and Nick that i would go the max and have the 80mm lowered wilber's esa shox, so i left the MONSTER R1200 GSA with the lads and called back to collect it, JEZZ what a difference, I can sit flat footed both feet brillant.. so they suggest i take it for a spin to see how it feels, Now this is my first BMW it's brand new i've not even had my arse on the seat nor even started it, all the controls and gadgets are new to me. so i get my gear on and set off, it took me all of 2 minutes to realise, first that the bike is bloody brillant and the ride is smooth and planted. i've just got home to Ireland and have clocked nearly 400 miles on it on twisty straight hilly flat roads, I'm absoutly delighted with it and the service from John and Nick is Old school no BS just straight talking over a latte coffee! two gentlemen with a welth of knoweledge who enjoy the craic like the rest of us Thanks Lads..

I was thinking of going down the Wilbers route. Can you tell me please, did you have to do any modifications to the centre or side stand with the 80mm lowering.
Are you able to say whatare your inside leg measurement, are you using a standard or lower seat? Many thanks.

Hi, My inside leg is 29" i could have used the bike with the factory suspension i suppose, but there were a few things which made "me" go for lower shox, First being i think the bike a little top heavy (i'm only 11 stone), and second was my wife is always with me on the bike, So i wouldnt take the risk it droping it, i wouldn't give hoot about the bike mind,, just wouldn't want to hurt the wee missus, so after talking to John and Nick i decided to go for the max i could and that is 80mm on the GSA, The bike is absoutly brillant i've been to Manchester this weekend on it visiting my Son left Ireland on Thursday and came home just today had a ball on it and put 700 smothe faultless miles on it, Re the sidestand Nick adjusted it for me, he cut 50mm off it!! I've yet to get the mainstand adjusted but it will need to be done at some point..

Wilbers ESA centre stand mods

Hi all

great thread.

I'm about to take the plunge and get WESA units fitted to my standard 09GS and will be opting for a 50mm lower ride height set up. It seems that the side stand issue is resolved by a simple modification. However, I'm advised that the current centre stand will be rendered virtually un-useable - unless I get muscles like Geoff Capes as part of the deal.

Has anyone on here resolved this issue - a simple cut and reweld fix is not obvious due to complex angles and postioning of the centre stand foot lever?

Would replacing the centre stand with one off an OEM low supspension GS work?

Advice appreciated.

Hi all

great thread.

I'm about to take the plunge and get WESA units fitted to my standard 09GS and will be opting for a 50mm lower ride height set up. It seems that the side stand issue is resolved by a simple modification. However, I'm advised that the current centre stand will be rendered virtually un-useable - unless I get muscles like Geoff Capes as part of the deal.

Has anyone on here resolved this issue - a simple cut and reweld fix is not obvious due to complex angles and postioning of the centre stand foot lever?

Would replacing the centre stand with one off an OEM low supspension GS work?

Advice appreciated.
Ive got a gs that have the wilber lowered shocks , not wesa though:(
Anyway when i got the bike ,It still had the standard side and centre stand and it was almost upright, not having had a gs before I didnt know the difference until it was sitting next to a proper one, Then putting it on the centre stand i was nearly bursting a bollock everytime,
Cut a long story short , I went in complained and they changed it to a lowered one , So what im saying is , because BMW now do lowered bikes , they have lowered centre and side stands
hope this helps:flag

I am getting the old fashioned low tech Wilburs you have to adjust yourself.

One benefit is that I can have both compression and rebound damping (in fact the ones I have ordered have seperate low and high speed compression adjustment.

I did wonder if the Wilbers ESA also have a manual compression adjuster, or just rebound like the stock ones :nenau

Pricing sounds pretty good, I think the rebound only set for non ESA was about £1,100 and the full monty 3-way damping unit £1250 (both with remote pre-load adjusters)

Just a thought & I'm not wanting to pour scorn on your purchases but a couple of questions
1)Are they plugged into the original wiring for the std ESA units if so how have they got round calibrating them into the ZFE chassis computer.
2)If they're plumbed into the original wiring then surely the warranty will be compromised .

PS have ridde a few Wilbers bikes & its a definate improvement

Just a thought & I'm not wanting to pour scorn on your purchases but a couple of questions
1)Are they plugged into the original wiring for the std ESA units if so how have they got round calibrating them into the ZFE chassis computer.
2)If they're plumbed into the original wiring then surely the warranty will be compromised .

PS have ridde a few Wilbers bikes & its a definate improvement

I'm getting WESA shocks fitted in a couple of weeks so will pose your questions directly to John and Nick and let you know what they say.

I have had the Wilbur WESA shocks on a 2010 GS for about 3 weeks, have done about 700 miles on them - best modification I have made to the bike. It now feels planted in the corners. I am, shall we say, on the heavy side, so getting the shocks set up for my weight was a major plus.

Downside is that the BMW warranty is no longer valid on the ESA system.

[Downside is that the BMW warranty is no longer valid on the ESA system.[/QUOTE]

Think you might find that the warranty is not area specific, if you've invalidated it you may have invalidated the whole warranty :blast

Back
Top Bottom