What are Harley like to live with?

You've just inadvertently hit the nail square on the head :thumb2

Lots of Harley riders simply want to be seen riding the badge...

A bit sad really :augie

Surely that applies just as much to BMW owners as HD owners!

Last edited:
i had one, lasted 11 days, it had to go, i could find no redeeming features, other than it was very noisy and scared old ladys

You mean there are other reasons for owning a bike????

Seriously, I like Harleys, never owned one, but during my Buell days, I had 2 as long term loaners, a Staged 3 Fat Boy with the loudest 2-into-1 in the world which went like that smelly stuff off a stainless steel shovel and had the least amount of ground clearance ever, but I liked riding it and loved the 1780cc motor too!

The other one was a Dyna Glide with the leather bags with studs and tassels and a screen. This was a bike I hoped my friends wouldn't see me riding!!! But..... it was a fantastic bike!!! Great 1540cc motor, handles really nicely on the A and B roads around Oxford and took motorways in it's stride. If short, I really, really liked it apart from the studs and tassles.

The one I would really like to own is the Road King but not the Classic, I want the one with hard bags.

Surely that applies just as much to BMW owners as HD owners!

Of course (well, 1200 riders anyway :D)

But there are some HD riders who simply want the kudos they think they'll get from the HD badge...

Of course there are other marques that have a similarly magnetic pull, & some simple minded souls really do think it'll change their life :comfort

Is it a standard bike? The pic in the post shows a bike with mid controls, not forwards, which I like and what looks like a single headlight which I also

Having read up about the Fat Bob just after it came out a couple of years ago, it seems that in the States HD sell it with mid-mount controls and in the UK with forward mounted controls. Seeing as how that's probably the opposite of what the market wants - go figure! One of the reasons I bought the standard Road King in 2009 was because it was no longer going to be available in the UK (it had hard bags & alloy wheels), if you wanted a Road King it had to be the Custom with leather bags, white walled tyres and spoked wheels. However, in the States the standard Road King continues to be available.

You have all overlooked the best Harley ever - the V-Rod.
If you're looking for more than just a badge take one for a test ride.....
Steve

I bought a hardtail Honda chop once with loooooong twisted springer forks and 24" ape hangers. It had a small cut down seat.

It was crap, wouldn't go round corners and was uncomfortable. I wouldn't buy another Honda, they're crap. Been there done that! :blast

You seem to have taken an automatic assumption that it was a typical, run of the mill Harley chopper, as seen in Easy Rider.
It wasn't..
It was very tastefully customised with widened front forks, fat tyres on spoked wheels, shortie mudguards, low bars, forward controls, slash cut pipes (that sounded amazing), L.E.D. indicators and rear light mounted under the mudguard and a stunning deep paint job that was all done by airbrush, by a very talented artist. The total truth is, it was a beautiful bike and if I could have afforded to, I would still have it. It's the only bike I've ever owned that I spent more time cleaning, than riding. Kept it for three years.
As for a bike to actually go out and ride...? It certainly turned heads and drew a crowd when I parked it up. But the performance was underwhelming, the brakes were inadequate and the handling, at times, was shall we say, unnerving.
Still love em though. It's an experience thing, that has to be approached with a different view.

You seem to have taken an automatic assumption that it was a typical, run of the mill Harley chopper, as seen in Easy Rider.
It wasn't..
It was very tastefully customised with widened front forks, fat tyres on spoked wheels, shortie mudguards, low bars, forward controls, slash cut pipes (that sounded amazing), L.E.D. indicators and rear light mounted under the mudguard and a stunning deep paint job that was all done by airbrush, by a very talented artist. The total truth is, it was a beautiful bike and if I could have afforded to, I would still have it. It's the only bike I've ever owned that I spent more time cleaning, than riding. Kept it for three years.
As for a bike to actually go out and ride...? It certainly turned heads and drew a crowd when I parked it up. But the performance was underwhelming, the brakes were inadequate and the handling, at times, was shall we say, unnerving.
Still love em though. It's an experience thing, that has to be approached with a different view.

