Honda NC700XA

Test ride NC700X Dual Clutch

Had a test ride on the N700X Dual Clutch (automatic) yesterday. Picked it up from Padgetts of Batley but was only allowed a 30min ride due to Honda insurance restrictions and the excess was £1000 so no falling off!

I set off in S for sport mode as recommended, first thing I noticed was how light and maneuverable it was, looking down it was already in 3 rd and I hadn’t really noticed the gear changes. Brakes were good and progressive with no fork twist I could discern from the single sided disc. Switching to D mode (drive) the engine was more subdued but kept up with town traffic no problem at all. It’s obvious the engine has loads of grunt, when you think it should be struggling it just digs in and moves on smoothly. Switching to Manual change the gears slip in and out just as smoothly as it does in auto, its quite satisfying accelerating up through the gears on a steady throttle just pushing the button for the next gear, slowing down through the gears the electronics adds a blip to the throttle on the down change to help smooth things out, very clever! Now if your in S or D and press a gear button the gearbox will change up or down depending on which button you pressed (can be used as a manual kick down if your accelerating, but I’m pretty sure the bike kicks down of its own accord anyway, pushing the button may just be quicker).

A couple of negatives.
Firstly, I was aware of a little mechanical harshness in the transmission, it maybe a tight chain, but I didn’t check, anyway, this bike was very new with only 20 miles or so on it so maybe it would subside, but its worth being aware of.

Secondly, the suspension. Mostly it seemed fine, that was until I rode over a short rough section of tarmac, helped by a very firm seat the vibrations from the back wheel drove up my spine and literally rocked my head, blurring my vision, it was very close to being painful! Not nice! Dave on his DN01 was aware of the bit of rough road but it had been no problem to him and my RT would have rolled over it like it was hardly there.

Mostly I was very impressed; the engine has loads of low end power and is astonishingly fast away from the lights with a good twist of the right wrist in S mode, from my short ride I only felt the rear suspension lets it down really.

Rode Dave’s DN01 almost straight after. This is a Honda automatic too, same size engine give or take, but fluid drive rather than gears. Personally, I prefer the DN01’s fluid drive, its a little smoother and the suspension is much better, altogether it’s a better built machine but as it was originally near twice the price the NC700X is now, it should be. Only down side of the DN01 is wind blast, I didn’t notice it so much on the NC700X, but then again, I didn’t go that fast.

Attachments

• NC700X.jpg
    NC700X.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 498
Fitted a can on mine this morning and it sound proper and looks much better with a smaller close fitting can :thumb

Fitted a can on mine this morning and it sound proper and looks much better with a smaller close fitting can :thumb

Any chance of some pics of the new exhaust and maybe a video too?
Please.

:cool:

For Chris :thumb2

Rad guard
Stiebel magnum (Nippys finest)
Pyramid extender

Attachments

• DSCF0124.jpg
    DSCF0124.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCF0125.jpg
    DSCF0125.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCF0131.jpg
    DSCF0131.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 388
R&G Hugger
R&G Paddock bobbins/protectors
Ixil Can

Attachments

• DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCF0128.jpg
    DSCF0128.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCF0126.jpg
    DSCF0126.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 390
For Chris :thumb2

Fantastic, that exhaust looks great.
Such a great looking bike all around, looks well finished and though out. Typical Honda
tbh has really got my attention
I have a demo booked for Friday afternoon.

:cool:

Had a closer look ...

... at the DSG scooter version the other day when my friend was given one as a loaner after his burgervan boiled its battery. As I previously mentioned it is very slim, maybe 8" on my T-Max :eek: which makes it a brill traffic tool, however the 'trunk' on the scooter is less than useful and will barely take my open face Roof helmet and top-box fitting looks to be a pain :confused:

:cool
Not the best video, but gives an idea.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ikOttXstEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Suprisingly good as thats exactly what it sounds like, see if you can find one with the baffles out :D and for circa 200 sobs its the best looking one i have seen for this bike.

Den, have you done enough mileage to get an indication of average fuel consumption yet? Best and worst to date?

Despite having a bloody chain I'm considering one of these with a manual box as a commuter and general run-about. Easy to sort a crude rear shock and maybe change the oil in the forks if they are under-damped.

How many miles have you done to date and how do you like it?

To be honest i have stopped checking the mpg :D , i have just over 700 mls up now and still liking it, thinking i might pop up to your part of the country and take this instead of the S10.
For info a guy on the NC forum just posted that he has a Pan but as he was enjoying the NC so much he loaded it with Givi kit and has just got back from a 5k trip to the Black Sea, left with 700 mls on the clock. Company was a GS12/Dullville and Crossstourer, no probs keeping up, lowest mpg was 65 on autobahn @ 85/90 mph highest was trundling round Croatia and getting 98 mpg , ave over the 5k was 80mpg, no oil used and tyres still got loads left @ just under 6k showing (still 2k before next service !)

hope this helps

lowest mpg was 65 on autobahn @ 85/90 mph highest was trundling round Croatia and getting 98 mpg , ave over the 5k was 80mpg, no oil used

:eek::eek: 98mpg!!!! I'm starting to come around to the idea of a chain. It's over £6 per gallon for regular fuel now, it won't be long before it's £10 per gallon. For my 1150 at 50mpg average that would be £2,000 per year. The NC would cost £1250 at an average of 80 mpg. Mind, that chain lube probably costs a fortune:rolleyes:

I saw one in the flesh for the first time today, thought it looked really good :)

Love the silencers you've fitted to yours Big Den, they suit the bike perfectly.

Andres

kind of confused why you wuld put expensive load pipes on a bike bought to save money though.:nenau

( but then I detest loud pipes with a vengance - probabaly a throw back from noisy slow Tritons and quiet fast Z1000s :D)

kind of confused why you wuld put expensive load pipes on a bike bought to save money though.:nenau

( but then I detest loud pipes with a vengance - probabaly a throw back from noisy slow Tritons and quiet fast Z1000s :D)
I hate loud cans too but i also like a bike to sound like one not a sewing machine also:-
The wankers in cars may claim they didnt see me but they cant say they didnt hear me :rob
Its not that loud with baffles in (bit like a Guzzi Griso) but loud enough that they know your there, plus it wern't expensive, looks better than standard, stainless so wont rot like original, makes the bike look different to all the others that will be covering the land soon, lot narrower so less chance of clouting owt,helps some Spanish bastards keep their factory going, helps the importer keep his business going, helps my local dealer keep his business going, give me a while and i'll think of a few more reasons :augie

Back
Top Bottom