Anyone on here from Utrecht?

Toad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to be spending some time (6-18 months) in Utrecht and could do with some local knowledge.

Anyone on here from that area?

You'd better ...

... learn how to spell it then :D

We used to have an office there (Maarssen, not so good), but stayed in Utrecht.

It's a nice University town, good pubs/restaurants etc by the big canal in the middle.

One junkie enclave between the station and the shopping centre to navigate of an evening but they keep themselves to themselves.

Shout if you want to know anything specific about the place.

I

We used to have an office there (Maarssen, not so good), but stayed in Utrecht.

It's a nice University town, good pubs/restaurants etc by the big canal in the middle.

One junkie enclave between the station and the shopping centre to navigate of an evening but they keep themselves to themselves.

Shout if you want to know anything specific about the place.

I

Thanks Ian.

It's not the specifics so much as the general. I need to find somewhere to stay (good areas, bad areas) and gen up on what's needed to make things easier.

I've worked in Netherlands before (Vianen) but this was a few years ago.

I'd be inclined to avoid the feeder suburbs like Maarssen, Niewegh(something)hein, as they are a bit sterile, and find somewhere walkable/tram/bus to the centre of Utrecht. Vleuten was nice.

I don't think there's any particular issues with bad areas & security, but it's been a few years. Find somewhere appropriate size/facilities size and you're all set. Traffic is generally crap around there on the motorway and feeder roads, so try and avoid having to use it in your commute.

Used to use the park plaza next to the station for short trips, it's fine, and handy for town too, if you need a place to get established from.

The Oudaen Pub, and the 'English' one next door were where we'd spend all the spare time, and word of advice, if the bloke in the indian opposite says something will be too hot, take the advice. :firemth

Going to be spending some time (6-18 months) in Utrecht and could do with some local knowledge.

Anyone on here from that area?

I'm in Rotterdam (46km away), let me know if you need help with anything - I probably know an expat or two who live around there if it's needed.

Closest Official BMW dealer is ~10 km outside Utrecht (Molenaar).

There is an expat list (http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/legal_aliens/) where you should be able to get an answer to more less anything.

Casper

You could always slide along to Zandvoort for the race track and nudist beach.

;)

Back
Top Bottom