I really wasn't assuming anything about your bike. I was trying to make the point that from your post you were comparing and judging a stock Harley to a one off custom bike and then saying if you only want to go in straight lines you'll love em.
If about the only stock HD part on a bike is the engine, you can't really criticise HD handling (well actually you can criticise HD handling but that's not the point I'm trying to make :D)
It was also the "been there done that" comment which came across like "HDs are like soooo yesterday, I've totally moved on from them"
Personally I like lots of different types of bikes (some) customs included. If I wanted to go honking round corners I'll buy an R1. I like my HD for it's rather relaxing pace of life. If I want a more spirited ride I'll take my airhead GS out with it's razor sharp handling and sporty high tech gearbox! :aidan :beerjug:

If I want a more spirited ride I'll take my airhead GS out with it's razor sharp handling and sporty high tech gearbox! :aidan :beerjug:

Me too :D they really are brilliant bikes aren't they :thumb2

As to my Harley, well, it's to much of an old friend to disown.

I got my first one in 1989 and I still feel the same way about 'em.

And the truth is, most HD riders will never 'get it', but who cares..?

Hence why I am considering the change, owning a Harley is a little bit embarrassing these days, there is something almost cheesy About it (just visit a HOG event and it will put you off HDs in an instant).

As for the Victory being for those that can't afford a Harley, I fail to see how
you work that out? The prices are pretty much identical across the range the Hammer S LE is £14295 the same price as the top spec V Rod! I am yet to test ride a Victory, but if the blurb is to be believed, the Victory will out perform, brake and handle better than an HD. To me it makes more sense to buy something that works rather than a lesser item brought just for the brand name!

I may change my opinion after I ride a Victory, but being a current HD owner I fail to see how it could not be better (apart from the noise) it has better
suspension, twin discs up front and a more powerful engine, all the things an HD is missing. Mind you the same could be said of all the Japanese HD clones, but I do agree that the HD will win on resale value, they do hold their price
well.

IMHO HD are a victim of their own success, they used to be a bikers dream bike that you would work your whole life for in the hope to some day be able to buy one and ride on a daily basis. Now for many people they are purely a summer toy and fashion accessory to be rolled out for a pose on a sunny day,
whilst wearing a matching wardrobe of his and hers branded clothing, including underpants and wallet.:barf

Let the debate continue.

How is owning a Harley embarrassing? I for one love em! I don't run with the 'Live to Ride' brigade but a few 'odd' people on a bike don't make it a bad thing! I see almost everyday an R1200 GSA on the M4, full allu luggage,(probably with a sandwich box in it!) bright red twat suit, and it looks like its never even been pushed over a grass verge, let alone been off road, but i would still have one, and not be embarassed to ride it.

I had a good look at the range and they are generally 2-3k below HD's, also didnt reaslise how 'blatant' the copying was! They even do a Classic Tourer with leather pannier bags!!!

Also, HD a victim of their own success don't make them a bad bike. Agree with the comments about the engine/brakes etc but have you ridden a later HD?

Fashion accessory? Lets see now, GS/Twat Suit/Long Way Round/ :barf/:barf/etc,etc,:augie:augie:augie

Me too :D they really are brilliant bikes aren't they :thumb2

As to my Harley, well, it's to much of an old friend to disown.

I got my first one in 1989 and I still feel the same way about 'em.

And the truth is, most HD riders will never 'get it', but who cares..?

Bang on David, the first time i rode it i said to myself, "I get it"! Hence the reason I got one....

Some people need to take a test ride on a post '09 touring HD.

They'll find a very capable bike which is far more likeable than the more efficient Gold Wing.

For sure it's slow without the stage1 mods [then it's less slow:D] but it makes no odds.

FLHT handles and stops well and is as smooth as anything out there [really]. Ground clearance is not a problem.

Build quality is excellent and reliability in the last 25k miles has been as good as my R1100GS - and that was [and still is] damn near perfect.

You don't have to buy into the life style: it's your choice. I still wear the same kit as when I had my GS and it done me no harm.

Arguably not the best, but the one I enjoy the most - and that's really the HD bottom line.

Test rides are easy to come by.

a harley makes you feel good and a bmw is good to ride

as a lot of bikes are just used for a quick spin, so many people never tell the difference and for them the image is what makes them choose one or the other. :hide

...and as for what's like to live with....... maintenance couldn't simpler.

With no injectors to balance nor valve clearance to check a DIY major service costs no more than some engine oil [Morris V Twin: £110/25L] and transmission fluid.

Worried about polishing? Again it's your bike, your choice. Cover it ACF and clean when you maintain it.

Same as a GS in this respect - a dirty one seems to bestow street cred :nenau

I really want a Road King with hard bags, (the proper RK IMHO), now is it possible to fit a QD Tourback a la Electra Glide to a Road King for my dear, long-suffering pillion???

Unless you really need it, I'd forget the Tour Pak, just fit the Road King back rest, and away you go :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom