System 6 helmet, BMW Communication System & iPhone

ahmorris

Reaction score
Hi
Anyone any experience of the BMW Communications System with a System 6 helmet? and bluetooth-ing to an iPhone for music / incoming calls?

I have my eye on the new yellow System 6 helmet and like the idea of the BMW Communications System but I heard the quality of the comms system wasn't that great.

Any views?

I've also got that new high vis yellow System 6 helmet, with the BMW bluetooth in it. It does pair up nicely with an iPhone (tested with both a 3GS and a 4G), with both incoming calls and for A2DP music. However, I haven't had luck getting it to pair to both the iPhone and a zumo 660 at the same time (to allow music from the iPhone directly, and gps overrides when needed). So, for now, the iPhone stays paired to the zumo and is handled that way (minus straight music playback). I also only have the one headset, so can't comment on the intercom functionality... The audio quality was, however, quite good (and loud) for music playback and phone calls when paired directly with the iPhone.

I've also got that new high vis yellow System 6 helmet, with the BMW bluetooth in it. It does pair up nicely with an iPhone (tested with both a 3GS and a 4G), with both incoming calls and for A2DP music. However, I haven't had luck getting it to pair to both the iPhone and a zumo 660 at the same time (to allow music from the iPhone directly, and gps overrides when needed). So, for now, the iPhone stays paired to the zumo and is handled that way (minus straight music playback). I also only have the one headset, so can't comment on the intercom functionality... The audio quality was, however, quite good (and loud) for music playback and phone calls when paired directly with the iPhone.

Sounds pretty good then...I'm not sure if you can link more than 1 item to a Bluetooth link at once though I know some car Bluetooth hands-free sets allow multiple phones to link at one (though only one call at a time).

How does the System 6 feel in yellow - I was wondering if it was a bit loud, but knowing how crap the drivers are in Hong Kong I'm thinking being seen might outweigh the fashion aspect. In this regard I have the hi-viz Airflow Jacket already which is great - most drivers think I'm in the Police and kindly pull to one side :)

Cheers

Alan

System 6 & Bluetooth

Hi, interesting to red the comments. I've recently bought a Motorrad IV sat nav and as in their wisdom, BMW have covered the AV cable connectors with their mount, I had to invest in a bluetooth comms kit as fitting a dongle to my old Autocom simply didn't work. Having bought two Scala Rider units I'm really struggling to hear any commands at motorway speed and the pairing is proving great for single rider (pairs to phone and Sat Nav) but add pillion and nightmare. Everytime we have a conversation theSat Nav pairing drops for ages until I get commands back - not good when riding around foreign cities. Would really appreciate any advice, I've even considered taking the plunge with a BMW System 6 and comms unit but I'm not sure if it would be any better?

I was over in S. Yorks a few weeks back and the guy in Rainbow (no not Jeffrey or Zippy) gave me a demo of the System 6 & comms system paired to the iPhone. It seemed really clear sound, ok so it was just in showroom.

Questioning him about pairing it to a navigator, he replied that unless I'm doing big trips, he recommends downloading the Tom Tom app to the phone, he swears by it. Now he could have pushed to sell a navigator so it was sound advice.

Have I bought the helmet, comms system or the tom tom??? no, not yet :augie

I find the BMW system much better than when I had a hardwired Autocom setup.

Both my wife and I have system 6 helmets with BMW comms sytems fitted.

Helmets pair to each other no probs plus mine also pairs to my Zumo 550 which is paired to my phone.
I can then hear wife, zumo, zumo music, phone.
Volume is much louder than I could ever get from the autocom system.
Phone conversations way better, same as normal phone call off the bike.

The only slight drawback is, that when the zumo gives an instuction, the rider to passenger comms is stopped for the duration of the message.
Also if I am listening to music from the Zumo I have to press one of the buttons on the helmet to switch from music to passenger comms.
Passenger cannot hear music from the zumo cos the zumo can only pair with one device, ie my helmet.

Wife can hear me and music from her own ipod which has a small A2DP blutooth transmitter fitted.

Overall we are very pleased with the performance of this setup.:thumb2

Just to edit my last post..... I bought the System 6 and the Comms system on Friday. Totally fantastic!!! Paired to the iPhone, I can listen to music and phone calls are very clear. Other person on phone says they can hear me as clear also.

As for the Tom Tom App on the phone, well I can hear the instructions clearly, the music fades to hear the voice prompt. But the directions are a little hit & miss :1/10

Hi, interesting to red the comments. I've recently bought a Motorrad IV sat nav and as in their wisdom, BMW have covered the AV cable connectors with their mount, I had to invest in a bluetooth comms kit as fitting a dongle to my old Autocom simply didn't work. Having bought two Scala Rider units I'm really struggling to hear any commands at motorway speed and the pairing is proving great for single rider (pairs to phone and Sat Nav) but add pillion and nightmare. Everytime we have a conversation theSat Nav pairing drops for ages until I get commands back - not good when riding around foreign cities. Would really appreciate any advice, I've even considered taking the plunge with a BMW System 6 and comms unit but I'm not sure if it would be any better?

Hi Birky, just fitted a autocom system to a BMW motorad 4 or garmin 660 and used a starcom bluetooth unit with the autocom and paired it up no problems! That might be the way to go for anyone having a few problems with the BMW 660 garmin! Regards

Mick

Anyone successfully paired an Iphone 4 to a Bmw Bluetooth helmet?, I have a customer struggling with his and he's too far for me to have a fiddle about.

Anyone successfully paired an Iphone 4 to a Bmw Bluetooth helmet?, I have a customer struggling with his and he's too far for me to have a fiddle about.

Yes. On the iphone - settings, general, bluetooth

turn on. when it finds the nav system connect. the code is 0000

edit: that is either the code for the helmet or the nav system. from memory the other code is 1234. One of them will work and once it is paired you can forget it.

Hi
Anyone any experience of the BMW Communications System with a System 6 helmet? and bluetooth-ing to an iPhone for music / incoming calls?

I have my eye on the new yellow System 6 helmet and like the idea of the BMW Communications System but I heard the quality of the comms system wasn't that great.

Any views?

I have this set up (sys 6) but not yellow helmet. I've use both the nav system and the iphone for music. At the mom I'm using the nav system. It's easier to use when riding. My iphone is in my pocket. The phone works a treat through the zumo.

My only negative is that I wish the music was louder. The master volume on the satnav is set at 80% and I don't see how to change that.

Am now owner of a yellow System 6 after quite a struggle. Vines only supply with an order, Park Lane carry stock but wonder what to do when stock is sold as " it is selling well". Bahnstormers had one in wong size. Cooper's T Wells had sizes in stock and made the sale, why is spending monet so difficult?

Hi Steve,
Pretty sure I am the customer that you a referring to! Small world! From the string on this site it sure loooks like some people have been able to pair the iPhone 4 with the system 6. I have still failed so I am going to BmW in Battersea on Monday to see if they can sort out together with a few problems with the bike.
If they can't sort it I will bring to you for a fiddle as I am in southport on Friday!

Regards

Graham Ball

Back
Top Bottom